Recycling

Old May 18th 2009, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

yashara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recycling

don't mean to be rude, i'm new to your forum, let me say as a black woman living in the US i guess some of you are now learning how it feels to have the shoe on the other foot. Some of the comments made barbadians sound like savages, (they don't know about reusable bags etc) that kind of thinking leads to lots of heartache and has for centuries, people look at interracial couples no matter where in the world they are it's not about growing a thick skin if you are happy and content what do you care what they think do you want to be friends, do you need their approval to get through the day, if you give anyone that much power over you or your relationship you will be the one to suffer, my advice to the ladies or gents who go to the supermakets or elsewhere and do things their way, imagine someone coming into your living room and rearranging your furniture, or telling you how to run your own home, do not go into peoples' land and try to run them, sorry if that seems too harsh don't mean to be, but as a born barbadian i found some of your comments extremely hurtful, as a sojourner in a strange land myself i think it's better to respect the natives
Old May 19th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Intercontinental relationships.

Originally Posted by yashara
don't mean to be rude, i'm new to your forum, let me say as a black woman living in the US i guess some of you are now learning how it feels to have the shoe on the other foot. Some of the comments made barbadians sound like savages, (they don't know about reusable bags etc) that kind of thinking leads to lots of heartache and has for centuries...my advice to the ladies or gents who go to the supermakets or elsewhere and do things their way, imagine someone coming into your living room and rearranging your furniture, or telling you how to run your own home, do not go into peoples' land and try to run them, sorry if that seems too harsh don't mean to be, but as a born barbadian i found some of your comments extremely hurtful, as a sojourner in a strange land myself i think it's better to respect the natives
I realize that you are new here but let me remind your that the wanton disregard for the environment and others regardless of race is a relatively new phenomenon in Barbados. Irregardless of my race, my husband, my son, and myself are Barbadian and we treat our country and it's environment with the respect that it deserves. If you are okay with having a dump the size of a small town then so be it, it is not okay with me.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:46 am
Just Joined

yashara is an unknown quantity at this point

i think you missed my point completely but no worries ,i'm not sure where you think i am new to, Barbados is the land of my birth it's home i have lived in the US for the last twenty years, i came here at a young age, i have never known my people to be negligent of their environment, the whole world is now learning about recycling and living green and such there are people here in new york who still haven't got a clue one way or the other and colour has nothing to do with it, please don't take offense at what i say i mean no disrespect to anyone here i just like a good debate on things that interest me, so to reiterate, i think my people are superior beings they're kind and thoughtful in many respects and like human beings everywhere they are prone to some faults, i also believe that when you move into to someone else's backyard you shouldn't try to run the front of the house, it seems much better to try to fit in with people's way of life and if that doesn't suit do your thing but i think barbados had enough of missionaries and savage tamers in their history, i say this to say that some of the comments made were suspect bordering on offensive wherever you came from i'm sure you have a love of country as you should well so do i i love my country and my countrymen do unto others as you would have done to you once more these things are said in good faith and not to cause harm
Old May 19th 2009, 12:42 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yashara

Welcome to the forum - I too enjoy a good healthy debate so thanks for your input - i dont have strong opinons either way on the subjects debated at present so will just observe.

I would however just comment that maybe it would be best for you to actually start a new thread as your points are interesting however the environmental subjects etc are not related to intercontinental relationships and therefore important comments might get lost

Looking forward to healthy verbal sparring with you at some point

Dips

Last edited by Serendipidy; May 19th 2009 at 12:48 pm.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going of the initial topic to the comment on recycling and conservation next time your in Barbados Yashara can I take you to any gulley in Barbados and show you the wanten dumping of fridges washing machines dead animals tyres. My neighbours would prefer to find a bin for a banana skin than a drink carton. If fines were inforced this would stop. I do not see colour I just see neglect and I"m only one person and am only about to keep my space clean. As for supermarkets I think I bring a smile to the shop assistants faces cos they know I don't want their bags!! and plus I am one of only a few white people that shops at Popular Supermarkets I go for their prices not their approval. My mum taught me to respect everyone and thats how I continue my life even though living in Barbados hasn't been easy after my trip to UK at christmas I"m in paradise.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunnie - my H2B wears his pants a size too big, and everyone gets a good view of his boxers. As much as it annoys me, I have seen some of his friends wear no underwear and so all you see is their boxie - yuck!!! lol
Old May 19th 2009, 10:50 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recycling

