Setting up new pre-school

Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

bahamamama33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up new pre-school

Good evening,
I am working on plans to open a new nursery/pre-school in Barbados offering year round care for children from birth through to school age, following the British EYFS curriculum.
My research has shown that there is a gap for another private pre-school on the island catering for international aswell as local children, which provides a high quality of care and a focus on early years education, at a lower cost than the private schools offer.
My main area of uncertainty is to where on the island would be the best spot in terms of density of expat families.
Any ideas/expressions of interest would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:33 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up new pre-school

That's very interesting, as most Expat Families use the current supply of pre-schools on the island as well as the fact that 3 of the private primary school now have pre-schools from age 3 as apposed to taking them at age 4 (the age a child goes into primary school here).. and I believe another is or has opened one as well. many of those use the Montessori method of teaching, but don't charge the extortionate rates I've seen for the same education of young children in US Montessori Preschools..

Not being familiar with the EYFS program, how would that fit for a child going into the local Barbados primary school system?? or would these cater to families of young children who will only be in Barbados for this short period of time??

to my knowledge, the West Cost has the most need for a private pre-school, but I could be wrong.. and I don't think there is anywhere specific that has a higher concentration than any other of the expat community.

Please understand, I'm not trying to crydown what you are trying to do, but also understand that you may have to get approval for whatever type of teaching/learning program you are going to use if it differs vastly from what the MOE suggests for that age group. They also have very strict guidelines for the layout of the teaching area etc. (bathroom access for both child and adult, eating areas, teaching areas etc.. )
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

bahamamama33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunniebgi and thank you for your reply.
The majority of places I could offer would be for children in the birth to 3 age range, with a small number of pre-school places.
The reason for following the EYFS programme is that it encompasses all children from birth to 5, and is compatible with the PYP programme. This way we will be able to nicely blend the EYFS and PYP during the pre-school year, preparing children for entry into one of the international schools.
I have been looking mainly at the West coast as it seems that there is a shortage here.
I have been in touch with the child care board and the ministry of education, so hopefully I will be fully aware of any restrictions I will face before I take the plunge!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:42 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

So really what you are doing is working towards a feeder school to the only international IB program school on the island, or for those people who are leaving the island after their child is ready for school.. I'd think that percentage is small compared to those who have children going into the primary school system in Barbados, whether public or private.

ands yes.. as stated, to my knowledge, the west coast is lacking in pre-school education, but or even middle of the island, easily accessible to east, south and west coast locations.

don't really mean to get involved in this part, but based on your name, you are not Barbadian??or you don't have a work permit, you would actually need need one to work in the school you are wanting to open. Just a thought..