Reputable letting agents

Old Oct 26th 2021, 4:01 am
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reputable letting agents

Please do not sign any tenancy agreement until you are in Barbados and have taken the time to explore the island, least of which to give you time to orientate yourself to island life and figure out which side of the island you prefer.

Also, don't put all your eggs in one basket: it is a very bad idea to just move all your furniture and belongings to a country, without at least spending a year in that country first, to make sure you're making the right decision. There are many furnished properties available for long-term rental here in Barbados.

Don't just select the first property you see, even if you like it. Look at multiple properties, even with different realty agents. Another realty agent to consider is Terra Caribbean.

There are important things worth thinking about when considering a property in Barbados, such as whether the property has mosquito screens in the windows; verandas or seating areas outside; air conditioning; solar heater for hot water, etc.

Obviously what's necessary and nice-to-have depends on your preferences, but some things should be considered absolutely necessary – like mosquito screens, because those irritating bloodsuckers are a big problem in Barbados.

A small number of these mosquitos can cause a very serious illness called dengue, so this is why we have to be very careful and exercise precautions especially during peak mosquito hours (e.g. wearing effective repellents and/or long trousers with socks that mosquitos can't get through).

Make sure you do adequate research to make sure you are getting the best deal. In other words, demand only local prices.

Remember, there is no deposit protection scheme in Barbados like there is in the U.K. Your deposit will be held by the landlord directly.

You might be wondering if something similar to council tax exists in Barbados: the answer is no.

Last edited by bs_wave; Oct 26th 2021 at 4:37 am.
Old Oct 26th 2021, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Something similar to council tax does exist in the form of Land Tax. Its not recovered by a local authority so thats the main difference.. but it is a tax based on property values...which is the essence of council tax.

In my experience most people don't have screens... although I would recommend them, just to reduce the irritation factor from the damn mosquitos. Dengue isn't a huge problem in Barbados but it does exist.

Local prices vs tourist prices is an issue in many aspects here.. so do take your time to make those decisions.

Old Oct 26th 2021, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Stuart_R is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate the input and advice.

This first trip is about narrowing down the list of possible places to base myself. I then plan to make a further visit to spend a couple of weeks getting to know that area better, probably in February. Once I have all my ducks in a row in the UK and I'm ready to apply for the Welcome Stamp, I'll come out for a month with the intention of concentrating on finding somewhere to rent from within Barbados. Once I have somewhere identified I'll apply for the visa. Once that is approved (I understand the turnaround is currently 2-5 days), I'll pay the deposit, arrange a move in date, then go back to England to return and initiate the visa/tenancy. At least, that's the outline of the plan so far.

Please keep the advice and knowledge flowing - it is all really helpful. Thank you!
Old Oct 28th 2021, 11:43 pm
Good day

bs_wave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by satellite_ian View Post
Something similar to council tax does exist in the form of Land Tax. Its not recovered by a local authority so thats the main difference.. but it is a tax based on property values...which is the essence of council tax.
If you come across someone that asks about letting agents, that means they are interested in renting a property. In Barbados, tenants are never responsible for Land Tax because it falls on the landlord, so there is nothing similar that Stuart needs to be concerned with.

With respect to U.K. Council Tax, responsibility falls on the current occupier of a given property. In the case of a tenancy, it would fall on the tenant, not the landlord.

Originally Posted by Stuart_R View Post
Once I have somewhere identified I'll apply for the visa. Once that is approved (I understand the turnaround is currently 2-5 days), I'll pay the deposit, arrange a move in date, then go back to England to return and initiate the visa/tenancy. At least, that's the outline of the plan so far.
You are going about this in an unnecessarily convoluted way. You can apply for, and transition onto, the Welcome Stamp visa while you are in Barbados. Foreign nationals do not need to be outside Barbados when they apply.

For example, if you have a three month visitor visa, you are allowed to apply for the visa with the start date of your visa to commence from the date on which your visitor visa expires.

As a British national, you can stay in Barbados on a visitor visa for up to six months in any one year period, but visitors are usually granted only three months on entry.

If you want to stay for another three months as a visitor, you would need to apply for an Extension of Stay (BDS $100), which requires an appointment at the Immigration Department in Bridgetown (dress code applies).

It is advisable that you use the time on your visitor visa to explore the island and decide where you want to live (indeed, if you even want to live in Barbados – it's not for everyone). You may wish to stay in an Airbnb during this time so that you do not have long-term commitments.

You should time your entry into Barbados carefully, because if you arrive during the tourism season (between December and April) you are likely to pay higher prices for short-term property and car rentals.

If you decide that you like Barbados and want to stay for a year, that's when you should consider applying for the Welcome Stamp visa. Don't sign a long-term tenancy agreement unless your Welcome Stamp visa application is approved.

By all means, if it would make you more comfortable to visit the island several times before finalising any move, you can do that, but it just seems a bit over the top. You can use a single visit, staying in Barbados for at least several months, to decide if you want to live in Barbados.

I may have said before, but just for your information, the Welcome Stamp is also renewable for a further 12 months. If you really like Barbados and want to stay for another 12 months after your first visa expires, you'll be able to apply for a renewal.

Just remember to keep your expectations sensible. Barbados is indeed a very warm and idyllic country, but the island has its own problems and challenges just like every other country.

Last edited by bs_wave; Oct 29th 2021 at 12:13 am.