Public beatings

Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Public beatings

Just because something WORKS doesn't make it RIGHT.

Robbing a bank would 'work' to make me rich, but it's not the 'right' route to the result I want.

It's wrong to solve your problems with violence or action, and it's wrong to use superior physical strength to overcome someone. We have to find better ways of dealing with our problems, looking backwards and saying "This used to work" won't do anything to solve today's issues.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikon
Just because something WORKS doesn't make it RIGHT.

Robbing a bank would 'work' to make me rich, but it's not the 'right' route to the result I want.

It's wrong to solve your problems with violence or action, and it's wrong to use superior physical strength to overcome someone. We have to find better ways of dealing with our problems, looking backwards and saying "This used to work" won't do anything to solve today's issues.
Where did I say it was??? I did say I was not condoning it, and I also said that times have changed. I am only telling you how things used to be in the UK, and I think its important for people to understand the history of how it changed in the UK over a period of 35 years to address how it can change in Barbados too!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, that was more of a general reply to all the posts talking about "when there was corporal punishment, there were fewer problems".
I realised yours wasn't condoning it, however there were quite a few posters before you who clearly are.....
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:15 am
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

To Bamiskados,I was not suprised i raise the topic here to hear your views as expats and was intrested in your opinion.I am a born and bred Bajan and dont have any type of lack of action in my life,i live quite a very happy life and have a son that i will never hit ,he gets the love and attention any child should have, so when i speak to him his action is positive,so for your information i do love to have discussions with people from all walks of life,just hope you dont end up like the Guyanese and make sure that you are legall.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Are the bajan kids unruly ?

A good few, yes.

Are the bajan kids binge drinking ?

Oh yes, but not all

Are the bajan Kids experimenting with drugs ?

Sadly, yes again.

having under age sex ?

What is the amount of teenage pregnancies again. And would their parents really know about it.

having no respect for their elders ?

most do so, I have to admit

Do they have no respect for themselves ?

I have some doubt in a number of cases

Killing each other senselessly ?

Has been known to happen.

All these points happen in Barbados just like in other places in the world, don't make it sound as if things are perfect here, because they are not.
Everyplace in the world has teenagers that are obstinate, and rotten apples, we are not really different.

So maybe, just maybe, the bajan authorities know what they are doing and we should but our noses out of their business.

It is not all about the authorities, it´s about society, a bunch of us foreigners can have our own views and opinions but cannot change a country and its ways until it is ready to, and there have been a lot of change since I first came there(30 years ago).
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:19 pm
Banned

neal brown is an unknown quantity at this point

Bamiskados I think that you are having a bit to much of that old Bajan Rum Punch or to much Mount Gay Rum ,since the discussion is about corporal punishment and who agree and disagree the list of things that you have mention about kids in Barbados today clearly shows everyone on this forum that corporal punishment is not working,because if it was working as you presume you would mention things like every young child is doctors or lawyers and holding their head up high because of corporal punishment, but instead the vast majority is involve in some kind of illicit behavour shows us clearly that your idea of punishment dont work,since it is allowed in Barbados society for so many years we should be a drug free nation with 3 or 4 universities full of young Bajans because of coporal punishment.Even a blind man can see and understand the point i am trying to make
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:23 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neal brown
i do love to have discussions with people from all walks of life,just hope you dont end up like the Guyanese and make sure that you are legall.
What's this got to do with the conversation or the price of chips ?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

Neal, just quoting the list from pgtips and putting answers behind it. It was made to look as if bajan kids are picture perfect which they are not.

I have not given my views on the topic anywhere, so you must have gotten me confused with some one else.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados, one thing you did say is that the Bajan authorities may know what they're doing and we, as foreigners, should keep our noses out of it.

A lot of us, yourself included possibly, have chosen to make their lives here and participate in the country as a whole. That (in most democracies) allows for debate of, and even disagreement with, government policies.

It doesn't mean that we're trying to impose British/American/other values on the country, it just means we as individuals feel the policy and law should reflect a certain thing. Participation is considered a good thing in democracy, the idea of just leaving the government to get on with ANYTHING isn't generally a good idea.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:58 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neal brown
but instead the vast majority is involve in some kind of illicit behavour shows us clearly that your idea of punishment dont work,since it is allowed in Barbados society :
Come on Neal, no one has said the vast majority of Bajan kids are running wild. Stop distorting the facts to your advantage. I am sure the vast majority are well mannered members of society. The girl guides and boy scouts type.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ikon
bamiskados, one thing you did say is that the Bajan authorities may know what they're doing and we, as foreigners, should keep our noses out of it.

Bamiskados did not say that, I did. I think he was just using the quote for reference. If people do not like how the government are handling things they have the democratic right to vote them out at the next election.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Are the bajan kids unruly ?
Are the bajan kids binge drinking ?
Are the bajan Kids experimenting with drugs ?
having under ade sex ?
having no respect for their elders ?
Do they have no respect for themselves ?
Killing each other senselessly ?

So maybe, just maybe, the bajan authorities know what they are doing and we should but our noses out of their business.

Ikon, again, look above, i was quoting the msg from pgtips, which i believe you commented on as well.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Oh sorry, it was hard to tell which words were whose!

I have indeed already replied @ pgtips earlier in the thread :-)
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
Bamiskados did not say that, I did. I think he was just using the quote for reference. If people do not like how the government are handling things they have the democratic right to vote them out at the next election.
They also have the right to discuss it, don't they? I'd say that was one of the cornerstones of democracy. How would you ever change your mind on something, or make an informed decision, without these discussions?

There may be people on the island who have no idea that corporal punishment exists in schools if perhaps they've moved here during retirement or don't have young kids, for instance. It may still be an important issue to them.

Granted, some of the conversation has taken a comical tone in this thread...... I hope that doesn't distract from the overall quality of the debate.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like I am in the line of fire here now, LOL

This whole topic comes with this territory, one can agree or disagree, it makes no difference.
Most of us are from Europe and halfway the last century it was normal there as well, and look where we are now. I don´t think any of of has the answer and the truth in my believe is that there is not one answer.
Every child is different, and what works for one will not work for another.
For some the sweet way works and the next one needs harder discipline, even in the same family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.