Shopping

Old May 11th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shopping

Can you give me some of the names of the grocery stores, clothes stores, kid stores etc that are around?

Are there shopping malls with everything under the 1 roof?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect and what to shop for before we move over.

I found 1 grocery store online "supercentre" any other's?

Cheers

RS
Old May 11th 2007, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shopping

Originally Posted by Rumswizz
Q: Can you give me some of the names of the grocery stores, clothes stores, kid stores etc that are around?

Are there shopping malls with everything under the 1 roof?

A: The 1st mall that comes to my mind is Sheraton Centre. Located in the parish of Christ Church. Near the neighbourhoods of Sargent's Village and Vauxhall... The mall was a Computer microprocessor plant of Intel Corporation during the 80's. When Intel left the Island the building got converted into a mall.

Q: I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect and what to shop for before we move over.

I found 1 grocery store online "supercentre" any other's?

Cheers

RS
SuperCentre is the biggest. They're owned by Barbados Shipping & Trading and actually they have multiple brands in Barbados. (Big B's Supermarket, JBs, SuperCentre, etc.)

But do they have competitors...

*Trimart Supermarket.
*A one & Carlton Supermarkets.
*Bunch Buy Supermarket
*Harvest Mart
*PriceSmart(The wholesale buying-club type of supermarket)[ http://www.pricesmart.com/ ]

Shopping...

Department stores you have:
*Cave Shepherd's. - http://shopatcaveshepherd.com/
*Dacosta Mannings - http://www.dacostamannings.com/
*Courts(Yes they're still in Barbados) http://www.courts.com.bb/
Old May 11th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

T-11th

Thanks for the info...will check it out after this!

RS
Old May 18th 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

T-11th

RS
Ohhh I forgot the large mall. Sheraton Centre. That mall is located in the Sargeants' Village/Vauxhall area of Christ Church.

They don't have a website that I know of anymore. The only photos I have of it was the day the building had a large electrical fire back in 2004... (That wing has since been rebuilt ofcourse.)

http://www.justbajan.com/feature/200...aton/index.htm

But Sheraton has a Fitness gym, a food court, several appliance stores, you can pay your telephone bill there, they also have the movie theatre mega-plex there a.k.a Olympus Theatres. ( http://www.olympustheatres.com/ ) The motto is "The Mall that has it all". Sometimes the radio station Voice of Barbados will go out there and broadcast live from various store sales and such.

The building was the old computer manufacturing plant for Intel Corporation in the 1980's when they were on the Island.

Last edited by _Tropical_11th; May 18th 2007 at 8:39 pm.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by _Tropical_11th
Ohhh I forgot the large mall. Sheraton Centre. That mall is located in the Sargeants' Village/Vauxhall area of Christ Church.

They don't have a website that I know of anymore. The only photos I have of it was the day the building had a large electrical fire back in 2004... (That wing has since been rebuilt ofcourse.)

http://www.justbajan.com/feature/200...aton/index.htm

But Sheraton has a Fitness gym, a food court, several appliance stores, you can pay your telephone bill there, they also have the movie theatre mega-plex there a.k.a Olympus Theatres. ( http://www.olympustheatres.com/ ) The motto is "The Mall that has it all". Sometimes the radio station Voice of Barbados will go out there and broadcast live from various store sales and such.

The building was the old computer manufacturing plant for Intel Corporation in the 1980's when they were on the Island.
I always was under the impression that only the cinema went up in flames......
Old May 21st 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

T-11th

RS
Cave shepard is great for kiddies clothes and school uniforms. They even sell great brands for adult clothes.Not to forget the beauty department.
And if you lucky buy all tax-free!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by trutje
I always was under the impression that only the cinema went up in flames......
Hi trutje,
hmmm. I'm not quite sure where exactly the fire started, did you remember hearing it was the Olympus Theatres?? I thought I recall hearing that it did effect a large part of the Cinema... One article in the Barbados newspaper said people in the Cable and Wireless store were among the first to leave the store complaining about smelling smoke in the air.

But from what I recall in the article it was electrical related. I do remember that building being way smaller in the 1980s. Do you remember it? Since then they just kept building-on to it more and more and adding on a new section every few months.

I don't think they had ever upgraded the main power supply transformers in that small nook and that is probably what caused the fire to break out over there. That building was just built for a few machines, some computers, and a air conditioning system now you have about 75 stores in there, a gym complex, a multi-cinema movie-plex, a home gardening store, a food court, etc. I live in that neighbourhood there right on the sidestreet where Courts is.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _Tropical_11th
Hi trutje,
hmmm. I'm not quite sure where exactly the fire started, did you remember hearing it was the Olympus Theatres?? I thought I recall hearing that it did effect a large part of the Cinema... One article in the Barbados newspaper said people in the Cable and Wireless store were among the first to leave the store complaining about smelling smoke in the air.

But from what I recall in the article it was electrical related. I do remember that building being way smaller in the 1980s. Do you remember it? Since then they just kept building-on to it more and more and adding on a new section every few months.

I don't think they had ever upgraded the main power supply transformers in that small nook and that is probably what caused the fire to break out over there. That building was just built for a few machines, some computers, and a air conditioning system now you have about 75 stores in there, a gym complex, a multi-cinema movie-plex, a home gardening store, a food court, etc. I live in that neighbourhood there right on the sidestreet where Courts is.
Hi hi,
I'm not exactly sure of the name...The only thing I remember is that we couldn't use the cinema again.I have only left not even a year ago, so I have been in all the shops there I lived in St.James,so haven't noticed anything about the fire really.
I have only been in that cinema once, to see Shrek2 with my friend and our kids. I was amazed how modern it all was
Since then we always went to the drive-inn, fantastic!!!
I'm trying to picture Courts, but only can do from the inside of the mall.