British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Should we relocate to Barbados? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/should-we-relocate-barbados-786969/)

The Sullivans Feb 11th 2013 6:58 am

Should we relocate to Barbados?

Hi we are a happy family with kids aged 10 & 11. We are potentially looking to move to Barbados in 2014, as I am lucky enough to be semi retiring. We want a better work/life balance and to spend more time with the kids. Our biggest fear is that they have had very high quality schooling in the uk (my son is on the waiting list for Eton entry in 2015). We don't want them to board in the uk if we are in Barbados, we want to be close to them. What are the schools in Barbados like? Codrington looks good but it's a long way from St James. Any advice very gratefully received. :)

Sunniebgi Feb 11th 2013 11:41 am

Re: Should we relocate to Barbados?

Barbados education system is very very good. At the level that your children will be entering the system (if they are 10 and 11 now.. they would be 11 and 12 then, I assume) which means they will both enter the Secondary School System.. I'd suggest that you have a look through the Barbados Ministry of Education Website (www.mes.gov.bb/, ) as well as CXC.org , Caribbean Examinations Council which will be responsible for the tests taken at the 5 form year (CSEC.. Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate - think O level) and 6th form level (CAPE - Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination - Think A Level). Depending on the subject, students can also take Cambridge Exams as well.

Many Barbadian students go on to England, the US and Canada to Colleges and Universities

The Codrington School is not based on the Ministry of Education Curriculum but on the IB System. It is the only school in Barbados under this system. Providence School now has a secondary school and from what I gather, while they do follow the Min of Ed and the CXC Curriculum, they also provide certificates to be used with in the Canadian Education system as well.

and nothing is ever too far to drive in Barbados.. ever..

Now.. the only other concern is your actual ability to live in Barbados. . You can't just come here and live.. there are immigration situations, work situations.. your children will have to have Student Visa's to attend school, which are usually tied to a work permit, residency etc.. sooo.. unless you are a Barbadian who has lived aboard and is coming home.. you have tons of money that you can show the government, you own a business in Barbados (which you may or may not be allowed to work in with out a work permit).. I'd highly recommend checking out with Immigration what type of status you might have if you do indeed tend to move here.

The Sullivans Feb 11th 2013 7:42 pm

Thank you so much - what a wonderful and comprehensive reply. I don't normally use this type of forum but it is a great reminder in how much help and kind heartedness there is out there. For you to take that much time to write that response to someone you don't know is actually very touching so thank you again.

In regards to your advice - great, delighted the schools are good I will do my research as you suggested. Re traffic and driving I agree no where seems that far but I read something from a post a few years ago with someone saying it took them an hour to get to the school and an hour back - hence my slight concern.

Re residency in Barbados I will check that out with immigration thank you.

Again thank you so much

Hannah Lou Apr 14th 2013 8:14 pm

Hi. I am new to this site. My husband has been offered a contract in barbados. We are just starting to look at schools and visas etc. we have 4 children aged 12, 11, 6 and 4. We are hoping to be there later this year or next if we decide we can live on the salary they are offering. Our biggest concern is school costs.
I don't have any questions yet but would like to get to know people .

The Sullivans Apr 16th 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Hannah

Thanks for the message. Our kids are 10 & 11. We are looking mainly at codrington school and like you we would love to meet up with / get to know some people in Barbados as its always scary moving somewhere new (even if the place is beautiful)

Best regards
Matt

Hannah Lou Apr 16th 2013 8:17 pm

Hi. We are also looking at the same school but with four children the fees were very high and we don't know if Simons salary will cover that. Also they dont have a place for our youngest who is 4. I am also trying to register to work as a physio. Where are you living now ? And when do think you will be there? Would definately like to know someone if we do go so love to keep I touch

The Sullivans Apr 16th 2013 9:16 pm

Hi yes the fees are higher than I thought they would be. There is another school which is also supposed to be good - Providence. Also St Winifred's. both good for you as all children can go to the same school. They are a lot cheaper from what I recall.

We are going over on Saturday to see immigration consultants, ax people etc, to visit Codrington School and view properties. I can tell you more about the schools the week after. We are hoping to move in August.

Regards
Matt

Hannah Lou Apr 17th 2013 8:38 am

Thank you so much for your helpful information we really appreciate it. I will contact st Winifred's today. I would like them all to go to the same school as the logistics of getting to different places will be a nightmare. You are much further ahead than us although my husband seems to think we will get there this year I think it may take longer. The responses about work permits etc all seem very negative. Have a great time when you go, we are hoping to do the same in September.
Talk soon

Hannah

Hannah Lou Apr 17th 2013 8:40 am

If you have moved by then maybe we coulda all meet up. We are not bringing the children tho

Hannah Lou Apr 17th 2013 8:43 am

Hi matt. Just realised st Winifred's is girls only secondary. Our children are boys. Hannah

The Sullivans Apr 17th 2013 10:59 am

Yes you are right! That's narrowed it down a bit for you then - are your kids in private school currently?

Hannah Lou Apr 17th 2013 11:14 am

No they're not. They go to a lovely local catholic school. The cost of the school will be the deciding factor whether we can accept the job or not.

Sunniebgi Apr 17th 2013 12:58 pm

St. Winifred's opened up their secondary to boys about 4 years ago, maybe 5.. but.. if you are interested, you need to make contact now.. The likely hood is they are full from the first year in primary straight through .. If you are looking for a primary/secondary total package for all your children to be in one school, this or Providence would be about your only option (if you didn't choose Codrington).

Hannah Lou Apr 17th 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks. We haven't decided yet. I have contacted codrington and providence. Thank you for the updated info on st Winifred's. a lot of the info on the Internet is quite old so that's great. I will look into that one as well.

Hannah

The Sullivans May 25th 2013 7:35 am

Hi Hannah hope you guys are well and your plans are progressing. We are almost there now. God clearing the house out and being totally ruthless about what we take was so time consuming. We are selling absolutely everything we can and taking very little with us really, very cathartic process though.

Let us know next time you are coming to the island would love to meet and discuss where we are at ( we will have already gone through a lot of the things you will be doing). And we may know more than 10 people by then that we can introduce you to :)