Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

questions on moving to Barbados

questions on moving to Barbados

Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

elogic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default questions on moving to Barbados

Hello all this is my first post on britishxpats

Im 21 years old and i work as a freelance webdesigner which is cool, lets me move around.. Just got back from a year in spain lived in competa and denia was very cool.

Now im looking to move to barbados for at least 6 months.. How do i go about getting a visa so i can stay there for 6months, because someone told me you can only stay there for 30days without one.

Also can anyone recommend some rental places, im looking for a 2 bedroom apartment with internet access and my buget is $3000 barbados dollars per months

Thanks Alot
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: questions on moving to Barbados

Originally Posted by elogic
Hello all this is my first post on britishxpats

Im 21 years old and i work as a freelance webdesigner which is cool, lets me move around.. Just got back from a year in spain lived in competa and denia was very cool.

Now im looking to move to barbados for at least 6 months.. How do i go about getting a visa so i can stay there for 6months, because someone told me you can only stay there for 30days without one.

Also can anyone recommend some rental places, im looking for a 2 bedroom apartment with internet access and my buget is $3000 barbados dollars per months

Thanks Alot
Hello and welcome in our community

I am in the same boat than you, and I can only tell you that as a webdesigner the chances to get a permanent job there are not good......there are many webdesigners on the island (nationals), so you should have at least some skills the locals don´t have. If you plan to get self-employed than you may need a laywer who do all the work permit application for you, because immigration could be tough if you don´t know how to do it. In my case the company will apply for my work permit, but if you work as freelancer you have to do this by yourself. I don´know how it is by opening your own company there, you should do some research or just go there for 3 months (like I will do in September) and then go to a laywer who is specialized in applying for work permits.

Regarding acommodation - I am looking for a cheap acommodation for 3 months too, but I don´t have the budget like you, mine is even lower.....so you should find a nice apartment for that money. Either you look at some real estate agents (google) or look in the NationNews, but you have to be there to call the landlords and go and visit the properties first.
I do have very good experience with Rohan Moore from Champion Realtors - they have a website: www.cariblist.com

If you need more infos, just let me know

Belinda
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

elogic is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Belinda thanks for your reply, well i wont need any work on the island i work from my laptop and i have over 50 returning clients...i have being doing freelance for a while and i dont take on any new clients as i have more than enough as it is.

I would move there next month if i could i just need to find out some info on the visa terms.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by elogic
hey Belinda thanks for your reply, well i wont need any work on the island i work from my laptop and i have over 50 returning clients...i have being doing freelance for a while and i dont take on any new clients as i have more than enough as it is.

I would move there next month if i could i just need to find out some info on the visa terms.
Hi,

if you are just on the tourist visa, you can stay up to 90 days. But if you can prove that you have enough money to finance your life there, the immigration probably will extend your visa without much problems. But you will have to visit the immigration office in Bridgetown early enough. I wish you good luck!!!!