Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Residency for spouse of a Barbadian Citizen

Residency for spouse of a Barbadian Citizen

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency for spouse of a Barbadian Citizen

I'd love to hear from others who have gone through the same process that I am about to embark on.

I am getting married to a Barbadian citizen (she was born, raised and still lives here... a true Bajan). I am Irish.

I would like to know exactly what proceedure I will have to go through to become a regular resident. I am not a wealthy individual and my fiancee works in an average job with a monthly income of just over BD$2000 per month. Now obviously, if we wish to lead a comfortable life I will need to get employment. I have managed to get speaking briefly with the immigration dept and I was informed that I will have to apply for citizenship right away.
They say this process could take up to a few years and that I will not be able to work in the meantime. Surely this cant be right. How can I remain here and expect my wife to keep me financially on such a limited income. Apparently I would need to get a work permit in order to work here. I have already spent the past 3 years trying to get employers here to sponsor a work permit for me and have met only with failure. The fact is that the work permits are very expensive to aquire and many companies are unwilling to risk such financial outlay on a new employee, which is entirely understandable.

Surely there is a different immigration status one can aquire, as the spouse of a Barbadian citizen. A situation that would allow me to gain employment and become a productive member of society, rather than bumming around for
years until my citizenship is confirmed. I have been told that the system may work differently for females and that they can gain citizenship immediately. (It seems strange for a nation to still have such gender discrimination in
this day and age!!)... Anyway, I'm not too bothered about becoming a Barbadian citizen (as it can offer me few benefits in addition to my current EU citizenship). Not to say I would not be happy with Bajan citizenship, but rather that I would be just as happy with some sort of residency which would allow me to function as a regular resident (i.e. work, pay taxes etc.). I know that if my wife was to come back to Ireland with me, she can apply for residency immediately and after remaining in the country for 2 years it will be granted. During that 2 year period she will be allowed work or set up in business. After a further period of time she can then apply for citizenship.

Anyway, hard as it seems to believe, I cannot get any straight answers from immigration and it seems that noone there actually seems to know the current rules (it may be because new regulations are on the table), so as a result, I would like to hear from someone who has been through the proceedure. Maybe then I can get a better insight into what lies ahead.

Thanks alot for reading!! Looking forward to your responses.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residency for spouse of a Barbadian Citizen

Got no idea how residency for spouses works, though I do remember something about it being different for males/females. Nothing here happens in an instant though, so I'd forget about achieving any status while you wait.

Maybe this document, with the proposed changes to immigration, covers the info you need: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636022
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:28 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I recall reading recently that the status for foreign males marrying Barbadian females has changed to say they can obtain citizenship.. this was done a few years ago. When I came here 17 years ago, it was only females who get could get citizenship.

as for residency, I'm sorry to say, I don't have a clue and unfortunately not the easiest of information to get.

I had also understood they were trying to put into place some kind of Work Permit for those people who were trying to get residency or citizenship by marriage status.. cause you are right, how can you be married, live here and not work if you are trying to get residency.. and your spouse is here. I guess they expect you to go elsewhere to live while the papers are being proceeds.

good luck with all of this..
Old Nov 24th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, I don't know what the current rules are, but the Green Paper on Immigration is here:

http://www.foreign.gov.bb/Userfiles/...20POLICIES.pdf

check out sections 22-27 on pages 48-49 for the proposals which specify the intention to allow those seeking citizenship to work whilst the application is in.

Of course this can all change, as they are only recommendations, and who knows if/when this legislation will come into effect.

I also wish you luck.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

trees1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I have recently gone through the citizenship process and after applying and having an interview in London had to wait almost two years for my citizenship to be granted. I am very relieved to now have it! My husband and I (he is a Bajan citizen by descent) are hoping to move to Barbados next year and really hope we can both get employment and somewhere not too expensive to live (preferably in the St Peter area). Sorry to say it but from reading some of these threads things aren't looking too rosy at the moment as far as jobs go owing to the rescession and the fact that Barbados is quite a small island but, we are trying to stay positive and hope something comes up as we really want to make a go of it over there if at all possible.

Best of luck to yourself with everything!

Theresa.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by trees1
Sorry to say it but from reading some of these threads things aren't looking too rosy at the moment as far as jobs go owing to the rescession
True - the recession is hitting everywhere

Originally Posted by trees1
we are trying to stay positive and hope something comes up as we really want to make a go of it over there if at all possible
Keep your positive attitude! It will help you in many ways.

Good luck to you!
Foxy
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

I think it's true to say that the global recession has impacted on Barbados, with development slowing down and the official unemployment figures going up, but outside of tourism/construction, I'm not sure how other industries have been affected. There have been some well-documented problems particular to Barbados that may or may not be connected to the recession, but other areas are still thriving.

There will always be skilled jobs for the right people in my opinion, so I'd just say to do as much as you can to develop your own skill set, stay positive and think outside of the box in terms of what you want to do when you come here. The process isn't simple so a positive attitude will be a necessity lol!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

OK.... So, I read through the Green Paper on the new immigration policy. It all seems to make perfect sense..... Now, does anyone know when the White Paper will be published or when this policy is likely to become law?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

I think I'm right to say no specific time frame has been disclosed.
However, it wouldn't surprise me if immigration staff start interpreting the current laws in line with recommended changes sooner rather than later, to make the transition simpler in the long-term.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree with you, Ikon, and I wonder if it will lead to some inconsistencies in "enforcement" due to differing interpretations of the upcoming new policy.

Even at the airport coming in when I was a visitor, I'd often get different rules depending on who I saw.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I married by Bajan boyfriend 4 weeks ago, and applyed for citizenship about 2 weeks ago. I was told by immigration that they will not even look at my application for citizenship until we have been married for 2 years, and after this it can take 1-3 years to process. In regards to working, I was told - 'find a job and we will sort you out with papers'. By this they mean that I can apply for jobs and if I am offered a job, I can apply for a work permit at a cost of $200.00. But, as I know from experience, it is down to who you talk to at immigration as to what answer you get.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:07 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

again, it seems, they are quoting from the green paper.. or the proposed changes to the immigration law. these proposed changes have not taken effect as yet, and you should be able to apply with no wait time as to when they will review your information. There currently is no 2 year waiting period, they should be able to start your process now. However.. it all depends on sho you talk to.. Seems to me the immigration departing is doing things that are not right with the laws currently on the books.. but only on proposed changes...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have now been married for 2 years to Barbadian and immigration are telling me I have another year before they will look at my situation!!!!!
It is very frustrating
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, that seems ridiculous @ Tizzy01. The way the law stands, I thought they should look at you straightaway, and even with the changes the longest should be 2 years. 3 years is an awfully long length of time to be in limboland :-/
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Tizzy, how much longer after they finally get to "looking" at your situation? Does that mean it could be longer than three years? Wow, that's quite the limbo, as Ikon says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.