Recruitment

Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Icey is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Recruitment

Sorry to bring you in under a false sense of security.
I am coming over to Barbados (again) for three months. When i come over i intend to do some sound research but i thought i would just test the waters first.

I would like to open up an agency over there as while looking for job oppertunities i was unable to locate one place online where i could search for a multitude of jobs. As a result i think i have identified a definate gap in the market. In addition to this i also feel that a lot of companies lack basic etiquette and customer servicing skills.

I feel that I can offer a service in which job seekers both nationals and non-nationals and prvide employment for offices on a temp and permanent basis.

as well as ad hoc consultations.

My question to you 'locals' ( i think we more or less earned that title) do YOU feel there is a gap?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

lettiesmall1957 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recruitment

I know of one agency which has been advertising for sometime now for national and non nationals and for you to know what they exactly do, there phone no is 8315817, it would be worth phoning them and getting info first hand. good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lettiesmall1957
I know of one agency which has been advertising for sometime now for national and non nationals and for you to know what they exactly do, there phone no is 8315817, it would be worth phoning them and getting info first hand. good luck.
I am really sorry, but I am not entirely sure I know what you mean
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Icey
I am really sorry, but I am not entirely sure I know what you mean
I am talking about a recruitment agency which advertises jobs on behalf of companies, which is currently in Barbados. I thought you said you researched and there was nothing so I am mentioning this one for your information. And I gave you their number in case you would like to find out more about them. I am sorry if thats not what you are talking about.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:32 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

While I can't name any at the moment, I'm sure there are a couple of places that do this.. PriceWaterhouse Coopers used to do some specialized job services. Not sure of anything else, but there may be.

if you plan to come into Barbados to offer something like this, I'd highly recommend a couple of things..

1. Be a Barbadian and not require a work permit - you will need a work permit to be able to do this, and there are "plenty-nuff" (thats good bajan speak for plenty enough) people that do Human resources, they just don't know how to get it all together.

2. Same goes for the customer service side. someone started a NICE campaign (government agency I believe) a few years ago around the Cricket World Cup.. Supposed to teach and train people in customer service.

3. If you want to start a company, have the wherewithall and need someone to work the business for you.... I'll raise my hand and send my resume. I've had over 20 years of Customer Service Training in my main field of Travel, Tourism and Hospitality and I'm local (ok.. I'm an expat, but been here almost 17yrs soooo)...

good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

I am talking about a recruitment agency which advertises jobs on behalf of companies, which is currently in Barbados. I thought you said you researched and there was nothing so I am mentioning this one for your information. And I gave you their number in case you would like to find out more about them. I am sorry if thats not what you are talking about.
Yes it is, long day yesterday probably didnt help ease my confusion. Thanks for that
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
While I can't name any at the moment, I'm sure there are a couple of places that do this.. PriceWaterhouse Coopers used to do some specialized job services. Not sure of anything else, but there may be.

if you plan to come into Barbados to offer something like this, I'd highly recommend a couple of things..

1. Be a Barbadian and not require a work permit - you will need a work permit to be able to do this, and there are "plenty-nuff" (thats good bajan speak for plenty enough) people that do Human resources, they just don't know how to get it all together.

2. Same goes for the customer service side. someone started a NICE campaign (government agency I believe) a few years ago around the Cricket World Cup.. Supposed to teach and train people in customer service.

3. If you want to start a company, have the wherewithall and need someone to work the business for you.... I'll raise my hand and send my resume. I've had over 20 years of Customer Service Training in my main field of Travel, Tourism and Hospitality and I'm local (ok.. I'm an expat, but been here almost 17yrs soooo)...

good luck.

Thanks for that missy!

1) this really exists..... Then why is the service so bad with Digicell, courts, trimart etc

2) I remember this campaign didnt really take off as such

3) i spoke to my partner a local and it would be best to focus on the training rather then then recruitment. it is still a little seedling of an idea.

Last edited by Icey; Aug 26th 2009 at 4:17 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

hotchick21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Icey & All,

This sounds a Great idea!!

If you need any help don't forget me.... I'll be over tail end of September- thou only on the Island for two weeks I'll be seriously looking at forward plans to go 4 GOOD!

I am British born ( to bajan parents) with years of customer service skills, have ran my own departments within various high end companies therefore trained too, & currently working for a City Law Firm. Oh did I mention I have citizenship so know need for all that work permit hassle...

