Schools in Barbados

Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

KJLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in Barbados

Originally Posted by holly_berry
Thank you so much for that, I do appreciate your thoughts regarding Codrington. My son is very much in a structured environment at the moment and does thrive on it actually, so I am now a bit confused as to what to do. I have been told that St G's for this next school year Sept 09 is full and so my choices are becoming a little limited especially if it means spending a length of time in the car each day. Where else would you recommend? Thanks also re the pre-schoool information - yes definitely will look at those. Would love to meet up too, that would be great - it's always a bit daunting arriving somewhere so new! I will keep you posted as to when we arrive on the island.
I am reading these threads with great interest as I am a mother of two boys aged 5 and 3, also planning to move from the UK to Barbado (close to Holetown) around August this year so I'm in the same boat as many of you, trying to suss out which schools etc...

And when we get there, will be in contact to make new play friends!

Karen
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:56 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

KJLee, have you contacted any of the schools?? if not, I would highly recommend it as waiting until August, it means that most, if not all the schools will have filled their numbers, and you may not find space (at least for your 5 year old).

By the way.. the Ursuline Convent (St. Angelas) will take both boys as they start their programs from 3years old.

http://www.conventschoolsbarbados.co...page/Itemid,1/
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Is St. Angela's continuing on with Lower 1-- I seem to remember that at last years orientation they mentioned that Lower 1 was being eliminated.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:41 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing you mean lower 1 as the 3 year old class?? (I don't have any idea, as my daughter is at St. Ursula's, which is the secondary for girls).

I've not heard anything about them getting rid of that class, and i seriously doubt they will (but I know the school is doing some serious looking at it's operations from top to bottom so it could be possible).
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

That cam directly from Mrs. Sommerville's mouth but that was fall 2007...I hope that they add secondary for boys...
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:43 am

no chance of adding secondary boys.. was at a PTA meeting discussing the overall changes to the entire school and we were asked to put down pro's and cons.. of the small group of secondary school parents who attended, I was the only one who felt that the boys issue was a con.. meaning I felt they needed to add boys .. most, if not all the rest, are against it.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Well there is still time...I went through single sex education (girl's that is) and well it didn't do me any favors!
Old May 6th 2009, 5:37 am
Just Joined

expatbim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Barbados

Our family came to Barbados in the fall of 2008 with our two children, 3 and 6. We looked at all of the schools and we decided on Wills Primary School www.willsprimaryschool.com for many reasons. First we ruled out the local government school for our children. Although many have excellent academic records they condone the use of corporal punishment as directed by the Barbados Ministry of Education http://www.mes.gov.bb/index.cfm
Our family was not interested in having our kids hit, or see others be hit by their teachers.
Despite reports here that St. Gabriel's is not perfect to look at, I would say that it is indeed an excellent school and a truly wonderful experience for both the children and parents who attend. Although my children do not go there because it is too difficult a commute for us, I know many St. Gabriel's families who are very close knit and all of them report the same affection for this academic star of a school. Of all the convent school, St. Gabriel's seems to have the most progressive attitudes--and the morning parent coffee clatch is enviable! www.stgabrielsschool.org
St. Winifred's reputation is more conservative with truly outstanding academics as well. Winifred's and Gabriel share the tradition of putting on an annual Christmas Pantomime that is the talk of the island--not to be missed seeing. Those two schools switch off years doing the pantomime. St. Angela's is less discussed in expat circles but is also an excellent school. Getting a spot at any one of these schools is the hardest part. They are all heavily sought after. www.stwinifredsschool.com

The newest rising stars in Primary education in Barbados are Wills Primary and the very popular Canadian Expat school called Providence School www.providenceelementary.ifp3.com/ . Both are easier to get to and from with less traffic generally. Providence who founded by the Canadian Financier Eugene Melnick and is situated in and on the grounds of a beautiful Plantation House. The grounds are beautifully kept and the Canadians rave about this school. It is somewhat more expensive than all the other schools and it tends to lean so heavily toward expats that families preferring a more diverse and local experience may be turned off.

