British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Public beatings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/public-beatings-636455/)

neal brown Oct 19th 2009 11:20 am

Public beatings
 
I was shock to see that there are public beatings of children in Barbados schools,lots of people was outrage while most seems to agree,i think this is crazy and should be stop.

pgtips Oct 27th 2009 6:14 pm

Re: Public beatings
 

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8027606)
I was shock to see that there are public beatings of children in Barbados schools,lots of people was outrage while most seems to agree,i think this is crazy and should be stop.

Well they stopped corporal punishment in the UK and look what mess the kids are in now. If it works for them and helps stem the social problems of undisciplined children why is it bothereing you?

Sunniebgi Oct 27th 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
I would have to guess, although I haven't read the law, that when it gets to that stage, there likely isn't any other recourse, short of sending them to jail. I'm sorry I didn't read the article but guess I should find it and read it. I don't necessarily agree and think there should be an alternate.. however.. having said that. I have to agree with pg on this one.. Children are children and while there are the rights of the child, it's taking it a little too far when disrespectful behavior becomes the norm (as it has in many places) and parent's can't even spank their child in public for fear of being put in jail.

neal brown Oct 27th 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
It is bothering me because not even the members of the terrorist group that blew up the world trade centre or bomb the London underground was in for a public flogging as a matter of fact if any of the athourities had hit any of those hardened criminals it would of come out to be toture or some kind of abuse,tell me where in history does inflicting pain (Lashes)on a person make them better do you watch super nanny does super nanny ever hit or advise parents to hit a child no way,so come on people that is a slave trader mentality to beat & abuse all it brings is hatred & revenge.

Ikon Oct 27th 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
I think the debate about parents being allowed to punish their own children is separate to corporal punishment in schools.

I would never discipline my child physically, and have never even been tempted to, but I wouldn't judge parents who do. It's not my place to judge how other parents bring up their children unless they're abusive.

When it comes to schools though - I simply can't comprehend the idea of a teacher thinking it's ok to touch my child, and I would certainly never send my child to a school that did operate such a policy! It's one of the few areas of Bajan culture that I would be openly critical about, and hope laws change on this subject in the near future.

pgtips Oct 28th 2009 11:34 am

Re: Public beatings
 

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8049722)
It is bothering me because not even the members of the terrorist group that blew up the world trade centre or bomb the London underground was in for a public flogging as a matter of fact if any of the athourities had hit any of those hardened criminals it would of come out to be toture or some kind of abuse,tell me where in history does inflicting pain (Lashes)on a person make them better do you watch super nanny does super nanny ever hit or advise parents to hit a child no way,so come on people that is a slave trader mentality to beat & abuse all it brings is hatred & revenge.

Personally I would have given them terrorist the beating of their life. Maybe if they had got this tough love as a child they would not have grown up to be the monsters who are capable of carrying out such attrocities.

There is a big difference between beating a child to stem the errors of their ways and abusing a child physically.

In the Uk they took the right of spanking away from schools, then from parents. When children are not disciplined as a child you are then creating problems for society. These kids have no fear of repurcussion for when they do wrong. Now they cause all sorts of mayhem, including killing each other.
Their sense of right from wrong has been so perverted that they cannot distinguish between the two.

Where are the goody two shoe social workers now ? They cried for the abolishment of corparal punishment and now they are the ones blaming the parents for childrens bad behaviour. They go as far to separate families, fine parents and threaten to put them in jail because of their unruly kids.

They have played right into the devils hands, because Satan has found a way to break up families using social workers as his tools.

Spare the rod spoil the child is as relevant today as it has ever been, we've seen where sparing the rod has led to.

I hope this has given you some food for thought.

PS My dad raised three sons successfully using this philosophy and I am raising sons of my own now, so maybe I know a bit about this subject

Peanut Punch Oct 28th 2009 6:46 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
It is so sad to see young boys killing each other and unfortunately it is too common in the UK as well as in the US.
The pendulum seems to have swung so far that children seem to have more rights than parents. I come across many parents who seem to be scared to say 'no' to their toddlers and give them whatever they want, whenever they want it. Toddlers learn that when they scream, throw tantrums and start punching they can get whatever they want.

When children are always right (even when badly behaved) and always get what they want they grow into adults expecting this to continue. When they bump into a another such adult - then the problems starts....

I think beating is wrong but discipline (physical as a very last resort and not excessive or in anger) is important as well as giving children praise to help them to grow into considerate, well-adjusted adults.

What a shame that when smacking was stopped - there wasn't any advice on how to effectively discipline children....
Now there are so many young lives being lost and so many of them have so much potential...

BeachZombie Nov 2nd 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
I got hit with the ruller when I was a kid in school. It wasnt abuse and my parents were ok with it. I agree with it until this day and Im thankful that it kept me focused on school work. When a teacher smacked me accross the chest, keep in mind I was only 7 years old, my dad came down to the school and raised hell. There is a fine line and I agree with some form of punishment but we should not leave the door wide open because people are people and there are always a few that will push it towards abuse.

Kids are out of controll these days.

