British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Retirement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/retirement-863856/)

Helena1954 Aug 22nd 2015 5:28 pm

Retirement

Hello this is my first post . We are looking to move to Barbados in 2020 to retire and we are both financial secure we will rent rather then buy We are. Both professional employed and will have good pensions . My partner is Jamaican born moved to the UK when he was 12 and served in the British Royal Navy for 25 years he now works for Social Services for the last 20 years I'm a registered. Nurse and work within the NHS since 1980 35 years . I have joined this site to please receive any advice which will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Serendipidy Aug 22nd 2015 6:10 pm

Re: Retirement

Welcome Helena..we will help where we can ..what do you need to know?

Helena1954 Aug 22nd 2015 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Serendipidy (Post 11730313)
Welcome Helena..we will help where we can ..what do you need to know?

Every thing and any thing please and thank you for your contact x

Sunniebgi Aug 23rd 2015 11:58 am

Welcome to the group.. I'd first suggest that you have a look around at some of the previous posts.. while they might more pertain to people moving here to work, it will give you a good idea of what to expect. (money, banking, insurance, rent, food, etc).

I would also suggest that you check with Immigration regarding retirement to Barbados. Your partner is Jamaica by birth, so should hold some weight being a Caricom National.. however.. retirement, like moving here to work, has its own challenges where immigration is concerned. and renting, not owning, may or may not work to your advantage.. The solid financial backing will help, meaning you will not be a "burden" on the government
AND.. by 2020, things may have changed drastically from the way it is now.. be prepared...

julesdoopydoo Aug 24th 2015 9:04 am

Hi Sunni, I note your rather cryptic comment above about 2020.......I'd be very interested to know what you mean. We, too are intending to stay in Barbados as long as immigration will allow us - are there plans to change in the near future.

Helena1954 Aug 24th 2015 10:02 am

Good morning thank you for your reply , I will have a read of the other posts on this site too x

Serendipidy Aug 24th 2015 10:40 am

I agree with Sunnie..how things are in Barbados now could be very different then..in the last 5 years there has been a huge change in the advice that we are giving out to people...there is an election between now and 2020 and depending on who will be in government then will affect immigration attitudes and who knows what will happen between now and then with immigration rules with current government..when you empower yourself to learn more from the posts that others have put here you will begin to notice the distinct shift in advice we have given over the past 5 years

Sunniebgi Aug 26th 2015 3:16 am

That's pretty much spot on Dipity.. you just never know whats going to happen on this rock between now and then. if things go the way they are.. or, as I was told several weeks ago, this current government might actually get back in for a 3rd term.... well.. I'm outta here.. (maybe maybe not..) but having a difficult time dealing with the incompetence our current government has displayed from day 1 of the first term.. and especially their reaction to expats.. among many other things.

anyway.. that's how it is on a small island..