I moved the comments out of international relationships to make the thread easier to follow hence why some of the posts still have that title
Old May 20th 2009, 1:38 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yashara
i think you missed my point completely but no worries ,i'm not sure where you think i am new to, Barbados is the land of my birth it's home i have lived in the US for the last twenty years, i came here at a young age, i have never known my people to be negligent of their environment,

I have to also agree with what was said before. wrappers being thrown out car windows, old stoves and fridges etc, thrown into gully's and on the side of the road. Trash everywhere on the grass at Accra Beach after a "bank holiday picnic". Vacant lots with trash and overgrown bush all over them. These are all done by naturally born Bajans (I will not comment on white or black because I know both do it).

There was a BIG campaigne done a few years ago through the Government Information Service. two very well known actors talked about using trash cans and cleaning up the island, .. While we are not the trashest place on earth, I'm not sure many bajans got it then or get it now.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by butterflysue1
and plus I am one of only a few white people that shops at Popular Supermarkets I go for their prices not their approval.
Where are the Popular ones located I would prefer them or Jordans to Super Centre any day!

And sunnie, you are spot on in your assessment of the refuse problem: I would also add that when the highway between Warrens /Hothersall Turning/ Clyde Walcott Roundabouts was debushed a few months ago the amount of rubbish in the ravine at the sides of the road was staggering...it was loaded with styrofoam, bottles, etc. I also had a conversation with my husband who left here 20+ years ago and he too has commented on the unbelievable increase in level of imports and as well the amount of garbage, and the fact that it is often not disposed of accordingly. I guess it goes with the saying "Garbage in Garbage out..."

I was hard pressed to get him into recycling in the States but here-- he even started doing it at work!
Old May 20th 2009, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Popular Supermarket it in the gap up the side of St Michael's Cathedral which eventually leads to the Central Bank. They don't sell every single thing you could want but what you do buy is cheaper than anywhere else. They also have a meat section at the back you can you can get fish and chicken portions.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Changelo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I have to also agree with what was said before. wrappers being thrown out car windows, old stoves and fridges etc, thrown into gully's and on the side of the road. Trash everywhere on the grass at Accra Beach after a "bank holiday picnic". Vacant lots with trash and overgrown bush all over them. These are all done by naturally born Bajans (I will not comment on white or black because I know both do it).

There was a BIG campaigne done a few years ago through the Government Information Service. two very well known actors talked about using trash cans and cleaning up the island, .. While we are not the trashest place on earth, I'm not sure many bajans got it then or get it now.
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have relocated to Barbados from The UK. I regularly try to recycle as much as possible. Can anyone advise me if there is anywhere on the island that recycles old newspapers?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Sometimes Earthworks takes them - they wrap all the pottery in it, and actually they do a fair bit of shipping (I've seen tourists go in there and buy entire dinner sets and have it shipped home). You could try calling them at 425-3224.

I thought there was another place that recycled paper... Zanne, do you remember?

Oh, and I also just found out that the Hope Sanctuary is now taking recyclables (kind of as a fundraiser I guess). If you were going by them for whatever reason (Shines, no more dogs! LOL!) you could drop them off there, for a good cause.

Foxy
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

There used to be various places that took it to make chicken bedding...I just wrote this article about using it in the garden, but if you don't have a garden (plant or vegetable) the only other thing you can do is compost it! I wish that the Nation would take it back and re-purpose it, but as far as I can see that is not in the cards. I suspect that soon though B's will start taking it. I would take some though because I use loads of it...

P.S. If anyone does want to bundle up newspaper and send it over to me I would take it, I can only take so much though!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Oh, and I also just found out that the Hope Sanctuary is now taking recyclables (kind of as a fundraiser I guess). If you were going by them for whatever reason (Shines, no more dogs! LOL!) you could drop them off there, for a good cause.

Foxy
Oh, you know me so well...
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Ha ha!

Guess what? We've got 2 dogs in our new place! They are the landlord's, but it's like we have pets by association. I love having them around!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.