Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Shipping items out to Barbados?

Shipping items out to Barbados?

Old Jul 23rd 2019, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Steve0z is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping items out to Barbados?

Hi all, just joined the site as i saw some discussion on this topic dated quite a long time ago so was hoping to get some up to date advice on the best way to do this and hopefully some pointers on recommended companies some of you may have used?

I'm looking at something in the region of a 20ft container, if anyone's done this before i'd appreciate any pointers etc ?

Mny thanks

steve
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping items out to Barbados?

Hi, I did it about 9 years ago. I simply found a moving company and they managed the whole house pack up and ship to Barbados. I am unable to find the details but will keep looking.

I do have some friends who recently did the same thing.. will try to get some info from them and get back to you soonest.

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2019, 2:22 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You havent said where from doh...

If from the uk ram shipping are the biggest / most reliable
Old Jul 24th 2019, 2:23 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that not everything is worth shipping, some stuff is better and cheaper locally sourced
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

julesdoopydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve, we did this 2 years ago from the UK. We used Britannia, they packed us up from home, stored for a few weeks and then filled a container and shipped it out here and arranged the agent we used in BIm. If you want any more details let me know I won't put it all on this first reply. Some tips and advice for you if you want it!! Regards. Julie
Old Oct 25th 2019, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Russle is an unknown quantity at this point

Look up a company called a1 auto transport. They do home moving and ship cars and they also ship to and from almost every country as far as I know. Someone I know used them last year and had no complaints. They do offer container shipping but I have heard that using that method can be somewhat rough on your belongings so keep that in mind if you're moving anything rare/pricey.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 9:51 am

Moving things by container is actually not rough at all. If you think about how big and heavy they are, when they move its very slow. The thing that might be rough is when they are moved by road in some countries, and also when opened at ports, the rat infestations - animal and human - can lose you valuable items. It has been known for new cars to arrive with bald tyres, a worn out battery and no stereo... Given the time at sea, while car transporters with thousands of 2nd hand cars on board are fine, individual cars have even had engines swapped...

Climate can be another concern. The container can get cooked or frozen en-route. You can tell if a container has been cooked, frozen, inverted or wetted. There are a whole series of alert stickers that will inform you by changing colour, tiny beads moving in a column etc etc.

I once packed 2 boxes of china, with zero padding, and sent them from the uk to here in a packing case of all sorts of stuff. Absolutely nothing was damaged... The reason was that the case was so big it had to be moved by crane and lorry. Moving it by hand would have been rougher.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Oct 27th 2019 at 9:54 am.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Russle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I should I have clarified. As you mentioned, I meant the overland part of the trip with a storage container, which is usually necessary unless you're right near the port. Perhaps not a problem in Barbados - I'm not sure. I hadn't thought of issues related to climate, but that's definitely something to think about if youre moving anything of high value.