School dilemma

Old Aug 5th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Bonniejane is an unknown quantity at this point
Post School dilemma

Hello,

We are moving to Barbados in 3 weeks(!) with my husband's job (British High Commission) and I'm feeling really excited and nervous now that our leave date is approaching fast.
We visited the island on a familiarisation trip in June to look at houses and schools for our older two who will start the equivalent of UK reception and year 4 out there. Out of St Ursula's, St Winnifred's, Wills and St Gabriels we liked St Gabriels the best by far - but because it was such a flying visit - didn't make it to Codrington. And because it was on the other side of the island to the High Commission and Hastings where we'll be living we decided against it.
But since then I've really doubted our decision.
The question I wanted to ask is directed to anyone with experience of either school.
My daughter will return to the UK in 2015 to take an 11 plus exam (we live in Watford) and hopefully get into our excellent local grammar. But I'm now wondering if Codrington would give her the best chance of passing the 11 plus here due to its small class sizes. I wasn't sure about the Baccelariate system and how well she'd transition so if anyone has experience of this I'd be glad to hear from them.
The only thing that puts me off about St Gabs is the class sizes (of 25ish students?) I wonder how they can teach a range of abilities (I'm guessing) when the students sit in rows rather than in small groups like my daughter's current school.
We're in the fortunate position of having places held at both schools but not for much longer. So if anyone has advice or experience to offer I'd appreciate it.
Also, does Codrington have air con? As much to my surprise, the other schools didn't.
Thanks,
Yvonne
Old Aug 10th 2013, 1:00 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School dilemma

I've been away so only now able to see this and respond.

If you have Chosen and been accepted to St. Gabriel's for both your children, you have nothing to worry about.

They will get a fabulous grounding in education and others in your same or similar situation (going back to the UK and having to take the exams there) have found the basic knowledge learned in Barbados and specifically at St. Gabriel's have helped there child do very very well on the test taken in the UK..

and Trust me.. they don't all sit in rows.. ok.. well they might..but not all the time. you will see them in groups, desks pushed together.. set in rows with desks facing desks.. all over the place...

These teachers have experience in dealing with a range of abilities and both the Infant and Junior departments have additional teachers who handle students who are struggling and also those who are excelling.

and not to worry about the air conditioning or lack of it.. This is the Caribbean.. it gets hotter where you are, than here.. and the classrooms are designed for airflow and have ceiling fans as well. .. and the uniforms the children wear are cool and comfortable. The girls wear a dress and can wear a loose fitting cotton short underneath

if you "life" revolves around hastings and collymore rock.. keep it in the area..
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Hannah Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , we are also planning a move in the near future with my husbands job. We have been looking into providence school. W have 4 children aged 13. 11, 6 and 4. It seems providence is one of he few that they could al attend together. If they were to attend st Gabriel's which secondary would they usually go to and which would be the nearest school to Christ church.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Bonniejane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your reply. It's very helpful and reassuring.
Hard to imagine our life in Barbados although its not long now untill we leave.
I should trust my instinct and just go with the school that felt right: St Gabriel's.

[QUOTE=Sunniebgi;10844061]I've been away so only now able to see this and respond.

If you have Chosen and been accepted to St. Gabriel's for both your children, you have nothing to worry about.

They will get a fabulous grounding in education and others in your same or similar situation (going back to the UK and having to take the exams there) have found the basic knowledge learned in Barbados and specifically at St. Gabriel's have helped there child do very very well on the test taken in the UK..

and Trust me.. they don't all sit in rows.. ok.. well they might..but not all the time. you will see them in groups, desks pushed together.. set in rows with desks facing desks.. all over the place...

These teachers have experience in dealing with a range of abilities and both the Infant and Junior departments have additional teachers who handle students who are struggling and also those who are excelling.

and not to worry about the air conditioning or lack of it.. This is the Caribbean.. it gets hotter where you are, than here.. and the classrooms are designed for airflow and have ceiling fans as well. .. and the uniforms the children wear are cool and comfortable. The girls wear a dress and can wear a loose fitting cotton short underneath

if you "life" revolves around hastings and collymore rock.. keep it in the area..[/