British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Relocation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/relocation-936723/)

Amewill Jan 21st 2021 8:23 pm

Relocation

Hello!

I have seen a few posts with some similar discussions so sorry for any repetition. We have visited Barbados and have made some incredible memories on the island.

We, like many others, are looking to take advantage of the one year welcome stamp initiative, and from there maybe make a more permanent move. We have 2 children currently in a private school setting in the UK and are hoping to find a school in Barbados for them. They are in a British school system at the moment and I wondered if there was anyone on here who had experience with the transition from a British school to an “International” school in Barbados. This is very new to me!

We are planning a visit early this year before our welcome stamp will start to visit some schools and long term rentals, but I would love to hear if anyone had any recommendations on particular schools or experience of their children transitioning. Our children our in year 4 and reception here in the UK (9 and 5 years old)

Would be very greatful for any info!

Thank you.

uk_grenada Jan 21st 2021 9:28 pm

Re: Relocation

The 1 year tourist stamp DOES NOT lead to any sort of ability to live or work long term as I understand it, but maybe someone will be along to expand on this.

If you wish to immigrate you will need to have other existing links or have a lot of money.

Amewill Jan 21st 2021 9:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I understand the extension if we decide to do that will not be through the welcome stamp. We don’t currently need any information on this, but thank you :)

Do you have any info on the schooling system? I would be really interested in any guidance.

Thanks!

satellite_ian Jan 22nd 2021 4:09 pm

The PM has expressed an interest in seeing if the Immigration Act can be amended in any way to allow those currently on the Welcome Stamp a pathway to residency or citizenship. So yes, you are currently correct but the situation may change ...

uk_grenada Jan 22nd 2021 4:14 pm

In some places, if you legally reside on island for a few years, you can acquire residency, not citizenship, so you never have the right to work or ge tax benefits, but it suits retirees and the more affluent.

However this requires renewal of visas for a fee and immigration need to prove you are being good and have the finances to do it.

satellite_ian Jan 22nd 2021 4:15 pm

Indeed.. this is why Mia is looking to see if the act can be AMENDED in some way.....

uk_grenada Jan 22nd 2021 4:18 pm

I sort of doubt it, too much vested interest in not allowing plebs in, and those sufficiently blessed already have routes in. CBI more likely?

satellite_ian Jan 22nd 2021 4:22 pm

Given. those on the Welcome Stamp have already proved they earn a level of income.. not sure why you want to call them plebs.. but so be it... I'm sure any changes to the Immigration Act for them would require some degree of continuance along the same lines economically.... so no reason why not...

uk_grenada Jan 22nd 2021 4:29 pm

It depends where you set the level, and what you expect to happen. The place has had a hostile view on non millionaire incomers for a while and im pretty sure the electorate hold that view, given the incomers ability [perceived?] to cost locals their jobs. Its also not exactly underpopulated.

Also - watch barbados then tax them - after all you are domiciled then... 'im working here for a uk/us company' holds no water legally, you will owe them income tax or prove double taxation protection which means the 2 countries then share your info.

So im guessing any such slackening for barbados would have some stringent requirements to pay, have health insurance, known incomes etc , after all places less hostile charge 250k on average to come in.

satellite_ian Jan 22nd 2021 4:35 pm

I'm guessing you don't understand the Welcome Stamp.. people on that cannot take a local's job.. of course if that person became a resident that would change.. but given the employment those people are generally in it would be unlikely they would be taking local's jobs. Those people already have to state incomes and have health insurance.

As for hostility to non-millionaire incomers... thats not something I've ever experienced and I am certainly not a millionaire... and the electorate are generally much less tolerant of millionaires anyway, as they seem to feel rules don't apply to them (plenty of evidence of that recently in Covid related situations).

uk_grenada Jan 22nd 2021 4:42 pm

This isnt about that. Residency has no right to work in the local economy, thats citizenship, but residents are after a bit domiciled so in barbados owe local tax on income globally [unlike tax havens that dont tax foreign income] so these people wont benefit financially , and some will actually pay more tax etc. But does the electorate want them having a right to live there? Anyway i wont rain on their parade, not my problem, im just saying what ive seen locals saying for decades, and i doubt the concept..

satellite_ian Jan 22nd 2021 5:15 pm

Well I guess your experiences are vastly different to mine over the last decade of living here.....

As to the concept... I keep pointing out that the PM is looking to see if the act CAN be amended....

Sunniebgi Jan 24th 2021 1:09 pm

Amewell. visiting for a few months, as said by above, is one thing (can't work locally and technically on a visitors visa, you can't work. .even remotely. but.. I'll not say anymore about that)..

. You CAN apply for the Welcome Stamp Visa (1 year remote work) from here, but of course, the requested requirements are needed.. minimum income , remote work only, no locally work/money earned and fee based on single or family (which you are) ..

as for after that year, well. 2 things. as said. being on the Welcome Stamp doesn't technically lead to any type of residency consideration. There is legislation already in place, as it refers to paths to residency and also citizenship..(which is much harder to come by at present.. we don't have a Citizenship for purchase program in Barbados as several other Caribbean destinations do.)

HOWEVER. The govt IS looking into expanding the ability to apply for residency in various instances, making it more available .. as well as expanding Citizenship with less restrictive measure (example. Right now a son or daughter born in another country of Barbadian parents , can obtain citizenship by decent, but their children (grandchildren of the Bajan born Grandparents) unless born in Barbados, cannot. . This is part of the change that would allow future generations , beyond the 1st level, to gain citizenship regardless of where they were born.
HOWEVER.. again. sometimes these things take time.. (but it might be sooner than we think.. )..

having not read the ins and outs of the residency situation for the new legislation. .I can't, unfortunately comment on that..

however. as I would tell anyone. you can't just move here and expect to live and work just like that living might be one thing, but working as a non Barbadian or a Caricom citizen with the rights to work here, doesn't happen without a work permit. starting a business and working that business are also 2 totally separate things as well (just because you start it, as a non-Barbadian, it doesn't give you the right to work in it.) and a work permit requires that the company requesting the work permit can prove that there is no Barbadian can do the job advertised..

Ok.. enough to scare anyone off,.. just being thorough. .. my schools response is on the other thread..

Amewill Jan 24th 2021 1:55 pm

Thank you for all the replies on here. I understand the welcome stamp is a topic with lots of interest at the moment, so very greatful for the info. We are under no illusions about it being extended/ not extended but rest assured we are well equipped with all the info we need to stay longer if we plan to.

We have been planning to make this move for rather a long period of time, and I suppose the welcome stamp just came at the right time for us to take advantage of it!

Sunniebgi Jan 24th 2021 2:57 pm

I don't think the Welcome Stamp is going to go away anytime soon. (neither is Covid, unfortunately) As long as it's working and a way for people to live here, support the local economy but work remotely, it's a win win situation for everyone. (but again.. WORK REMOTELY).. it's an unfortunate habit of some, who believe they can come and just live and work here with out doing anything else.. and I'm not directly that at you, specifically as it's many people and if you read any of my posts on the topic, I say the same thing.

I'm an American, married to a Barbadian.. 28 1/2 years.. obtained citizenship and had the ability to transfer my job (Reservations agent and computer support for travel agents with American Airlines in the US /retrained , not much to it, to Passengers Service to work at the Airport with AA here in Barbados. ).

but I have seen all sorts of ways to get here, stay here, work under the table here etc. The remote work helps us as an island without taking away jobs for Barbadians.