Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

single retired and widowed woman - what would it be like to move to Barbados?

single retired and widowed woman - what would it be like to move to Barbados?

Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:59 am
Just Joined

lindapilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single retired and widowed woman - what would it be like to move to Barbados?

Hi everyone,
My husband, who was Bajan, died a few years ago. We had thought of moving to Barbados many times and now I am thinking about doing so on my own. I obtained citizenship several years ago and presently live in Canada. Can anyone tell me what life on the island is like for those of us left without partners? (I'm not looking for one.) What would I need to be aware of? Would I be covered under Barbados health care or would I need to purchase private insurance? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:28 am
Just Joined

LGWBGI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: single retired and widowed woman - what would it be like to move to Barbados?

Originally Posted by lindapilgrim
Hi everyone,
My husband, who was Bajan, died a few years ago. We had thought of moving to Barbados many times and now I am thinking about doing so on my own. I obtained citizenship several years ago and presently live in Canada. Can anyone tell me what life on the island is like for those of us left without partners? (I'm not looking for one.) What would I need to be aware of? Would I be covered under Barbados health care or would I need to purchase private insurance? Thanks in advance.
Hi Linda,

So sorry to hear about the passing of your husband.
What have you got to lose in moving away?
You would I believe be covered as far as local medical care is concerned if you were taken into hospital. Doctors appointments, prescriptions etc all need to be paid for. Private health care is great if you can afford it.
My Grandad was a local Barbadian and he had private health care.
The care my grandad recieved during his illness was compassionate and allowed him to die with dignity.
You will make friends easily in Barbados there are many get togethers for expat retired persons. I have some family who have retired after working for many years overseas and they have as full a life as they want.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:07 am
Just Joined

lindapilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: single retired and widowed woman - what would it be like to move to Barbados?

Thanks for your response and encouragement. I would especially be concerned with finding friends as a single and it is good to know about get togethers for expat retired people.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:28 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Canadian Women's Club.. and if you are into things like Bridge etc, there are groups for these as well. Golf?? absolutely..

as a bajan, even having obtained it by marriage, you do have access to the healthcare system, but I'd suggest looking to private insurance and a private doctor. but that would be your decision.

just to advise... Barbados is not cheap at the moment.. prices going up on a daily basis, seems like. Check out the Supercentre.com website to get some ideas of groceries etc..

are there still any of your husbands family left on the island?? that may help in the "getting to know people" part of things..
Old Apr 11th 2013, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

bjporte is an unknown quantity at this point

As a local in the insurance business, I would also recommend you find a private medical insurance policy. Although, health care is available for you it is very basic and waiting times for semi-urgent care can be very long.