Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Returning to Barbados to live

Returning to Barbados to live

Old May 13th 2012, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Rickydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Returning to Barbados to live

Over the years, there has been many posts by Barbadian nationals returning to the island with their wives/husbands and kids, but there is very little afterwards on whether these moves worked out.
I am married to a Barbadian for over 16 years and we have a 14 year old son, we would really like to live in Barbados, probably after my son finishes school. We will most certainly not be in the jet set brigade, but in a modest house, with working being a necessity. We would be taking advantage of the returning nationals program with our belongings and car, and investing in a property headed fixer upper, with a little land for around or under the 85k, we were hoping to grow some produce to support our living costs and renovate the house ourselves.

Is there anyone out there, who has gone through the process, with an older child and limited budgets ? I would really appreciate any feedback, be it success or failure.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:26 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Barbados to live

sorry but have to ask.. is that 85k.. BBD/USD/GBP. I'm pretty sure you will not find a piece of land with even a shack on it for 85,000.00bbd (I'm I wrong?? someone tell me please).

do you have status in Barbados.. yes you are married to a Barbadian, but if you don't have residency and a work permit it will be difficult to work here. You 14 year old would be able to apply for his citizenship by descent, but I'd recommend going ahead and doing that as well.

You also need to consider the type of employment you are looking for. Many people are out of work and depending on what you want to be able to do, there may not be anything available.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is the harsh reality.

Also, regarding the son.. would he come with you, or go on to college/university where ever you are from?? The options here aren't great, so it's something to consider as well.
Old May 17th 2012, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Rickydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to Barbados to live

The real estate would be 85k GBP, I have looked through cariblist and through the years seen suitable properties. We did have a look at a few whilst there in July, I like the area around ragged point, St John and also st Peters.
Both mine and my sons citizenship's are granted and I was thinking about 6 form & college in Barbados.

As for line of work, I have been in accounts for over 12 years and am currently working towards AAT 4 technician and carry company accounts through to and including trial balance.

Thankyou in advance