Public beatings

Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Public beatings

Originally Posted by bamiskados
Looks like I am in the line of fire here now, LOL

This whole topic comes with this territory, one can agree or disagree, it makes no difference.
Most of us are from Europe and halfway the last century it was normal there as well, and look where we are now. I donĀ“t think any of of has the answer and the truth in my believe is that there is not one answer.
Every child is different, and what works for one will not work for another.
For some the sweet way works and the next one needs harder discipline, even in the same family.
Absolutely.

And personally, I think it's better we avoid the wider debate of what parents should/shouldn't do to their children. The original poster was talking about 'public beatings', which I took to mean what happens in our kids' schools.

I wouldn't judge a parent who smacks their child, it's not my place - but I'd question why they would allow someone else to do it by choosing the schools that still practice corporal punishment.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

P4TTY06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ikon

I wouldn't judge a parent who smacks their child, it's not my place - but I'd question why they would allow someone else to do it by choosing the schools that still practice corporal punishment.
My point exactly... Why should someone be beating my child...?and for all to see.. but apparently not allowing this means that my child may turn into a little devil... Hilarious...!!!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P4TTY06
My point exactly... Why should someone be beating my child...?and for all to see.. but apparently not allowing this means that my child may turn into a little devil... Hilarious...!!!
I think the words were:

That child if not disciplined properley can quickly turn from your little angel to your unruly devil

Which in itself is correct
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:02 am
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

To some of the people that dont agree let me give you a sample of what coporal punishment does at school.Unlike all or most of you i been to school in Barbados i finished school in 1989.At primary school i had a teacher name (SNIP)she would beat the children for not being able to answer a question correctly so as little ones every one was very scared,children goes to school to learn not to be terrified.At secondary school my english teacher was (SNIP) he is now (SNIP) ,he comes into the class room with his eyes red like fire and ready to beat even if you ask to go to the bathroom,very bad attitude and a great lack of communication.My geography teacher was very kind and he makes sure you understand he always takes his time and explain he is always in a good moode and has never hit a student.If anyone disturbe the class he would make them stand at the door.The teachers that was agressive was constantly being rebel against the kids never do well in their classes children stayed at home or pretend to be sick ,they refuse to take lashes,the teachers that was nice and does not beat the children had more respect,the class is always full the home work is always completed,the student is much happier they run to the teachers and help them with they bags oh what a different atmosphere.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 6th 2009 at 3:09 pm. Reason: Sorry, I had to remove names and where they work
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Neal

I am really sorry that you had to go through such experiences at school. It makes me really angry just reading your story and it re affirms my belief that corporal punishment at school is WRONG!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neal brown
I was shock to see that there are public beatings of children in Barbados schools,lots of people was outrage while most seems to agree,i think this is crazy and should be stop.
Its going to be tough. Since they removed it as official government policy the schools in Barbados have been on a slide. Females are beginning to overtake boys in education since many of the males are more concerned about showing off.
The government then announced new tough measures, no more altering the school uniforms to create short skirts. No more outrageous hair styles, etc. but those have had limited results. Kids are still acting unruly and doing things like tearing up the seats on the public buses and stuff. So the more traditionals in society are saying to bring back the licks in school to restore order. Back then if you were running late, you ran to school to get there before you arrived late and got licks.. But now some children are showing up 9 or 10 O'clock and think it is a joke.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:31 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Tropical_11th
Its going to be tough. Since they removed it as official government policy the schools in Barbados have been on a slide. Females are beginning to overtake boys in education since many of the males are more concerned about showing off.
The government then announced new tough measures, no more altering the school uniforms to create short skirts. No more outrageous hair styles, etc. but those have had limited results. Kids are still acting unruly and doing things like tearing up the seats on the public buses and stuff. So the more traditionals in society are saying to bring back the licks in school to restore order. Back then if you were running late, you ran to school to get there before you arrived late and got licks.. But now some children are showing up 9 or 10 O'clock and think it is a joke.
My point exactly, spare the rod, spoil the child. I grew up in an era of corporal punishment and my classes were always full, and nobody turned up late. There was respect then for teachers, and children had respect for themselves and were generally happy. The liberals here who are bawling to abolish licks for unruely children are creating a dangerous unruley generation, without even knowing it.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
My point exactly, spare the rod, spoil the child. I grew up in an era of corporal punishment and my classes were always full, and nobody turned up late. There was respect then for teachers, and children had respect for themselves and were generally happy. The liberals here who are bawling to abolish licks for unruely children are creating a dangerous unruley generation, without even knowing it.
I mean I'll admit it has become a divisive debate in Barbados... Some standby bringing it back and some (esp. those who may have met a bit more abusive situation), don't want this revisited on their children. I think what is eventually going to happen is you end up with two types of either public and private schools in Barbados. Ones where the parents support 'licks' for mis-behaving children, and some schools where it is forbidden. I think things are heading in that direction. I've debated both sides of the debate, as my views have changed overtime.