Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone who has applied for citizenship by marriage has reside and work?

I dont fully understand how it works or how to obtain it or if it automatically applies and immigration answer differently everytime!

Please help if you can.

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reside and Work - Apply for citizenship by marriage

Hi Yes I have it.

I applied for citizenship by marriage when I moved here in 2008, after 6 months I kept calling them but always got it's being processed and they will contact me so I gave up on calling.

Then end of January this year (2010) I got a letter stating they are granting me work and reside status whilst I'm waiting for citizenship to be processed at a fee of course...I had to go to immigration within 28 days of the letter and pay them $800 for the privilage! This is in addition to the $800 I will have to pay to complete my citizenship whenever that will be.

I didn't ask them for this so I think it's being done automatically so the backlog of citizen applicants can remain here legally whilst awaiting to be processed.

Work and reside is for 3 years by which they told me citizenship should be complete. It enables you to legally work and get an ID card and NIS number (both were a very simple and quick process).

Hope this helps a little, although procedures do change depending on who you speak to etc......give them a call to ask if your letter is on it's way.

Tizzy
[/I]
Old Sep 18th 2010, 12:31 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

great Tizzy.. good to know this info..and documented
Old Sep 19th 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally got mine, after waiting for 6 months!! It means that I can live and work here for 3 years and dont need to worry about getting an extension every 6 months

I had applied for this, but it looks like they are giving them out to people who have applied for citizenship who have not applied which is good. I was not aware of the charge though until I receive the letter from them. As mentioned, this $800.00 is in addition to the $200.00 I paid to apply for citizenship plus the $800.00 I will need to pay once it comes through.

On another note, and a bit late really for me to ask as I have already applied but............. If I get Barbados citizenship, does that mean I need to give up my UK passport?????
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

tng1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, both responses help a lot. Its good to know immigration are working on it
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikki85

On another note, and a bit late really for me to ask as I have already applied but............. If I get Barbados citizenship, does that mean I need to give up my UK passport?????
No, you keep your UK passport, and you don't need to get a Barbados passport either. Just use your ID to get back in the country - although my husband has been told to bring a photocopy of his citizenship doc too when he travels, I never have.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeeee Haaaaa!!!!!..... Got my approval for reside and work in the post today. Oh happy day!!...... I applied for citizenship by marriage in January, so it took about 10 months to get this approval. Just need to go pay the 800 dollar fee now..... I'm delighted!...... I don't really care how long citizenship takes to come through now.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:20 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

to bad there isn't a "Like" button on this site.. hehehe.. Congrats...
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

flower26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have just joined this site. I have a barbadian id card and passport (currently expired) via marriage but have never used them to work. I plan on relocating to Barbados to live from the UK. Can I walk straight into a job or do I have to apply for any extras. How do I obtain an NIS number etc or is this taken care of when I start working?

Also where are you guys finding these jobs? I spent endless hours looking on the internet looking for jobs in Barbados but the websites are normally through an agency or jobs posted are out of date - am I looking in the right place? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited by flower26; Dec 7th 2010 at 2:38 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:12 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Flower

You will have to renew your passport at Immigration and then you can get your new ID card and apply for NI no. You could try renewing your Bajan passport here by calling the Barbados High Commission in Tottenham Court Road London and ask if you can get it done here.

Re jobs - check out the Nation Newspaper most jobs are advertised there
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:58 pm

I agree with Dipity.. try to get the PP renewed in England before heading this way.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunnie and Dipidy, that's great. Will get on to the Bim High Commission. Also has anyone sold their property to live in Bim. I have a property here and rent it out although it just covers itself. It would be nice not to have to worry about mortgage payments when I get to Bim as well as upheaving myself to go back to the UK if something happens with the property - especially with children being settled in school it will not be so easy to just up and go. Having said that I have had people tell me that it would be better to use my rental property here as extra income when I get to Bim? (err one day). I have also been told that I shouldn't sell in case something happens in Bim:0( Has anyone sold up completely to live in paradise. It would be interesting and helpful to me in making a decision.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:13 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to always keep your options open in both countries until you really can call Bim home especially with the fact that you have kids
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Dipidy,

Thanks for the advice. Will think long and hard about it.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flower26
Hi Dipidy,

Thanks for the advice. Will think long and hard about it.
Hello Flower,
I am moving over next year and am looking at all the angles. I am travelling alone but eventually the rest of the family will be following on. I'm keeping on my house in the UK and will probably keep it once the mortgage is paid. I managed to get a good agency to look after it and the insurances i have in place will cover all the emergencies that may occour. I just had to arrange that my Letting Agency could make decisions in my place. All the worry is therefore taken away. Hope this helps with your decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.