Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Question For Immigration Minister

Question For Immigration Minister

Old Aug 27th 2015, 8:21 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question For Immigration Minister

Excuse this unorthodox form of attempting to address those that make the immigration policies in Barbados but I know that both newspapers and decision makers do keep abreast of the Expat threads...proof has shown us in previous newspaper articles relating to some posts here

So I thought why not write something here and galvanise some support for an Immigration policy that I just don't understand why is currently not on offer in Barbados..if any of the other Caribbean Islands have this policy please let us know

"Global Entrepreneur Visa Status" ....Why is there not a status that can be applied for that allows those who have their own businesses and can work virtually online anywhere in the world to reside in Barbados..earning and attracting their clients and income globally but spending their income on Housing, Food, Entertainment, Health, and amenities with local companies in Barbados. This status would mean no drain on the island resources ie no one is entitled to healthcare or benefits etc but their income is spent locally.

I may be naive and not be aware of possible downsides but would love someone to point them out. Bermuda (or was it Bahamas?) had this title as a visa but the details still involved a sponsored work permit application???...If as a global entrepreneur you could prove via your business accounts that you had a healthy income and you paid for an annual visa just to be able to work virtually (online) from your home on an island that is perfect for the balance of mind when you need to relax - Barbados would then attract back high income visitors with their global business on their minds who want to spend their incomes on their downtime. I have come across so many of these types of people that would be interested and we have a number of posters here who have this lifestyle requirement/

If the option was capped to 3 years and then a required year break there is no issue with this leading to residency applications and if the cost of the visa was the same as a work permit (think that was $6000bds for 3 years) then allowing 500 people a year already brings a minimum income of 3Million!!!!!! thats without their spending their income - My maths are not my forte (neither is politics so bless me for trying) so check that calculation lol.

Like I said if any other island offers this option would love to know and if it works.....I cant see why this is not a win win all round..and sounds simple to implement?

Naively Yours

Dips

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 28th 2015 at 12:46 am.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:26 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question For Immigration Minister

Come and live in Grenada, a much more sensible island in this matter...
Old Sep 1st 2015, 12:04 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

How do they deal with it in Grenada Bob?..I have Cariacouan in laws
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:24 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy citizenship, by inward investment. Im not sure what the terms are, 500k us investment is banded about but i think they are all by individual arrangement. Of course having a grenadian parent or wife is easier. Also you can live here forever, just renew tourist visas on the island every 3 months, dont get arrested, buy a property and after 5 years you can get the right to live here forever, but not citizenship.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada View Post
You can buy citizenship, by inward investment. Im not sure what the terms are, 500k us investment is banded about but i think they are all by individual arrangement. Of course having a grenadian parent or wife is easier. Also you can live here forever, just renew tourist visas on the island every 3 months, dont get arrested, buy a property and after 5 years you can get the right to live here forever, but not citizenship.
St Lucia has just implemented (enacted) the same deal but that's not quite what the discussion relates to, so I believe.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serendipidy View Post
Excuse this unorthodox form of attempting to address those that make the immigration policies in Barbados but I know that both newspapers and decision makers do keep abreast of the Expat threads...proof has shown us in previous newspaper articles relating to some posts here

So I thought why not write something here and galvanise some support for an Immigration policy that I just don't understand why is currently not on offer in Barbados..if any of the other Caribbean Islands have this policy please let us know

"Global Entrepreneur Visa Status" ....Why is there not a status that can be applied for that allows those who have their own businesses and can work virtually online anywhere in the world to reside in Barbados..earning and attracting their clients and income globally but spending their income on Housing, Food, Entertainment, Health, and amenities with local companies in Barbados. This status would mean no drain on the island resources ie no one is entitled to healthcare or benefits etc but their income is spent locally.

I may be naive and not be aware of possible downsides but would love someone to point them out. Bermuda (or was it Bahamas?) had this title as a visa but the details still involved a sponsored work permit application???...If as a global entrepreneur you could prove via your business accounts that you had a healthy income and you paid for an annual visa just to be able to work virtually (online) from your home on an island that is perfect for the balance of mind when you need to relax - Barbados would then attract back high income visitors with their global business on their minds who want to spend their incomes on their downtime. I have come across so many of these types of people that would be interested and we have a number of posters here who have this lifestyle requirement/

If the option was capped to 3 years and then a required year break there is no issue with this leading to residency applications and if the cost of the visa was the same as a work permit (think that was $6000bds for 3 years) then allowing 500 people a year already brings a minimum income of 3Million!!!!!! thats without their spending their income - My maths are not my forte (neither is politics so bless me for trying) so check that calculation lol.

Like I said if any other island offers this option would love to know and if it works.....I cant see why this is not a win win all round..and sounds simple to implement?

Naively Yours

Dips
When entering St Lucia and saying that I'm retired on the Entry Form I always sensed that Immigration were saying 'Yeah Right!' as though they just knew I was actually involved in gainful employment. Thankfully I'm a George Washington character type.

In St Lucia, if you have 'residence' by owning real estate you can pretty much come and go as you please and just have your passport stamped every six months after checking that you are 'clean'. There are plenty of folks who don't have a work permit who carry on offshore business via the internet or whatever who are not bothered by the authorities when conducting LEGAL businesses. You can legitimise your business by setting up an offshore company which is not permitted to carry on business onshore St Lucia though I have heard of folks setting up an offshore company which still does business in St Lucia but on a tax free basis which has me rather confused - maybe that's according to WHO you know?

One would think that a global entrepreneur visa would allow Barbados residents to do business with the world and avoid paying tax ANYWHERE and this could get Barbados into trouble.

However, doesn't Barbados have a subtle difference from jurisdictions such as Bermuda in that taxation enters into the equation? I thought that you were taxed on your world income like the UK so the good folks at the local Inland Revenue are going to want their pound of flesh no matter the income source and this would put entrepreneurs off.

Actually it's the same deal in St Lucia for those regarded as ordinarily resident, though St Lucia has many areas of income that are not taxable, such as dividends and capital gains.

Not that anybody seems to care about what their actual tax liability would be IF they declared it properly to an Inland Revenue department that freely admits it is completely overwhelmed. Hence VAT for the poor as well as the rich.

In passing, I'm just not sure what the nature of the paperwork was that allowed Patrick Rafter and Nick Faldo to reside in Bermuda, along with a number of significant authors/writers who were not doing actual business on the island. I'm sure they didn't encounter any problems getting it done. The trouble is that discretion can cause all sorts of problems when dealing with IMMIGRATION so best to codify it in some sort of enactment secondary to the granting of work permits to members of the international business community wherever.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 1st 2015 at 11:49 am. Reason: In passing, I'm just not sure what the nature of the paperwork
Old Sep 1st 2015, 6:43 pm

Ok all a bit confusing for me Pete but thanks lol...I am suggesting that Global Entrepreuneurs are visitors not residents so their country of domicile would still be UK...My business was actually appraised for Tax both in Barbados and UK...for a work permit renewal you have to have a tax clearance certificate ...having a business in UK means you are liable for tax in UK..therefore there is no issue of residency or citizenship even entering into the equation...just as there is not with a work permit