British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Sending x- mas parcel to Barbados - What is allowed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/sending-x-mas-parcel-barbados-what-allowed-773739/)

BlueMooon Oct 5th 2012 6:01 pm

Sending x- mas parcel to Barbados - What is allowed?

Hi - I would like to send a x-mas parcel to Barbados. I know that food stuff is not allowed, but only fresh things like fruit, meat etc, or can I send stuff like: coffee, cigarettes, tobaco, sweets, chocolate, cookies, and pate which is in a can? Anybody knows a site where I can get info? Thanks Blue Mooon

Serendipidy Oct 5th 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Sending x- mas parcel to Barbados - What is allowed?

Im purely taking a guess here but i would say you CANNOT take fresh foods like fruit meaat etc - I have received parcels before with things that are not perishable ie cans boxes of sweets cakes etc. Would not think you can send cigarettes because there is duty to be paid on them

BlueMooon Oct 5th 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 10315622)
Im purely taking a guess here but i would say you CANNOT take fresh foods like fruit meaat etc - I have received parcels before with things that are not perishable ie cans boxes of sweets cakes etc. Would not think you can send cigarettes because there is duty to be paid on them

Thanks. I know about the fresh foods. But I want to ensure that cookies, chocolate, candy is no problem. When you collected your parcel at the PO they were o.k. with the sweets? Any idea were to get information about the tobacco? I just was thinking of 2 packs - which is less than what you are allowed to bring in or not? I mean I don't want the person to have to pay duty, when they collect - that would be stupid getting a x-mas gift you have to pay for.

Sunniebgi Oct 5th 2012 8:28 pm

agree with what Serendipity has said.. and whatever you do, don't wrap it.. you can put the paper and ribbon in the box, but don't wrap the articles.. the person will have to unwrap them at the post office. and you will have declare amounts (as in money amounts) .. but as low as you possibly can..

Serendipidy Oct 5th 2012 8:29 pm

I got mine from the port ... i mentioned the fresh foods as you said in your post you could bring them but perhaps it was a typo

I had a birthday card and a keyring send via the post office and it cost me a dollar I have heard they open it up and decide there and then but thats just rumour ... hopefully someone will come along who can tell yo more

Sunniebgi Oct 5th 2012 8:32 pm

no rumors Dipidy.. if you recieve a wrapped package at the post office you will have to open it infront of the agent and they will determine the value to be paid at the time.. I've page as much as 100.00bbd for a gift sent to my infant daughter (because of the amount put on the value) and I've paid nothing.. or maybe 1.00 depending on what it is.. but YOU WILL have to open it on site..

BlueMooon Oct 5th 2012 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 10315783)
no rumors Dipidy.. if you recieve a wrapped package at the post office you will have to open it infront of the agent and they will determine the value to be paid at the time.. I've page as much as 100.00bbd for a gift sent to my infant daughter (because of the amount put on the value) and I've paid nothing.. or maybe 1.00 depending on what it is.. but YOU WILL have to open it on site..

I know for sure that you have to open it. If it is a small gift you pay your 1$ - Cellphones, CDs, jewelry is something different, I know. But the cookie think, they won't charge you, but is it allowed, or will they take it, like they do at the airport, when you have a sandwich or an apple you can't take it when you arrive. The custom destroys it.