Schools

Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

flower26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools

Hi Guys,

Would anyone be able to tell me where to look for primary school uniforms and text books eg. prices of items etc. How does it work? Are you told what books to buy in advance or are there books that are used throughout any school term subject to update.

Thanks F
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:00 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools

the school your child will go to should tell you where to purchase their uniforms. Some from the different garment factories or from Cave Shepherd or Woolworths in Bridgetown. Prices vary and obviously depends on Girl or boy.

Text books as well are determined by the school. if it's primary, the books may be provided by the school and you would pay the school, or they would have you purchase them from several book stores (the school would give you a list).. Cave Shepherd (Pages), Clouster book store or Day's Books. again, prices vary on the book. Secondary books are done via a government "loan" system where you pay 75.00bbd for rental of books for the year and they are turned in at the end of they year. You can purchase these books seperatly as well (not cheap in some cases) and also purchases other text books as supplemental books.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Danibaje is an unknown quantity at this point

Uniforms: Cave Shepherd or Woolworth in Bridgetown

Textbooks: You are given a list at the end of each academic year specifying the books and supplies needed.
You can get textbooks from: Days Books or Cloister in Bridgetown. Supplies can also be bought from these stores or Cave Shepherd or Woolworth
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sunnie and Dani, that's great to know - I'll hold on to that information. Would you be able to tell me how much I should budget for school uniform and books etc for primary school children - just so that I have an idea.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:22 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

school uniform costs - girls possibly average 30-50.00bbd per dress, bloomers (yes some still where those). boys around 20.00 to 35.00bbd for shorts and 20-30.00 for a shirt. if you are coming from England, buy school shoes.. but then you still need to know whether black or brown (depends on the school). you can get school shoes here, but not cheap. I just paid 60.00bbd for a pair for my son, but they are manmade leather and will likely not last as long as the clarkes I purchased almost 2 years ago.

I'm giving rough guesses.. the secondary school my daughters go to, you purchase everything from the Garment factory and they had a sale of 20.00 per shirt last summer. My sons primary school (also where my daughters went to primary) has a PTA that sells uniforms at slightly more than Cave Shepherd would, but it's more convenient instead of having to go into Bridgetown. (and the uniforms can only be gotten from the school or Cave Shepherd).

Socks, for me, are also an issue here, even the ones from Woolworth. Terrible quality for more money than I want to pay. so I purchase loads when I'm overseas.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sunnie,

I hear so many rumours about how expensive school uniform is that I was almost scared to ask for fear of what you would come back with but that's not as bad as I thought it would be. I was thinking of bringing the Clarks but not sure if they wear shoes or sandals etc. Are sandals not really worn to school? Will need to check with the school but at least I have an idea of what I should be budgeting for.

Can't believe Clarks lasted 2yrs. They last 6months on my eldest boy whose feet just seem to eat all shoes and socks!!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:31 am

all schools where proper hard-sole school shoes.. Clarkes are MUCH MUCH better than some of the stuff they sell here (I'm sure they sell some of that there as well). We purchase Clarkes in Oxford in July 2009 and my sons are completely worn out. My daughters are still wearing theres (although my oldest, 14yrs, has a tiny hole on the side seam, but doesn't want to give up the shoes) Really Really good shoes here can cost upwards of 150.00bbd to 200.00bbd depending on the brand and whether or not you can find them. The shoe stores here only order school shoes once a year. so, Like me, if you need a size 6 shoes in the middle of February (like me) you will have to look and look and hope and pray someone has them. I found the last pair of black size 6's that one shop had for my son on Saturday.

some schools where brown and some black so you kind of need to know where they are going to school to get the right colour.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

That's really helpful info, Sunnie. Once again - much appreciated. Just trying to get the school to email me back!