British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Relocating from Trinidad to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/relocating-trinidad-barbados-856618/)

sio_booby Apr 17th 2015 5:30 pm

Relocating from Trinidad to Barbados

My situation I don't know if it is unique but we will now be relocating to Barbados after many years residing in Trinidad. My questions are simple.

Cost for vehicles?
I noticed on a recent trip to Barbados to finalise paperwork for the move that the majority of vehicles on the road were much older. Is this a reflection on the cost of the vehicles locally? A cost on importing the vehicle impacted by many taxes and duties?

Would it be easier to buy a vehicle in Barbados? Bring over our vehicle from Trinidad?? Or to buy one abroad and import it as it is the norm here in Trinidad to purchase cheaper used vehicles from Japan?

Caricom Nationals??
What would be needed for spouse that is a Caricom National to relocate to Barbados?
Are Caricom Nationals given special allowances when relocating with importing their vehicles or personal effects?

Any info will be helpful

Serendipidy Apr 18th 2015 12:43 pm

Re: Relocating from Trinidad to Barbados

Hi Sio and welcome...You may not get much response re your question because this is the British Ex Pats site predominantly for those from UK who are considering or have settled in Barbados and as a result not many members will know much about inter island resettling or Caricom National allowances

sio_booby Apr 18th 2015 12:56 pm

From the UK but resided in Trinidad for years. Now moving to Barbados next.

Sunniebgi Apr 18th 2015 11:42 pm

Regarding the cost of cars, you likely see older once because new cars are just to expensive to purchase for some people. there are cars that are brought in reconditioned from Japan but they cannot be more than 3 years old (I purchased one in 2004 (it was a late 2001 model and still have it.. )

you would have to do the research in to cost to transport a vehicle from Trinidad to see if it was worth it as apposed to the cost of buying anew or used car here.

As far as your Caricom Spouse, you may want to check with the Barbados Immigration office regarding this. Caricom Nationals are allowed to move to Barbados (free movement etc) but there is also a restriction as to work, based on degree etc.. just because they are from Trinidad, doesn't mean they can work in Barbados.

and just to say.. I assume you would be working in Barbados, as a UK Citizen, you would be required to have a work permit, which again assume you would. Your Caricom Citizen spouse would have more freedom of movement where that is concerned..

sio_booby Apr 18th 2015 11:55 pm

Great info thanks
I will look into it

Bentham Apr 22nd 2015 4:30 pm

As for vehicles, Caricom nationals do not get any concession on vehicle duties whether they import or buy it. Only if your employer has a signed agreement with the Ministry of Finance, you will get your car duty-free regardless your nationality.

Caricom nationals willing to apply for a job inn Barbados (or elsewhere in Caricom outside their country) have to obtain a special certificate. Do not remember the exact name, something like Caricom skilled professional certificate. This make the immigration process even longer than with non-Caricom nationals. So my Caricom colleagues say.

milesey Apr 24th 2015 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sio_booby (Post 11621947)
From the UK but resided in Trinidad for years. Now moving to Barbados next.

Hi I'm in a similar situation to you, as long from the UK originally but been living in Trinidad for over 10 years and moving to Barbados at the beginning of May for 2 years. I'm not sure from your post if you also have citizenhip of a Caribbean country in addition to you UK citizenship, if you do and are moving under a caricom skill certificate then I know that in Trinidad and Guyana your spouse is entitled to come with you and work under the skills certificate but I'm not sure if this extends to all caricom countries. You could contact the barbados accreditation council www.bac.gov.bb they should be able to advise you.

sio_booby Apr 24th 2015 6:02 pm

The work permits and stuff has already been taken care of my main query is about vehicles