Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:17 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Congrats Lindi - i remember the feeling when my work permit was granted after 8 months - was like getting ya driving licence !!
Old Jun 11th 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Guapa is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Lyndi.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lyndi1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, goes to show there is a light at the end of the loooooooooong tunnel!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

songbird835 is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats am really happy for u, i am sadly still in the waiting period...the latest they now say is that you have to be married 5 years until it can be finalised....the goal posts just keep moving!!!,,..lol but sincere congrats u must be sooo happy!!!!!
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lyndi1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both.

I know about that goal post!! I was told 1 year and 6 months for my daughter. Once it's finalized, it's a great feeling though. Well worth the wait
Old Aug 5th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

I am super happy that I am a step closer to gaining citizenship . Got a phone call saying my reside and work has been approved . Now just to fork our some money and then wait for citizenship.

Quick question does anyone know how it works if you and your husband decide to leave to live in England for a bit?

Do i need to be here in Barbados to wait for citizenship?

Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats T, so happy for you!! I dont think you will need to be in Barbados to wait for your citizenship, but prob only have a short space of time to pay for it once it is approved. xx
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

vsaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, I have also gotten a reside and work permit last year may. I was never called for an interview? Does everyone get an interview before citizenship is granted? What type of questions do they ask at the interview? thanks all!
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

hotsun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Hi, everyone - i'm a newbe to this - but have been reading everyones experiences for months so thought I'd share my experiences with you in regards to immigration and reside and work.

I got married to my Bajan husband in Jan 2011 then applied for citizenship in Feb 2011, was told i could work when i hand in my application by the immigration officer in Feb. Then when I went back handed in my forms a week later - was called in to see a lady - she told me a completely different story. Said no you can't work until you have your reside and work and this takes a year.

Yes it seems to me that when you apply for citizen my marriage you automatically get put in the que for a reside and work visa. So you don't need to actually apply for this.

We then bumped into the first immigration officer we saw - he said no you can work, so very confused. I waited - called immigration, and then applied for a 6 month visa extension. Each time I asked when i was in immigration they said i should definitely have it by Christmas, as this was when my 6 month visa was to run out.

I called today and they have it waiting for me!! Approved, so I have to go in and pay $1000 BBD and i get a letter saying i have it basically - so I can look for work.

But there is another stage to reside and work after you get your letter and pay - say a month later the immigration officer said - then i get a certificate - which i need to take to get a tax number, national insurance and id card, at this time i also take in my passport and they put a visa in saying i have reside and work. The officer said there will be no further fees for this stage.

I never received a letter from immigration, and don't think i will for the certificate, I really think giving them a call is best. Much better than waiting those long ques.

He said in a year i have to go in for my citizen interview then pay $1500 BBD. Great I thought, things are really moving along here.

Also I'd like to add my girlfriend - also married to a bajan applied roughly the same time as me and she had hers come through about 2 weeks ago. She had been going to see her local government official and he chased it up. Turns out hers had been sitting waiting for her too. We both have no idea for how long.

Also please note - when you go in and pick up your reside and work letter, you only have 28 days to pay, otherwise you have to apply all over again. My girlfriend was so excited she almost forgot to pay.

I have direct phone numbers for immigration and names to ask for that work. Not sure if i can post them on here?

Hope this helps - i do really know what it's like here it can be soooo stressful, but it seems to me that the system is working. I guess calling them after say 4 months once a month might be a good idea.

Good luck everyone!!!

Wooo hooooo I'm off to get my reside and work magic piece of paper.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

laudrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I went into Immigration a few days ago after many repeated futile calls. I had a long two hour wait before I see the officer incharge of citizenship and after tight scrutiny of my file the citizenship was approved. I now have to pay B$1,500.00 or US$750.00 to pay for the same.
What's the next step after payment?
Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Destiny4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Hi everyone. I'm new to this so please bear with me! My husband and i are hoping to move permanently to Barbados. My husband has dual nationality - Barbadian by descent/British. I gather that I will eventually be entitled to citizenship, but can I live and work there whilst waiting? Do I have to apply for a visa every six months? Is it easier to apply for a visa as his dependant? Will that give me the right to work and how long might it take? Or perhaps as a worker?
It seems there are people on here who have so much experience of these things and I would welcome your help!
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:03 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Destiny.. I personally cant assist you with your questions but hopefully someone will be along soon to assist once they get over the copious amounts of rum thrust at everyone at this time of year lol
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Destiny4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi serendipity. Thanks for your reply. What a great forum, there's so much information on here. I don't know whether you have seen my other posts, but I'm currently in the uk working as an immigration lawyer ie helping people come to or stay in uk. From what I have read on here, there are massive problems for people trying to stay in Barbados. I gather the two sets of laws are similar, but it seems to be very hit and miss in Barbados. Of course this makes me think is there an opportunity for me to study the law on immigration in Barbados and try to help people. The question is, I don't know how to find out if I could just set up a business of this type in Barbados. I have tried to find out by trying to email the law department at the university, but all the email addresses online don't seem to work. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:57 am

Hmmm borderline on positive and negative feedback I can give you.. Law and Finance are keystones of Barbados business so there are plenty of lawyers.. to be effective in helping the Brits would mean you taking on the wrath of the immigration department who to me seem to be a law onto themselves with little or no accountability to anyone.. its not like in UK where there is always someone else to complain to and your behaviour is scrutinised.. as for lawyers in Babados any Bajan will tell you to be careful who you select because there are many cases of lawyers conning their own clients!! If I remember rightly my own lawyer gave advice on here once and said that you are required to pass a certain certificate in Barbados to practice Law there

On the positive side we are always being asked on this forum for recommendations for an immigration lawyer and if there was one with an affinity of the UK and Barbados law then that would stand you out as a preference. However fighting on behalf of visitors to immigration in Barbados is in itself a total and utter thankless task..every response you would get would be different dependent on who you spoke to . As for starting a business that is not difficult in Barbados but working for it is another issue altogether.. just for info Barbados although infrastructurally IT advanced do not yet commercially use Email on the scale that we do here in the UK.. so never the preferred option of communication.

I know im stating the obvious but it is what it is.. if you want your questions answered the only way ya gonna really get your answers is to visit and do the asking in person

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.