British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Setting up a business (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/setting-up-business-615429/)

Belinda1974 Jun 18th 2009 1:14 am

Setting up a business

Hi all,

I haven't been in here for ages, sorry for that, but I was too busy the last months ;)
As some of you may remember, I am now living and working in Grenada, here now for over a year, and I really like it.
BUT my boyfriend is Bajan, and he doesn't really find work here in Grenada, so it is really hard.

I am now thinking about a possibility to go back to Barbados, but I do know that it might - again - not work out if my boss there tries one more time to apply for a work permit. He applied once and it wasn't granted (well, a few unfortunate circumstances I would say).

However, I am now considering other options, and I was wondering, if they will grant me a work permit if I set up a (small?) business there. How are these procedures, and how are the chances they grant the work permit to me? From what I know, I have to set up the company first, and then apply for work permit. Also, I heard, they would force me to employ a few Bajans. Does anybody has more information on that, or any idea, how I could manage it to get back to live in Barbados?
Marriage is something we are considering anyways, but not within the next year, so that's not in the picture for now. And, I couldn't work on that anyhow, so I do need to get a work permit.

Right now, I am travelling to Barbados from time to time, since I have clients there too, I am the director of a Grenadian company, so that makes it easier for me. But I am really thinking of returning to Barbados to live there, and rather travel to Grenada once a month because of business (I would NOT close down the business here).

I also have a daughter who just passed the Common Entrance exam very well (she got her 1st choice of secondary school!), keeping in mind that she didn't speak English up to last January, she really did very well ;)

I hope you have any suggestions for me, thanks in advance!

zanne Jun 18th 2009 9:52 am

Re: Setting up a business

Hi Belinda! My two cents would be that by most if not all accounts things on the immigration front have changed immensely in the last 3 years. It is really tough now.

Also I would add that if you are secure in Grenada, with the current economy, I would stay there. If I remember your field of work correctly-- it is among the areas (like mine) that is starting to slow down even if you are at the top of the pile. It would be unfortunate to get the work permit, come back, and then be told you have to leave if you lose your job.

Others like dipidy can advise on the small business angle.

Serendipidy Jun 19th 2009 11:41 pm

Hi Belinda

check out this prevous post where i provided some info - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589760

Speak to an accountant about opening an Offshore section of your Parent Company here tho???

It is even harder than ever now to get a work permit they just are making it as difficult as they can for anyone to get thru nowadays. My renewal application has taken 6 months and is still not sorted and a warning to everyone - if you get your work permit or renewal declined you get 2 weeks to leave the island and no return within a year!!!!!

I am in a very niche market and could bring offshore business to Barbados and im still being treated like a leper so bottom line is if you had bad experiences before expect twice the amount of issues since the new administration and all the "reforms"!!

Karine P. Jul 5th 2009 3:52 pm

Hello,
I have just read your questions and answers.
I am living in Martinique and wish to relocate in Barbades
I have an idea of business I want to create there, in fact it will be the same thing that what I an doing in martinique towards tourists.
I was wondering if it wil be possible to create it, to work in of course and then to employ barbadian people to help
Your answers upon immigration policy are stressfull
Is anyone can help ?
Thank you very much
Karine

Serendipidy Jul 7th 2009 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Karine P. (Post 7725680)
Hello,
I have just read your questions and answers.
I am living in Martinique and wish to relocate in Barbades
I have an idea of business I want to create there, in fact it will be the same thing that what I an doing in martinique towards tourists.
I was wondering if it wil be possible to create it, to work in of course and then to employ barbadian people to help
Your answers upon immigration policy are stressfull
Is anyone can help ?
Thank you very much
Karine

Hi Karine and welcome

What is it you want us to help with - you have not asked us anything specific that we could help you with

Karine P. Jul 7th 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks Serenpidity,
In fact I am looking for advice to create a small company.
I found an answer you made by june, about the creation of yours, that was very useful to me.
Can you tell me what is your company's activity ?
I would like to immigrate in Barbados with my family, when did you arrive ?
Is it easy to find friends ?
If you have children, in what school are they ?
How is the relations between people because here in Martinique it becomes difficult since a very strong strike last february ?
Thank you for everything.
Karein

Serendipidy Jul 10th 2009 8:59 pm

Hi

My company is in ICT or IT as they call it in UK

I have been here for 4 years now and no i dont have children so cant help there. It has not been easy to make friends but then not having children i dont do school runs etc - im a single female so inevitably end up having male friends or expat gfs.

Re the relations of people i dont actually understand the question so cant help.

Karine P. Jul 11th 2009 11:36 am

Hi Serenpidity,
As you are there for more than 3 years, have you been through the visa renewal ?
What are the mains issue of the immigration concerning working visa ?
Is it "easy" to obtain once you have created your company ?
Thank you

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 11th 2009 12:07 pm

Hi Karine,

The thing with work permits is not that you show you own your own company, but that you have qualifications that a Bajan does not. If your company is a house cleaning business, for example, it's not likely that you would be approved for the work permit because it does not require special skills that a National doesn't have.

However, if the company is specialized, and you can show that you need specialized skills, AND that there isn't a National here with those skills, AND that you are the person who has those skills, then the permit is more likely to be approved.

Whatever you do, I strongly suggest working through a lawyer. Things will go more smoothly and it will be much less confusing.

Good luck,
Foxy

Karine P. Jul 11th 2009 1:15 pm

Hi Foxy,
So if I create my company, and if management of this company is not something different than any other casual management (account, development, hiring people, ...), I can be refused for working permit and I will have to hire any barbadian people to run it without being in Barbados ?
So I will have to try to make this management job more specific in order I can be the only one to be able to do it.
The question is, is my husband can come in Barbades with me, once I have the work permit, even if he does not have a job?
Thank you very much.
Karine

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 11th 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Karine P. (Post 7743093)
Hi Foxy,
So if I create my company, and if management of this company is not something different than any other casual management (account, development, hiring people, ...), I can be refused for working permit and I will have to hire any barbadian people to run it without being in Barbados ?

That's correct. Just because you own the business doesn't guarantee you a work permit

So I will have to try to make this management job more specific in order I can be the only one to be able to do it.

Yes, that is correct also.

The question is, is my husband can come in Barbades with me, once I have the work permit, even if he does not have a job?

Unfortunately, Immigration is still a little old-fashioned that way and they don't usually recognize a man as a dependent to a woman (they don't even grant citizenship to husbands of Bajan women!). I am not sure if your husband would be granted a longer stay as a dependent on your work permit. I think you should ask a lawyer that question so you can be sure.

Bonne Chance,
Foxy

Karine P. Jul 11th 2009 1:46 pm

Will it be different if I was dependent to my husband?

I will surely ask a lawyer to help us.

Thank you for your advices.

Karine

Karine P. Jul 11th 2009 1:47 pm

By the way Foxy, what are you doing in Barbados ?