I wish you the best

Sandy x

Last edited by hotchick21; Aug 26th 2009 at 4:57 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:48 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jane2009
Icey, there is not a gap. A recent poll shows Bajans are not keen about more people moving to the island. If the government does what it says it will do, there will be a roundup of illegal aliens in a few months. A growing number of Bajans are losing their jobs. I think the trend in the near future will be to reduce the number of foreign workers, especially those from outside of the CARICOM region. This is just my guess. I don't have any inside information or data to backup what I am saying. I am a genuine "local." My family goes back many, many generations in Barbados. I know the mood of the people. Bajans are starting to feel claustrophobic and boxed in, because of the ever growing population and shrinking amount of uninhabited land. The current government is more "locals friendly" than the last one. I don't think you will be able to find enough jobs for foreigners to keep an agency going for long. As far as providing customer service training for Bajans, many people have been there done that. It won't work for you. Barbados needs teachers, doctors, and nurses. There is no need for any more "agencies." That is my opinion, for all it is worth.
I am married to a true bajan whos family has been here for over 300 years. I actually don't see this government as helpful to anyone as they seem to not be doing a lot of what they said they would and things seem to be getting worse not better.. for everyone.

While I totally agree with getting rid of the illegal immigrants (which is something the US should have done long ago), kicking the valid expat out of Barbados will do noone any good.. There are many great expats who have lived in Barbados for many years (including some who are seen as Bajan, but were born elsewhere) and have made a name and a business here and who have helped Barbados grow.

What you are basically saying in part of your paragraph is that Bajans don't want to learn customer service. They just want to go to work, do a job and go home. I walked in and out of at least 2 stores two days ago and had I been approached by anyone, I likely would have purchased something.. but the funniest thing that happened was I walked right passed a sales clerk who saw a good looking guy walk in the store and she began to talk to him and totally ignored me. What is that going to accomplish?? lack of sales.. but she will not be fired.. cause likely if she was .. good ole Workers Union would find some reason for the Union to go on strike cause she was just "doing her job".

Icey is saying to do this service for both Nationals and Non-nationals, not just for non-nationals.

But the biggest issue is Customer Service. There just isn't any.. and we rely on NON-NATIONALS to come into Barbados, spend money.. so that our country stays afloat.. if we didn't it wouldn't matter.. but we do.. So the Bajan mentality of 'I've got a job, you can't fire me regardless of the job I do" has to change.. and things could only get better if they did.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Sunnie, this is very well put.

I would agree that customer service seems to be a hotter topic among non-Nationals. I can understand where the attitude comes from, to a degree, as locals in the service industry have to deal with a menagerie of loud, rude, and sometimes drunken tourists (just being honest here!). However, having been in & out of the customer service realm my whole career, I think Barbados would do well to want to improve customer service.

The point of improving your customer service is not just so that tourists get a warm fuzzy feeling when they visit here. No, the benefit of excellent customer service is that it can increase sales while decreasing costs, thereby increasing overall profit. Which can mean more jobs. Which is highly desirable in a world economy that is sub-par at the moment.

Sunnie, your point about the Unions is also very valid. We see this all over the world. Unions can encourage apathy among employees as they are mostly "protected" whether or not they do a good job. Even if they lose their job, it's likely the union can help get it back. With this in mind, implementing a customer service program becomes more of a challenge, and one has to be innovative in their ways of encouraging it among employees. Icey, here's where the gap is, so take the idea and run with it.

Bottom line: If you can show the bottom-line (sorry to use that term twice) benefit to customer service on a company's balance sheet, they might be more interested. Better service = bigger profit, for many reasons (decreased operating costs, decreased refunds, better customer retention, repeat buying, etc!). Many visitors to Barbados come here regularly, and they'll remember where they were treated well/poorly.

Just my thoughts, and I recognize that not everyone agrees. Feel free to not agree with me.

Foxy
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
Sunnie, this is very well put.

I would agree that customer service seems to be a hotter topic among non-Nationals. I can understand where the attitude comes from, to a degree, as locals in the service industry have to deal with a menagerie of loud, rude, and sometimes drunken tourists (just being honest here!). However, having been in & out of the customer service realm my whole career, I think Barbados would do well to want to improve customer service.

The point of improving your customer service is not just so that tourists get a warm fuzzy feeling when they visit here. No, the benefit of excellent customer service is that it can increase sales while decreasing costs, thereby increasing overall profit. Which can mean more jobs. Which is highly desirable in a world economy that is sub-par at the moment.

Sunnie, your point about the Unions is also very valid. We see this all over the world. Unions can encourage apathy among employees as they are mostly "protected" whether or not they do a good job. Even if they lose their job, it's likely the union can help get it back. With this in mind, implementing a customer service program becomes more of a challenge, and one has to be innovative in their ways of encouraging it among employees. Icey, here's where the gap is, so take the idea and run with it.

Bottom line: If you can show the bottom-line (sorry to use that term twice) benefit to customer service on a company's balance sheet, they might be more interested. Better service = bigger profit, for many reasons (decreased operating costs, decreased refunds, better customer retention, repeat buying, etc!). Many visitors to Barbados come here regularly, and they'll remember where they were treated well/poorly.

Just my thoughts, and I recognize that not everyone agrees. Feel free to not agree with me.

