Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Salary - Taxes - Everyday expenses

Salary - Taxes - Everyday expenses

Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Rostchild is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary - Taxes - Everyday expenses

I am considering a job offer in Barbados and would really appreciate receiving help with the following questions.
Could someone provide information of the BB taxes on salaries?
If I make a contribution to a BB pension plan, will the contributions be tax free?
If I decide after certain number of years to leave BB, what can I do with the Pension Plan savings? Is there any tax impact?
I have read many comments about the very expensive cost of living in BB. What kind of categories of products and/or services are more expensive? Would you say that they are more expensive than in New York? or any other expensive city?
Are there categories of products and/or services that are less expensive?
If there are websites where I can look this up and figure it out by myself, please direct me to them. Thanks!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Salary - Taxes - Everyday expenses

I cannot speak on the taxes/pension issues, in regard to the cost of living...after having lived in NYC for 11 years I will say that if you want convenience as many NY'ers do then you will pay for it here in BB the same way that you would pay in NYC. That being said my husband and I have cut out most junk food/processed food and have switched to a healthier way of eating. We shop for vegetables every Saturday morning in Bridgetown, we eat fish from the Oisten's market and some chicken-- this can be done relatively inexpensively. In general consumer products such as appliances, and housewares tend to be more expensive than NY. I am happy to search for alternatives here and I have always been an economizer so I am not that frustrated by the prices, because I keep finding that you can locate quality things at good prices. I hope this helps.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hi Zanne

on Saturday you cnn go to Brigton Farmers market too for fresh stuff...

Sue
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Malcolm has me there at 7:00am-- rain or shine...but it is worth it!