British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Shopping help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/shopping-help-632840/)

Spareshirt Sep 27th 2009 7:53 pm

Shopping help!

Hi,

Arrived in Barbados for a short stay at new home and need a couple of pointers.

Can someone tell me the best place to buy a BBQ on the island?
Also, I need a cable for a b&o hifi. Is there someone here that sells that sort of thing or is it best just to eBay?

Food shopping. We've used super centre in holetown but it is very expensive. Where's the best place to get food? I'm not really looking for imported stuff, just good local meat, fish, fruit and veg will do.

Thanks!

Sunniebgi Sep 27th 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Shopping help!

Originally Posted by Spareshirt (Post 7969555)
Hi,

Arrived in Barbados for a short stay at new home and need a couple of pointers.

Can someone tell me the best place to buy a BBQ on the island?
Also, I need a cable for a b&o hifi. Is there someone here that sells that sort of thing or is it best just to eBay?

Food shopping. We've used super centre in holetown but it is very expensive. Where's the best place to get food? I'm not really looking for imported stuff, just good local meat, fish, fruit and veg will do.

Thanks!

BBQ's are not cheap so depending on what you are looking for you could try Carters, DaCosta Manning's, Courts.. or PriceSmart.

Prices don't vary too much from supermarket to supermarket. Even though they are the same place, I find Holetown Super Centre to be more expensive than Big B's or J'B's or Warrens Super Centre.. on the West Coast you could try Jordan, but your not going to get the quality or quantity of items.

"Good Local" anything in the realm of fresh Fruits, Vegetables and meats is an oxymoron. Again, Pricesmart, if you don't mind buying more than you may need (I do but I feed a family of 5). Jordans has some (I know because some of it comes from my maids garden, but not sure when and what). Meats are also price controlled so the price is not going to be different depending on the store (except for like pricesmart who will get a discount from the distributor for bulk). I would have said Fruits and Veggies are good a Brighton Farmers Market but my hubby says they are becoming too expensive.. for those same items, stop at almost any roadside stand and you will likely get something good for a little less money.

Hifi, stereo equipment.. not sure.. but Courts or DaCosta Mannings might have. also there is an electronics store at Sheraton Mall that might sell something like that.. There is also a place in Bridgetown, on Lower Bay street next to Laurie Dash Store, that sells electronic equipment items.. Can't even begin to tell you the price..

Good Luck

Spareshirt Sep 27th 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 7969628)
BBQ's are not cheap so depending on what you are looking for you could try Carters, DaCosta Manning's, Courts.. or PriceSmart.

Prices don't vary too much from supermarket to supermarket. Even though they are the same place, I find Holetown Super Centre to be more expensive than Big B's or J'B's or Warrens Super Centre.. on the West Coast you could try Jordan, but your not going to get the quality or quantity of items.

"Good Local" anything in the realm of fresh Fruits, Vegetables and meats is an oxymoron. Again, Pricesmart, if you don't mind buying more than you may need (I do but I feed a family of 5). Jordans has some (I know because some of it comes from my maids garden, but not sure when and what). Meats are also price controlled so the price is not going to be different depending on the store (except for like pricesmart who will get a discount from the distributor for bulk). I would have said Fruits and Veggies are good a Brighton Farmers Market but my hubby says they are becoming too expensive.. for those same items, stop at almost any roadside stand and you will likely get something good for a little less money.

Hifi, stereo equipment.. not sure.. but Courts or DaCosta Mannings might have. also there is an electronics store at Sheraton Mall that might sell something like that.. There is also a place in Bridgetown, on Lower Bay street next to Laurie Dash Store, that sells electronic equipment items.. Can't even begin to tell you the price..

Good Luck

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful!

shines Sep 28th 2009 4:43 pm

also try Cheapside market on friday and saturday morning in town, you get all locally grown produce there at very good prices, there is also a meat section.... It is on the right just past the main post office as you are heading into town...

Supercentre Holetown is a rip off - sooooo expensive - I shop at Jordans in Speightstown and just make do with what they offer and also buy from the street vendors there.

Spareshirt Sep 28th 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks, I'll try Jordans.

Went shopping for bbq's and all I found was uber expensive gas powered ones. I'm looking for something medium sized an charcoal fired. Surely the Bajans cook with BBQ?

Even if it's an oil drum cut in half, I'd be more than happy!

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 28th 2009 8:57 pm

Gas BBQs are horrendously expensive here. But yes, you should be able to find a charcoal one - I'm sure I've seen them at all the stores previously mentioned... Dacosta, Courts, Pricesmart etc.

neal brown Oct 1st 2009 4:57 pm

There is no such thing as cheap food in Barbados,go to Just Grillin for an eat out.

Foxy_fromCanada Oct 1st 2009 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 7981283)
There is no such thing as cheap food in Barbados,go to Just Grillin for an eat out.

Totally disagree. We buy local produce and most of it is quite cheap but good. Anything in a package is more expensive.

Fish market: cheap! And excellent quality, not to mention very fresh.

Eating out: there are plenty of cheap places with great food, if you stay away from the tourist traps :)