Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Some new questions...I think

Some new questions...I think

Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Some new questions...I think

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post but I've been searching through the site for the past few months. There is a lot of great information here, and everyone sounds very nice. I've been verbally told that I have a job and simply waiting on the official offer and confirmation of work permit. I currently live in Hamilton, Ontario and work in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I will be moving to beautiful Barbados with my wife once confirmed.

I'll try my best not to repost questions that have already been answered so I'll start with the least important items on my list.. ;p

1 - I was wondering if anyone knows of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ / Grappling) clubs on the island.

2 - For any of the Canadians that visit this site, "I think Foxy is canadian ", have you considered taking your satellite box with you to the island? I dont even know if this is permitted. I just have a great package with Bell Canada for satellite TV and would love to keep it with me..I know, very selfish. Mind you, I don't plan on watching very much tv anyway.

Big thanks to everyone who has provided great information on this site.

BeachZombie
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some new questions...I think

Hiya Zombie,

Back home, we're practically neighbours! I'm from Toronto (Y&E).

I don't know about BJJ here. But I do know a couple of Brazilians here, so I'll ask when I see them tomorrow

I also can't help you with the satellite question, but I think some others were talking about it the other day, so hopefully one of them will chime in. Maybe Zanne had some info on that front? We don't watch much tv... we're even thinking of cancelling our cable because we do everything on the internet.

Speaking of internet, you might want ADSL here if you do anything beyond checking email online. It's as close to what you're used to at home as you'll get here. Order it as soon as you arrive - ours took 6 weeks because apparently there wasn't a port available in our area at the time

Will your company be arranging the work permit for you? Or do you have some sort of citizenship? I've just gone through all the work permit stuff, as have many others on this forum so ask your Q's and you'll get some A's.

Have you been to Barbados before? Do you know where you'll be living or looking to live?

Best of luck to you!
Foxy
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Beach Zombie,

If you brought your Bell satellite box here you'd need a dish. So, are you planning to bring your dish with you?

There is a Judo club on the island and a Capoeria club--i know neither are BJJ, but I thought I'd suggest some alternatives in case. There's also 2 Shotokan Karate clubs on the island if you feel like doing something completely different :P

How long ago did your company apply for a work permit for you, and, if you don't mind my asking, what company?

I'm from Halifax, N.S., so the Canadians have started hijacking this website :P
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bimchick, you beat me to it . The Brazilians told me the same thing this morning (Capoeria - thank goodness you spelled that before I had a chance to butcher it).

Apparently there are places in Bridgetown and Worthing to do Martial arts, as well as somewhere close to the PomMarine. So it sounds like you'd be covered if you wanted to try something else.

Originally Posted by bimchick
the Canadians have started hijacking this website
haha, as for Canadians, I was surprised how many Canadians are here in Barbados. On top of that, everyone we meet seems to have some sort of connection to Canada (cousin/aunt/brother lives there). I guess I assumed we'd be largely outnumbered by Americans.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

HaHa Foxy...we don't even have a TV! We rely on internet for most things...otherwise we are on TV detox, 1 year and counting.

Sorry I can't be of help!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

OOPS! my bad... I guess I got that one confused pretty well, didn't I?

We're almost as good - I can't remember the last time our tv was on. haha!

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Nov 8th 2008 at 1:54 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Hiya Zombie,

Back home, we're practically neighbours! I'm from Toronto (Y&E).

I don't know about BJJ here. But I do know a couple of Brazilians here, so I'll ask when I see them tomorrow

I also can't help you with the satellite question, but I think some others were talking about it the other day, so hopefully one of them will chime in. Maybe Zanne had some info on that front? We don't watch much tv... we're even thinking of cancelling our cable because we do everything on the internet.

Speaking of internet, you might want ADSL here if you do anything beyond checking email online. It's as close to what you're used to at home as you'll get here. Order it as soon as you arrive - ours took 6 weeks because apparently there wasn't a port available in our area at the time

Will your company be arranging the work permit for you? Or do you have some sort of citizenship? I've just gone through all the work permit stuff, as have many others on this forum so ask your Q's and you'll get some A's.

Have you been to Barbados before? Do you know where you'll be living or looking to live?

Best of luck to you!
Foxy
Foxy is Y&E - Yonge & Eglington? If so I lived at Avenue & Eglington for a year a few years back!!!

I see the others have jumped in with Martial Arts already - there are several in operation and there is a Jiu Jitsu one here - but not Brazillian.

In terms of your satellite box - I have no idea - however I will ask my friend the TV engineer as he re-configures digital boxes from other countries .... however you'll only pick up what we have in the airwaves here .. so you won't get all the channels you want anyway.

In terms of ADSL check the post about laptops - that has the info on it - good luck with the move!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mad Q
Foxy is Y&E - Yonge & Eglington? If so I lived at Avenue & Eglington for a year a few years back!!!
Yep, that's correct. It sounds like we were also neighbours without knowing it! What took you to Toronto? Or are you from there?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Yep, that's correct. It sounds like we were also neighbours without knowing it! What took you to Toronto? Or are you from there?
I was working at AT&T/Rogers 99-00, a great year ... LOL ....

Brief history .... born in UK, raised in Barbados 3 to 18, back to UK, 2 years in the US, 1 year Canada & 1 year in India .... all work related - background in Telecoms. Worked for a year here in 2006 for a year for C&W as a consultant ... got the bug back and moved back permanently 4 months ago.

But my year in TO has to be one of the best! ....... amazing times .. ahh boy!! Helped that I was newly divorced at the time ....

Q
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hilarious! I'll save everyone the annoyance of reading our correspondence and send you a PM
Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

but reading other people's correspondence is what brings me to this forum each and every day!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, Thanks for all the info guys. I'm sure I'll be able to find something close to BJJ or Kickboxing. As for TV, I only need to watch approx once per month to catch UFC fighting.. yes, big fan of MMA. Looking forward to hearing about the tv engineers answer on the SAT.

I work near King and University and take the GO train in from Burlington everyday. I love Canada but hate snow, the commute, pollution (in my area) and not living near an ocean.LOL

Hey Foxy, did you have any issues with your electronics at all? From all the reading I've done, it sounds like anything from Canada should be ok. I'm planning on shipping all my stuff.

I believe I'll be working in Warrens. Any suggestions on a town to live in? I found a few spots in Holetown but not sure if that's too far. I hear that traffic is quite terrible in some areas and assume Warrens has it bad since it seems to be a business center.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

You shouldn't have any trouble with your electronics. The only thing that can sometimes be an issue is the DVD player, because here you can rent DVDs of various regions. So, if you've got a DVD player that isn't multi-regional, you may run into trouble when renting them.

We just bought a multi-region DVD - look for Netsirk's post a couple of weeks ago for the model.

Hm, commuting from Holetown to Warrens might be a bit of a nightmare. Traffic is pretty bad going up to Warrens, especially at peak times. I don't know if there would be a back way you could use from Holetown to Warrens.

Warrens itself is nice, but not super-close to the ocean/sea (don't know if that's an issue for you). We are enjoying living near the sea on the south coast, but I'll admit the air is exponentially nicer if you go inland a bit, especially east and north coasts. It really just depends what you're looking for.

Hope that helps,
Foxy

p.s. if you don't have a ton of stuff, look into shipping in barrels. It seems to be reasonable in terms of pricing. A friend from Hamilton did that.

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Nov 10th 2008 at 12:45 am. Reason: forgetfulness
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

If you're going to be working in Warrens a nice area near by is called Edghill Heights (or the surrounding area). Great views up there, and it's cool. It's in the parish of St. Thomas and isn't a far drive at all to Warrens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.