Republic

Old Sep 16th 2020, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Republic

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-16/...8gJT_MHsY9vsZM

Where next ?
Old Sep 16th 2020, 2:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Republic

I wouldn’t be too hasty in thinking this is a done deal. The previous government said exactly the same thing five years ago to no avail.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nial-president

The current government doesn’t have the numbers in the Senate to pass the constitutional change required to make it happen.

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 16th 2020 at 2:31 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

Does it matter. It's understandable that in the 21st century a country trying to look outward might well want a head of state that is from that country. If we assume there is a referendum (I don't know if this was in the manifesto at the last election) and the referendum says become a republic, should there be a second referendum to decide what sort of presidency there ought to be... a very ceremonial one like the Republic of Ireland or a much more political position such as the President of the US
?
Old Sep 18th 2020, 1:28 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty clueless as to what this all means (I do understand politics and political parties etc and know it means breaking ties with England).. , except to listen to my bajan husband. there will still be a Prime Minister and basically the "president" will take over the position of Governor General and not in the sense of "president of the US". the PM still has that role.

this is more breaking the ties (which is a scary thought if we get knock down serious by a hurricane or other problem. and in listening and reading snipits since the thrown speech, more understanding that Guyana and Trinidad faced serious economic situations once their status as a republic happened. hum..
Old Sep 18th 2020, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Sanctions against Guyana and Trinidad for becoming republics ? I think you are mistaken.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:36 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say sanctions. I have been lead to understand that since becoming republics there have been some economic situations that have occurred.. Not SANCTIONS...

thanks.and I will stop now.. have a good day.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, I misread what you wrote. Not sure about those economic "situations" of which you write.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

In my observation, it's always a mistake to shrug off the UK connection for purely nationalistic reasons. Bahamas is the classic example. (We lived there 1967-70.) Vanuatu is another (1972-75). Cayman (1978-date) is too smart to do it - at least so far. And so is Gibraltar!
Old Sep 24th 2020, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Scotland those struggling for Independence are divided between those who would keep The House of Mountbatten-Windsor and those who would go for a republic. There are also those who would have us decide on which of the Jacobite pretenders we should install as monarch.

Official line from SNP HQ is QE2, her heirs and successors as titular heads of state
Old Sep 24th 2020, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

"struggling for independence"... don't make me laugh.. you had a vote... a "once in a generation" opportunity according to your then leadership... and you lost.. .purely because the SNP have no real plan for the future... their economic plan is a mess... and in pretty much every vote... the electorate vote with their pocket...

Barbados is already independent... the government have simply decided its time to look at the head of state situation..... the two situations are hardly the same.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where did it say "Once in a generation" ? That was not in the text of the Edinburgh agreement. In 2014 we were still in the EU and one of the Tory/Labour selling points was "If you leave the UK, you will not be in the EU" In the EU referendum England voted to leave. We voted to stay,

There has been "a material change in circumstances". We will be leaving and, I hope joining EFTA. Look at the opinion polls and do not listen to propaganda from Broadcasting House.

https://theferret.scot/sturgeon-2014...um-generation/

Last edited by scot47; Sep 24th 2020 at 8:36 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I invite you all to join me in the words of this song from the 1950s - Scottish Breakaway (Coronation Coronach)
Old Sep 24th 2020, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

"once in a generation" wasn't in the Edinburgh agreement, correct. But it was a phrase used by your then leader... you remember him or has Nicola Sturgeon purged all references to Alex Salmon after subsequent events?

There has been a material change... it was voted for the whole of the UK... of which Scotland voted to remain part of... thats how these things work. Trust me I don't listen to Broadcasting House for my news.. even though BBC Scotland has been putting on an almost daily party political broadcast by NS for months now.

I'm an Englishman but I am no Unionist.. .the sooner England is free of you Celts the better for everyone..
Old Sep 24th 2020, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So why is London grimly hanging on to us ?

I remember that campaign in 2014 - "We love you, please do not leave us !"
Old Sep 24th 2020, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

London.... lol.. .don't confuse that with the majority of Englishmen... there's not many that want to hang on to you miserable whinging Celts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.