British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Reside & work through citizenship by marriage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/reside-work-through-citizenship-marriage-915680/)

Daffney Aug 5th 2018 12:47 pm

Reside & work through citizenship by marriage

Hello everyone. I have been going through the threads here for a few months, however, I have not seen any recent ones pertaining to my situation. I was wondering if anyone has recently applied for citizenship through marriage and received a reside and work. Can you tell me how long it takes to receive the right to reside and work after applying for Barbadian citizenship through marriage at the immigration department? I see that in the past it took around 6 months would this have changed now? Also, how is the job market and economy now? How are people feeling about life in Barbados?

Serendipidy Aug 8th 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Reside & work through citizenship by marriage

Hi Daffney I haven't seen posts on this for a while now although it used to be a hot topic - I am sure someone will get back to you soon - especially as the change in government will hopefully see a return of the welcome of the £ investment in Bim

Daffney Aug 8th 2018 8:50 pm

Hi Serendipity,

I was wondering how the process would be now with the change in government. How are things in Barbados? With the new government and with the PM's mini budget, how are people feeling? How is the job market? I see people are still partying and celebrating Crop Over lol regardless.

Sunniebgi Aug 9th 2018 2:05 am

HI Daffney. I did this 26 years ago.. it only took 3 months.(that was to get citizenship..).. if that. so.. it's a totally different story now. I'd still say it's probably 6mths to get the reside and work (although I do know someone that took what seemed to be much longer... but it was finally obtained sometime last year.

What type of employment are you looking for. that will really depend on the answer to your question. The island has a different feeling since the new PM, but we are also headed into some serious taxes among other things to get the island moving again. and yes.. people are still partying and celebrating Crop Over. it's what we do.. what the sad part will be. .some of those same people will start complaining next week about the cost of school uniforms for their children and supplies and book bags etc. so.. that's how life is here..

good luck with everything. keep us posted.

Daffney Aug 9th 2018 11:17 pm

Hi Sunniebgi,
I can't believe it only took 3 months when you applied. That's quick. I hope the reside and work doesn't take longer than 6 months.
I know people spend money on entertainment and complain about the price of necessities...very sad.
As for work, I am looking at accounting jobs but also any jobs for french speakers.

Sunniebgi Aug 10th 2018 2:11 am

well that was almost 26years ago.. and life was a bit easier then.. I didn't work at that point..in fact. I didn't actually live here until I got the citizenship and was able to transfer here with my job.. thankfully. . you do what you have to . They are obviously , post 9/11, much more strict with everything, when it comes to immigration. .all over the world..

Daffney Aug 10th 2018 8:05 am

Yea off course things would have changed worldwide. I just never knew that citizenship through marriage was almost instant for Barbados in the past. It really did work out well for you. It should be interesting under the new government to see if anything changes re: reside and work and citizenship.

Sunniebgi Aug 10th 2018 11:40 am

The laws in Barbados allow for Citizenship by marriage full stop.. and. until a few years ago.. it was only a foreign female, married to a Barbadian male, who could get Citizenship.. A man married to a Barbadian women could only get residency (my husbands cousins husband has been here longer than me and only got his citizenship when they changed that law).. I guess when you are a small island, you "should" be able to access whether the marriage is valid much more easily than in the US or Canada etc.. Unfortunately, you will also find , like in other countries, the case of fraud.. someone marries a Barbadian, applies for citizenship, gets it, and gets divorced just to be able to live here.. (happens in reverse as well... from here to other countries).. and now the immigration department is just taking their own sweet time (trust me.. it doesn't take that long to investigate all that needs to be done) and trying to make sure this doesn't happen. of course, unfortunately, there cases where it simply doesn't work out. I do know someone who patiently wanted, with a job in the wings, to get the reside and work.. got it.. was here for maybe 2 years.. and it just didn't work out.. they are now divorced and she is back in her home country..

we had to wait 2 years after getting married for my husband to apply for a green card. You can apply right away, but the card is only valid for 2 years and then you have to apply again (same costs etc.. all over again).. he actually gave up his card at the 10th year, because at that point we were not moving to the US and didn't really needed it with a B1/B2 visitors visa. Funny enough , we have looked into moving to the US in the next few years (maybe) .. and I have no idea what will happen if we do, regarding getting in their legally and how long that will take..

Daffney Aug 10th 2018 12:06 pm

I'm glad they changed the law so either sex can get citizenship through marriage it's discriminatory. I know how they can take their cool time.
Yea I understand that things don't always work out in a marriage and moving to another country can make it more challenging. I don't know about USA but hopefully if you do move there it won't be too much trouble giving the length of time of your marriage.
I did read about the taxes and now about the Minis ter arrestedin USA for money laundering and bribery. I'm waiting to see if any other ex politician will be named in connection with the same charges.