Some information please!

Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Islandhopping is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some information please!

Morning all!

I am a white british expat currently living on one of the other islands and considering the possibility of a move to Barbados. I have looked at housing (rental) and costs, similar to where I am at the moment. However, not knowing the geography of the island, could someone please point me in the best area to look based on ease of access to schools and amenities?

Also I have 3 boys aged 14, 12 and almost 5 who would need to go into schooling. Can anyone recommend schools for them and advise of the costs?

I am aware of the work permit situation and immigration procedures (to a degree, and they sound somewhat similar to where I am - sorry being a little vague as to my location but it's a small island and.... Well you know the rest lol! Am just sounding things out at this present time).

So, am experienced in the usual things of island life but would just like aheads up on those couple of things.

Really appreciate your help, I know forewarned is forearmed having made the leap a few years ago from the Uk to the islands!

Many thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some information please!

Hi Islandhopping,

Can't help with your questions I'm afraid as I am in the US, but I wanted to pop by and welcome you to the community. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Our Barbados members are a helpful bunch and I am sure that someone will be along shortly to share some info. In the meantime pull up a seat, pour yourself a brew and take some time to read through the other threads in this section. You may find that some of them touch on the questions that you are asking.

If you ever get stuck on any of the sites bells and whistles please don't hesitate to let me know. You can either Private Message me by clicking on my username or you can post your site questions anytime in our Site Feedback section.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Well that is a lovely welcome Sue, many thanks!

I used this site when I was leaving the uk and the members were a real help :-)

So, yep doing as you say, have a look around to see what I can find. And as you say hopefully one of the guys will be able to give me a heads up on some stuff.

Have a great evening
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islandhopping
Have a great evening
You too!!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:10 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought is.. are you able to more here.. are you working?? do you require a work permit?? you may think the situations are similar.. but really they may not be (I'm not trying to sound harsh but you can ask others on the board about this one).

The children would need a student visa which are usually attached to the Work Permit or your ability to live here. The 14 and 12yr old would be in Secondary and almost 5 in Primary. Depending on the what type of education want and the money spent, you could try The Codrington School, which is an IB program school. All 3 in the same place, but.. costs iare exorbitant (in my mind and for Barbados). Providence Elementary has just opened a secondary school but not sure to what age at this point. this would be another option for all 3 in the same place (if the 14yr old can go there). St. Winifreds, would also accommodate all 3. both are private and follow the Ministry of Education syllabus for educations.

Where you live may not determine where the child goes to school, it's more your preference.. West Coast or South Coast is usually preferable, but The Warrens Area of St. Michael/St. Thomas isn't bad, nor St. George, in some areas, for getting where you need to go. Activites happen all over, so don't let that determine where you live either..

Regarding Costs. Have a look at Carilist.com for rental costs as a gage.. and check the Super Centre website to see grocery costs. Barbados isn't cheap for many things, so also be aware of that as well.

Good Luck and best wishes.. I hope this has helped even a little bit.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi sunniebgi!

Many thanks for taking the time to give your advice, it is much appreciated!

I have had a look at the board and comments regarding work permits etc and they follow on with what is practice with where we are at the moment. Certainly a large dollop of patience and tolerance is required when dealing with these issues, so really have been there done that lol! It is the same here with the work permit and students visa.

The kids are currently at private schools here, which is VERY expensive and judging from your comments the situation would be the same there. I will have a look at the schools you have mentioned so thanks for the heads up.

I have had a look at rentals on line, again the prices are much the same as here but nicer properties! I have a friend who lived in Barbados and she also recommended the areas you have mentioned. With regards to food costs, my OH bought a paper back with him following on from a recent visit and there were some things advertised in there which when compared were similar in price to where we are. Sorry being cagey about where we are but as I said before small island, people talk lol!

So again, thanks for the info on the schools, I will have a look into them.

Have a great day!