Re-locating to Barbados

Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Pied Piper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-locating to Barbados

Hi Everyone,

Of all the forums regards Barbados (of which there are not many) this one stands out as the best and most informative.

I am a Barbadian by naturalization and have lived on the island for 12 years (12 - 24), I then left and went back to my birth place of London.

But as most of you will know the living in London is getting tougher everyday so both me and my girlfriend are intending to come back to Barbados to live, however we do have some questions most of which have been answered on previous post but here goes.

1. Does anyone what the independent film and industry is like there as I am a freelance Producer/Filmmaker making corporate videos, (training videos, infomercials, etc)

2. We was also considering providing a executive transport service for the more decerning clientele, is this a service that could be sustained on the island? I am aware that there are many minibuses, taxis, hire companies on the island but does anyone offer a truly executive service?

3. Accomadtaion, we would have to rent initially but would like some ideas of areas to live preferably where we can interact with the locals and become part of the community and also feel relatively safe.

4. Does it really cost 3 time more to purchase a new car on the island as in the UK?... We were thinking of buying one here and shipping it over... sure the cost cannot be twice what the car cost to get it cleared from customs etc.

Ok thats it for now any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

MOLLY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re-locating to Barbados

Originally Posted by Pied Piper
Hi Everyone,

Of all the forums regards Barbados (of which there are not many) this one stands out as the best and most informative.

I am a Barbadian by naturalization and have lived on the island for 12 years (12 - 24), I then left and went back to my birth place of London.

But as most of you will know the living in London is getting tougher everyday so both me and my girlfriend are intending to come back to Barbados to live, however we do have some questions most of which have been answered on previous post but here goes.

1. Does anyone what the independent film and industry is like there as I am a freelance Producer/Filmmaker making corporate videos, (training videos, infomercials, etc)

2. We was also considering providing a executive transport service for the more decerning clientele, is this a service that could be sustained on the island? I am aware that there are many minibuses, taxis, hire companies on the island but does anyone offer a truly executive service?

3. Accomadtaion, we would have to rent initially but would like some ideas of areas to live preferably where we can interact with the locals and become part of the community and also feel relatively safe.

4. Does it really cost 3 time more to purchase a new car on the island as in the UK?... We were thinking of buying one here and shipping it over... sure the cost cannot be twice what the car cost to get it cleared from customs etc.

Ok thats it for now any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi

I think the best areas I have heard are on the west coast. A friend of mine has a property letting company over there and I can put you in touch if you like. Also, I looked into car import and it is really expensive from UK on import tax. Better to get one over there but they are expensive compared to England!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Peazle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re-locating to Barbados

If you want to mix in the community you probably want to look at the South Coast and possibly inland. The West Coast tends to attract a lot of expats (which of course can be very sociable) but Bajans are more likely to live in other areas.

I'm afraid there are already limo companies offering executive transport services (they have a special number plate - I think it is HL) though that's not to say that someone with the right marketing couldn't do well in the market.