Wills Primary is a smaller private school located on the south coast. The school has earned a reputation for exceptional academic excellence quickly over the 10 years since they opened their doors. The tuition is very reasonable, the commute makes sense for many families, and the after school programs and activities rival the bigger more expensive schools (many are from the very same instructors). We love the diversity of students. While there are many British, Canadian, American and European expats, the school is equally comprised of local families and Caribbean Community (Cari-com meaning from other islands) families. Most parents are working professionals interested in academic achievement and are impressed with the Wills community and the staff's motivation to grow the school in a positive nurturing way. The resulting high schools on the 11+ have been nothing short of astonishing. Plus, our kids love Wills. It small and humble and just perfect. Wills have made our time in Barbados a blissful experience. We are so happy to have made this choice.
www.willsprimaryschool.com

I hope this hopes another family like ours out there!
Old May 6th 2009, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

KJLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all the advice - I hadn't heard of Wills School.

However, we are in a situation now that we need to set up an IBC which we have been advised could take 6-9 months. It will be tricky registering with a school who will want their next term's fees way in advance when we are not sure when we will actually be able to move to Barbados. We had wanted to move over there this August but that is looking unlikely now.

Where did you move to Barbados from? We are in the UK and the children are aged 3 and 5 now.

Regards,
Karen
Old May 6th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had forgotten about this thread but after re-reading some of it I think that each family needs to do their due diligence-- I have never been a cheerleader for my son's school (here or in the States) because what is right for our family might not be right for another family.

So I would suggest that as a family you conclude what you want from a school, prepare your questions, ask them of the school and evaluate the answers-- then make a decision. And please don't let traffic be a determining factor in your child's education. There are parents/children in my son's school (that travel from St.Peter to St.Michael) that must leave home at about 6:30 to arrive at the school between 7:00 and 7:15. Barbados is a traffic nightmare. We don't live far from school but we leave early beat the traffic, and when we get there early we read a book or play a game. Besides, driving kids around is what parenting is all about! And when they get big enough to drive themselves around we will find ourselves longing for the days when they were small children!
Old May 6th 2009, 9:51 pm

There is already an IBC School in Barbados.. The Codrington School. http://www.codrington.edu.bb/tcs/public/default.asp

Originally Posted by KJLee
Thank you for all the advice - I hadn't heard of Wills School.

However, we are in a situation now that we need to set up an IBC which we have been advised could take 6-9 months. It will be tricky registering with a school who will want their next term's fees way in advance when we are not sure when we will actually be able to move to Barbados. We had wanted to move over there this August but that is looking unlikely now.

Where did you move to Barbados from? We are in the UK and the children are aged 3 and 5 now.

Regards,
Karen
Old May 6th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJLee
However, we are in a situation now that we need to set up an IBC which we have been advised could take 6-9 months.
Sunnie I don't think that's what she means, that was my 1st reaction too!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:21 pm

ah!!!.. IBC - International Business Company?? Not the IBC as in school.. ok.. got it..

I also agree with Zanne on the issue of really looking into all the options for schools and what is right for you. I actually have no problem being a cheerleader for my childrens schools (St. Gabriels Primary and St. Ursula's Secondary). For us they are great schools. My children loved St. Gabriel's. I can't say there were not bumps in the road and that things have always been 100pct but as a school, for our family St. Gabriels as a primary school has been the best. My oldes is doing well at St. Ursula's and it has proven to be the right fit for her. My second daughter has just done the 11plus with hopes of going to St. Michaels School. This will be a whole new animal for me as it is a Government Secondary School, and I'm not 100pct sure how I personally will handle this. if for some reason she doesn't make this school, I'm very happy (and she is too) to see her enter St. Ursula's with her sister. We shall see what happens when my son gets his shot in 4 years times (my hope and wish would be an easier transition to secondary without the 11plus.. but I'm a dreamer sooo...)

What I'm saying by this is not every school is the right fit for every one. and feel free to change schools if you need to.. other expats do it, bajans do it.. sooo.. just because you choose one to start off with, doesn't mean you are locked in..

Anyway.. Good luck.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I actually have no problem being a cheerleader for my childrens schools (St. Gabriels Primary and St. Ursula's Secondary). For us they are great schools.
ITA..what is right for each family, I have no problem with championing that...
Old May 7th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

mekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nicemekadag is just really nice

Hi

I lived in Barbados about 12 years ago for about three years and my daughter went to St. Gabriels and loved it - it is a good school even though it looks like it needs painting etc but the education and teachers are excellent. My daughter is now a high school teacher and remembers with fondness of her time there.

Julia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.