Foxy
ITA. Customer services is really needed in beautiful Barbados. There is no point for some people to feel boxed up and yet the services are shoddy. In order for a company to grow to better heights, there should be good customer services and good management. We have all experienced questionable experiences as far as this subject goes.
Icey , If I were you, I would take up that challenge, if the powers be let you, because you might have fresher ideas to boost the already existing customer services, which is low at the moment.The agencies are there but not as effective as they should. Obviously that would give some Bajans jobs to some extent. The kind of attitude which some of us people have made some countries in Africa to fold , because they thought they knew what they were doing but at the end of the day it cost them, I am from Africa and I know what I am talking about.There is always need for competition for all businesses in order for them to be effective.This is how I look at things. Lettie
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jane2009
Icey, there is not a gapMy experience ( 2-4 months ever y ear for the last 7 years) has made me think otherwise. A recent poll shows Bajans are not keen about more people moving to the island i would put that down to Zenophobia and people being stuck in there ways, most locals have issues with returning nationals also. If the government does what it says it will do, there will be a roundup of illegal aliens in a few monthsI have a caricom passport . A growing number of Bajans are losing their jobs. I think the trend in the near future will be to reduce the number of foreign workers, especially those from outside of the CARICOM region. This is just my guess. I don't have any inside information or data to backup what I am saying. I am a genuine "local." My family goes back many, many generations in Barbados As do mines. I know the mood of the people as do I, however there are number of international business within barbados . Bajans are starting to feel claustrophobic and boxed in, because of the ever growing population and shrinking amount of uninhabited land. The current government is more "locals friendly" than the last one. I don't think you will be able to find enough jobs for foreigners to keep an agency going for long granted . As far as providing customer service training for Bajans, many people have been there done that. It won't work for you Thank you kindly for the positivity you have displayed here, however i would beg to differ and if i t fails miserably i can fall back onto practising law . Barbados needs teachers, doctors, and nurses. There is no need for any more "agencies." customer service consultations That is my opinion, for all it is worth.
please see the above
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

hotchick21 is an unknown quantity at this point

You GO girl!!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

ITA. Customer services is really needed in beautiful Barbados. There is no point for some people to feel boxed up and yet the services are shoddy. In order for a company to grow to better heights, there should be good customer services and good management. We have all experienced questionable experiences as far as this subject goes.
Icey , If I were you, I would take up that challenge, if the powers be let you, because you might have fresher ideas to boost the already existing customer services, which is low at the moment.The agencies are there but not as effective as they should. Obviously that would give some Bajans jobs to some extent. The kind of attitude which some of us people have made some countries in Africa to fold , because they thought they knew what they were doing but at the end of the day it cost them, I am from Africa and I know what I am talking about.There is always need for competition for all businesses in order for them to be effective.This is how I look at things. Lettie

I agree i think it is important to focus away recruitment and deeper into customer service training and maximising the potential of staff in order to create a moral / environment in which staff actually wish to be CS savvy
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:32 pm

Icey, a word of advice. If you can't take criticism, don't ask people for advice on an online forum like this. You asked locals (I am a local) to advise you on the feasibility of your business idea. You did not ask people to tell you positive things to make you feel good. Judging from the number of comments you have made rebutting most things I said, you seem to know it all, so why did you bother to ask for advice?
I've read a few of Icey's remarks and I see nothing really in this post or any other that would lead me to believe that this individual feels they are a know it all. and really more pointing out what the qualifications are to speak in authority about the subject.. I feel I can speak in an position of authority even as an American who has worked with many people in what should be the "customer service" area of Barbados and found that this service was sorely lacking 17 years ago when I first came here and today when I went to the store.. leads me to believe that nothing has come of any initiative, even though the big ups have tried.. they seem to have failed

Also, I have read quite a few comments that you have posted on this site. You, like many other foreign born commenters on this site, harbor negative views about Bajans and how Bajans do things. Before you can successfully train others to change their attitudes and behavior, you need to get your own attitude and behavior in check. If you approach Bajans with that “I am from abroad and I need to teach you how to act” attitude, you won’t like the response you get from some of us. Bajans have grown really tired of foreigners inviting themselves into Barbados and then complaining about the way we and things are.
Here is the problem with that statement. Many Barbadians work in positions were they are in contact with foriegn nationals ever single day and do to the fact that we are country completely reliant on foreign trade, business and tourism.. Barbadians HAVE to be able to be customer oriented people. Customer Service is Customer Service regardless of where you live.. It has no nationality or birth right.

For centuries, Bajans welcomed people from around the world with open arms, but because the immigration situation was allowed to get out of control for over a decade under the previous administration, and because of commitments CARICOM leaders have made to facilitate free movement of CARICOM nationals throughout the CARICOM states, many Bajans think that for our own survival, we must start closing the gate. To people on the other side of the gate, this is a bad thing, but to us, it will be comforting to know we can preserve some of what little is left of our country for ourselves and our descendants.
Close the gate to what??.. Illegals immigrants for sure. and yes I agree, we have to preserve what is good and right about Barbados, but shutting the foreigner out is not the way to do it. I can only imagine what would happen to this country if we did that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.