Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Salary to have a decent standard of living

Salary to have a decent standard of living

Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Dave_2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary to have a decent standard of living

Hi

I'm thinking about relocating to Barbados for a job... Ive been offered roughly BB$120k p.a.

I have heard that it is pretty expensive there - would this salary be be enough to live etc?

Also - is it mainly single people of couples that move over - from reading a lot of the posts on the forum there seems to be a lot of couples in 30s - im 26 and single so would like to know what the nightlife is like over there!

any help would be great!!

thanks a million!
Dave
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:50 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary to have a decent standard of living

Dave, do yourself a favour and visit first - it's a great place for a holiday. Have a look around.

Just remember living somewhere isn't the same as living and working there. You get up when it's just getting light, it's hot and sunny all day when you're in an office and finish work when it's almost dark.
You get to see the sunshine at weekends, but every weekend is sunny!

Some friends of mine did move there for a while, but returned because they never saw sunlight!

Good luck
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:53 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_2009
Hi

I'm thinking about relocating to Barbados for a job... Ive been offered roughly BB$120k p.a.

I have heard that it is pretty expensive there - would this salary be be enough to live etc?

Also - is it mainly single people of couples that move over - from reading a lot of the posts on the forum there seems to be a lot of couples in 30s - im 26 and single so would like to know what the nightlife is like over there!

thanks a million!
Dave
Hi Dave

Seeing as the average take home pay for a shop worker or Petrol Station attendant in Barbados is around $1000 BDS a month ($12,000 BDS a year) then that salary should be more than adequate unless you want to live in a 5 bed house with a pool etc which might be a wee bit decadent for a 26 year old lol.

I myself could live on a Budget of between $40-$60k a year (when you are building a business you need a budget) so on the equivalent of £40k the drinks are on you!!

Someone once said to me that Barbadians party "too" much and I couldnt understand how that is possible - live here for 3 years and at your age you will find that out - I return to work in the UK for a rest lol!

There are a lot of nightclubs and parties and limes and beach bbqs etc etc etc - and a very active social scene in my opinon my best friend is 29 and she finds it hard to fit in work(as life should be in your 20s)

Many people would love to be in your situation so if you take it make the most of it.

Dipidy

Last edited by Serendipidy; Feb 12th 2009 at 2:02 am.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:13 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi Dave

Seeing as the average take home pay for a shop worker or Petrol Station attendant in Barbados is around $1000 BDS a month ($12,000 BDS a year) then that salary should be more than adequate unless you want to live in a 5 bed house with a pool etc which might be a wee bit decadent for a 26 year old lol.
one thing to remember. those shop attendants and petrol station workers usually live at home. and by at home I mean, you've got grandma, daughter and her son, grandson, and significant other, and all work and all pay to the upkeep of the house, the utilities etc. this is not uncommon, so while 120,000.00bbd is a great living and should be adequate, once you spend your money wisely, Bajans to have a way of making that dollar stretch alot further than just the average person.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

elkia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave_2009
Hi

thanks a million!
Dave

Hi Dave, I'm also considering moving to Barbados as well.. I'm 28 and single.. and currently working with my company on the relocation..I might see you there I'm hoping for some night life as well.. I'm visiting the island for a week in March to check it out to see if its really what i want to do.. Keep me posted if you take the offer ..
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Dave_2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elkia
Hi Dave, I'm also considering moving to Barbados as well.. I'm 28 and single.. and currently working with my company on the relocation..I might see you there I'm hoping for some night life as well.. I'm visiting the island for a week in March to check it out to see if its really what i want to do.. Keep me posted if you take the offer ..

Hey sounds - good - im very easy going - hoping to find a good social life there at weekends, plus a bit of surfing / beach time!! I have to decide by the weekend whether im taking it or not.. so have a good bit of thinking to do! will let you know what i decide!

thanks
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I'll b the 1st to say that Barbados can be a PITA some times (that's my new favorite acronym) but there is honestly no place I'd rather be-- $120KBB is more than enough for a single guy-- I must remind you about taxes, unless your company is covering them it will be 30%.