British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Puppies in Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/puppies-barbados-708215/)

jamesLDN Mar 6th 2011 11:06 pm

Puppies in Barbados

Hi All,

First time poster here... I recently moved to Barbados about a month ago and just wanted to see if anyone had any expertise regarding puppies here in Barbados.

My girlfriend and I went to the Ark today to take a look but thought we would post up here to see if anyone is in the know about breeders or other possible places to take a look at dogs..

Thanks in advance.

J

brownes Mar 7th 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Puppies in Barbados

Hi...

Unfortunately there are too many dogs here in Barbados that are in desperate need of loving homes, you really should check out the hope sanctuary www.thehopesanctuary.com you can view the dogs available for adoption online and they have puppy's and dogs of all shapes, sizes and ages just waiting to be loved..The hope sanctuary do an amazing job..

Have you considered an older dog? I have always had puppies but we decided to adopt an older dog from the Hope, it's got to be the most rewarding thing I have ever done, please consider it, you need a little patience but they soon adapt to the being spoiled rotten life style!!

Also just out of curiosity are you here for the long run with no plans of leaving permanently? Forgive me for asking, I know it's almost impossible to answer that however the reason I ask such a question is that there are so many dogs here that become homeless when their owners decide they have had enough of Barbados or simply have to leave the Island, it's very sad...

Good luck with the hunt for a the new addition to the family - like I say unfortunately you will find too many dogs to choose from

:)

sue c Mar 7th 2011 8:46 pm

check the Hope Sanctionary

jamesLDN Mar 8th 2011 5:13 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Truly appreciated. I will take a drive to the Hope Sanctuary this weekend.

We are here for the long run. I am a Bajan citizen and have no desire to go back to the UK whatsoever. I have thought about older dogs but ultimately the decision is not all mine.

I saw British Bull Terriers in the nation newspaper but paying $2,500 seems rather steep in my opinion. Will keep a look out but if you do hear about any breeders having puppies then please do let me know. Totally open to different breeds at this time.

Thanks again

shines Mar 16th 2011 3:37 pm

Try to rethink the breeder route. Barbados is a small Island and there is a lot of inbreeding, a lot of abused animals and just a lot of lovely non breeds that need a home.

They tend to be healthier and hardier than a breed dog too as all the weaknesses that are bred in are lost once they become just a dog once more.

If you are not here for the long term - and this works for all you here on a 3 /4 yr contract - you can foster a dog from the Ark. It means one less dog in kennels and into a happy home even if only for a short while. The Ark will manage any vets bills but you are obviously responsible for feeding/caring for the dog.

I have 7 rescue dogs of all shapes and sizes, some were pups, some were older. They are fabulous, so loyal, loving and just damn grateful to have a good home. Don't discount them in favour of a breed....