British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Schools - Age 12+ Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/schools-age-12-help-761795/)

leedsloiner Jun 15th 2012 8:33 am

Schools - Age 12+ Help!

Hello,

I posted just over 2 years ago for help when it looked like we would be relocating to Barbados. However, the move fell through and we have been in the Middle East ever since.

There now appears to be a strong possibility that a move is back on the cards and I would appreciate any friendly advice regarding schools etc.

We have 3 children, 12, 8 and 6. I had previously communicated with St. Gabriels but now our eldest is too old and I can't seem to find anything on the net for him!

I have answers for most of my questions from other recent threads but any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much!

Kind regards,

Andy

tainsh Jun 20th 2012 11:43 pm

Re: Schools - Age 12+ Help!

Dear Andy
I have just seen this message, but if you are in Barbados, you could come and visit the Codrington School. We are a small International Baccalaureate world school, that runs the Primary, Middle and Diploma years programme aged 4-18 in the school. We have a very international student body with 37 different nationalities, and experienced teachers from all over the world. Myself and my wife who both teach in the school, were teachers in IB schools in Dubai for 10 years prior to coming to Barbados. If you want to look at the school website to get a feel for the school you can visit www.codrington.edu.bb
The school just broke up for summer today, but I will be here for the next week. Failing that I will be here in mid August if you want to come and discuss the programme. Good luck with the move and hope to see you soon.
Piers Tainsh

Lyndi1 Jun 21st 2012 3:47 pm

Hi Piers,

Just out of curiosity. Would a child be able to pick up the IB programme in the Diploma years instead of sitting A Levels (in the UK)? If yes, have you ever known anyone to do that and how did the child find the experience?

Sunniebgi Jun 21st 2012 11:27 pm

for boys in Secondary, if you are looking for private schools that following the Barbados Ministry of Education Curriculum, try either St. Winifreds or Providence. Both are not easy to get into, mainly because they are small and popular. Providence is going to be the more expensive of the two.

he would still likely need to sit some type of entrance exam through the Ministry of education to establish placement, but if he is doing well in the schools he has been in, he could fit into any of the top level secondary schools on the island.

Learning for Life is another option for secondary education, smaller, more like home schooling (not in the home) and does following the ministry curriculum.. but this as well as Codrington, are the more expensive choices to consider.

Much, at that point, will depend on the type of education you want your child to have and the amount of money you are willing to pay.

The Answer Jun 23rd 2012 9:47 pm

Once you arrive in Barbados you can simply go to the Ministry of education and inquire about possibly public primary and secondary schools which would be suitable to you based on the location of your residence in Barbados. St Winifreds and Providence are both private schools that you would have to pay for on a semester basis. There are many public primary schools for children 11 years and under, and secondary schools for children 11-18 years. The public schools are all free

Jweekes Oct 3rd 2012 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lyndi1 (Post 10131250)
Hi Piers,

Just out of curiosity. Would a child be able to pick up the IB programme in the Diploma years instead of sitting A Levels (in the UK)? If yes, have you ever known anyone to do that and how did the child find the experience?

Hi Lyndi,

My name is James I'm the PYP Coordinator at the school. I don't deal directly with the DP but I will forward this on to Piers to get his attention back to it. I've seen students come in from other systems and tackle the IB. It's generally a positive experience and gives much better preparation for university.
Thanks,

James

tainsh Oct 3rd 2012 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lyndi1 (Post 10131250)
Hi Piers,

Hi there
Sorry for the late reply. Students can come into the Diploma programme from any other system. It is designed so that students from all regions of the world with a range of systems can access it. It is recognised by universities as a programme that prepares students very well for the demands of tertiary education. Many top schools in the UK have moved away from A levels to the IB diploma programme due to the broad and rigorous programme. If you want to know more about the programme at the school please follow this link to a presentation i made...http://www.authorstream.com/Presenta...oma-programme/

BlueMooon Oct 5th 2012 6:52 pm

Check out St.Winifred for the 6 and 8 yrs old
and yes Codrington Colledge for the 12 yrs old