Mitzyboy Nov 2nd 2009 2:55 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
My headmaster was my father ..... I lost count of the number of times I got the cane or the slipper! :D

neal brown Nov 2nd 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
I think a lot of you are missing the point,i never said that you should not dicipline a child,what i disagree with is the public flogging of school children,and flogging at schools.I still go back to the Super Nanny point,she takes care of some of the most unruley children,but Super Nanny always find a solution with out ever hitting any of the children,i think a lot of you need to change with the times,and stop your old time thinking it does not work these days,thats why the world is so dangerous today because the polititions are to old and just thinking about what happen 60 & 70 years ago if Bill Gates was thinking like that we may never have computers,if the world in generald was thinking like some of you we will be still riding mules and horses,diesease will take over and all of us will die.

shines Nov 2nd 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
Well there is a happy thought...

bamiskados Nov 2nd 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
I think I like the idea of riding horses...........

How do you or would you discipline your children, neal?

pgtips Nov 3rd 2009 12:17 pm

Re: Public beatings
 

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8065260)
I think a lot of you are missing the point,i never said that you should not dicipline a child,what i disagree with is the public flogging of school children,and flogging at schools.I still go back to the Super Nanny point,she takes care of some of the most unruley children,but Super Nanny always find a solution with out ever hitting any of the children,i think a lot of you need to change with the times,and stop your old time thinking it does not work these days,thats why the world is so dangerous today because the polititions are to old and just thinking about what happen 60 & 70 years ago if Bill Gates was thinking like that we may never have computers,if the world in generald was thinking like some of you we will be still riding mules and horses,diesease will take over and all of us will die.

Neal, have you got any children ?
I think you have got things a bit muddled up, it is the old way of thinking of firm discipline for children that kept them in line. Kids were taught to respect their parents and authority figures. Where has this all gone. If you try and correct the youths now they want to beat you up. What do you suggest when these unruley kids are f'ing and blinding at you ? Call the super heroe super nanny ? Its this liberal thinking that has led to the state of our youths now. Children want to be disciplined and be taught to live respectfully with their fellow human beings, not left to their own devices.

I was watching the news just last night and yet another sensless death caused by these unruly drunk youths. A couple were out celebrating halloween and on their way back home were set upon by a gang of youths.
The guy was killed senselessly http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._Halloween_Hat.

Why, drunkeness and lack of self control and discipline instilled in these people. How many more of these ghastly stories do we have to read.

On another occassion a husband was killed on his own road by a gang of youths he told off for tampering with his car which was parked in his own drive !!!! This is just the tip of the iceberg, but hey lets call super nanny.

Leave the Bajans alone, if the public floggins of unruley youths works for them, let us butt our noses out, because we sure as hell have made a complete mess of things with our own youths.

neal brown Nov 3rd 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Public beatings
 
:thumbsup:Decipline a child start from a very young age,it also has a lot to do with the enviroment the child is being brought up in should it be a caring and loving atmosphere,or a constant miserable one parents are to blame most of the time a child does what their parents do a child speaks what their parents speak that how it all started.How can i decipline a child by love care and attention showing affection giving that child support and the amount of time it needs,talk to the child, make that child feel wanted & happy we are only human being we all will have a period of naughty ness,but unruly children only needs love and attention just like a loving relationship between husband and wife,therefore when you have developed that strong love ,bond and quailty time for each other no one can ever break or take none of you apart. Do you beat your dog to decipline it,do you beat your wife or husband to decipline them,shall we beat harden criminals to make them better, the answer is no,you seek help through conselling or some kind of professional,what parents need is to be a counseller for their children beating will never solve problems it create hate and revenge,i am very sorry for anyone that think beating make them a better person maybe they have heard that from their great grandmother.I cant blame the youth for being this way in today society because there are the seeds that was sown by the people that believe in beating,what you sow so shall you reap.

pgtips Nov 3rd 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Public beatings
 

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8067326)
:thumbsup:Decipline a child start from a very young age,it also has a lot to do with the enviroment the child is being brought up in should it be a caring and loving atmosphere,or a constant miserable one parents are to blame most of the time a child does what their parents do a child speaks what their parents speak that how it all started.How can i decipline a child by love care and attention showing affection giving that child support and the amount of time it needs,talk to the child, make that child feel wanted & happy we are only human being we all will have a period of naughty ness,but unruly children only needs love and attention just like a loving relationship between husband and wife,therefore when you have developed that strong love ,bond and quailty time for each other no one can ever break or take none of you apart. Do you beat your dog to decipline it,do you beat your wife or husband to decipline them,shall we beat harden criminals to make them better, the answer is no,you seek help through conselling or some kind of professional,what parents need is to be a counseller for their children beating will never solve problems it create hate and revenge,i am very sorry for anyone that think beating make them a better person maybe they have heard that from their great grandmother.I cant blame the youth for being this way in today society because there are the seeds that was sown by the people that believe in beating,what you sow so shall you reap.

Neal, now come on this becoming like the comedy hour :rofl:
Yes I got a good lash from my parents when I stepped way out of line and I never held any resentment towards them as an adult. Are you saying people who spank their children do not love them ? have you not heard of tough love ?

The seeds were sown when corporal punishment was abolished not the other way around.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:26 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.