Shipping a car to Barbados

Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lyndi1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a car to Barbados

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to ship a car over from the UK to Barbados please?

L
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

nilocp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping a car to Barbados

Hi Lyndi, it takes 10 days on the boat. I think the schedule is on the RAM shipping web site, www.jpram.co.uk.

Problem will be getting it in! They will not allow cars in older than 4 years.
Also you will pay duty and VAT on the car and the shipping cost.

Unfortunately you will pay this on their valuation, which bears no resemblence to the value in the UK.

I think they value cars on the basis of 10% depreciation p.a. on the reducing balance. But depending on engine size the duty rate can be up to 200%!!!!

That is unless you have a 'special deal' to get a car in duty free, because of your job or business.

Be interesting to hear how you go on.

Colin
Old Jan 28th 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Lyndi1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Colin.

We would be going there as 'Returning Nationals' so it might be a little different as far as the duty etc on the car - I need to check on that.

10 days to get there is very good though, was expecting it to be months

L
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Tania 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I finally got our car today but it has been a long and unpleasant process. We have an arrangement at work to import a car duty free but it took many weeks and ultimately some Wasta to get the letter authorising the duty free entry. I understand the process is at least as bad, if not worse, for returning nationals. It has taken 6 weeks to get our car out of customs and can take far longer - you will need to pay for a customs broker and there is a possibility that you will have to pay storage charges too...Good luck though!