British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   secondary Schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/secondary-schools-822581/)

Pasty Jan 22nd 2014 8:50 pm

secondary Schools

My family and I are moving to Barbados from the UK in July. Can anyone advise on their opinion of a good State Secondary School or cheapish private School where they would be most likely to be accepted and integrated?

Sunniebgi Jan 22nd 2014 11:21 pm

Re: secondary Schools

HI Pasty.. What are the ages and sexes of your children going into secondary School. this may make a difference as to the answer to your questions. The majority of Government Secondary School are fairly good.. some better than others.. however.. just because you look at one, doesn't mean your child will actually get into that school. there will likely be a test given, or if they already attend secondary in the UK, marks there may determine the school they would attend in Barbados. Harrison College, Queens College, St. Michael's, and Combermere are considered the top 4 secondary schools on the island.

there are only 3 private secondary schools that I would recommend.. The Ursuline Convent School (St. Ursula's Girls only secondary) , St. Winifreds, Coed) and Providence (fairly new on the secondary school scene). Codrington School has a secondary, but is an IB based education and doesn't follow the Barbados School Curriculum and is considerably more expensive then the other private schools. Lockerbee College (formally Learning for Life) is also a secondary school using the Barbados Min of Ed Curriculum. it is smaller and considerably more expensive then the others mentioned.

Pasty Jan 23rd 2014 7:26 am

Thanks for your reply,

my children will be 13, 11 and 7 when we get to Barbados. I will be working in St.Michael, we are not sure exactly where we will be living yet, we could stay in St.Philip near my wife's relatives or we could potentially rent in or near St.Michael. The two eldest are girls, the youngest is a boy.

Sunniebgi Jan 23rd 2014 10:47 pm

the 13 and 11 year olds (especially the 11yr old) will likely need to take a local entrance exam if they are going into one of the government secondary schools. Transcripts from their current school will help but, likely still have to take the test. this will determine which government secondary school they would be placed in.. you likely will not be given a choice except if there are a couple that are on the same results level.. and I'm not sure if, as you are just arriving on the island, if it will matter where you live. but it might.. this is a question for the Ministry of Education.

the private school should only need the transcripts but.. based on that they may or may not asked that they take an in school placement test to make a determination as to the correct form to put them in. Your 7 year old will be going into primary school.. so you may decide to send them to the same private school that also has secondary.. or.. to separate primary, if you choose to send them to a government school.

have I totally confused you???