British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Primary Schools Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/primary-schools-barbados-712849/)

snillum Apr 11th 2011 1:08 am

Primary Schools Barbados

Hi im looking for a school for my son - Can anyone advise about Hill Top or St Angela's?
Have looked at some of the other threads regarding schools - but couldn't see anything regarding Hill Top in particular!

Thanks!

Sunniebgi Apr 11th 2011 2:17 am

Re: Primary Schools Barbados

Hill Top is a small school , I'm not that familiar with it.. sorry.

St. Angela's is the Primary Portion of The Ursuline Convent School (St. Ursula's is the All Girls Secondary Portion).

The class sizes vary depending on year but I'd say between 25 and 30 students in a class. how old is your child?? The school itself is located on a large area of grounds with a pool and a very large field for PE. Each grade takes swimming, once the child as reached a certain age. There are also after school activities that the children can become involved as well. You will need register early as many of the years are already full and have waiting lists.. they do start them at 3years and for boys go up to age 11. They do follow the Ministry of education curriculum. The school has gone through some staffing changed in recent years but mostly in the upper portion of the primary and the secondary school. it's a very welcoming school. it is a Catholic school and the nuns, not as much as before, are around the school and do play a part in the children's school day.

songbird835 Apr 11th 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 9297207)
Hill Top is a small school , I'm not that familiar with it.. sorry.

St. Angela's is the Primary Portion of The Ursuline Convent School (St. Ursula's is the All Girls Secondary Portion).

The class sizes vary depending on year but I'd say between 25 and 30 students in a class. how old is your child?? The school itself is located on a large area of grounds with a pool and a very large field for PE. Each grade takes swimming, once the child as reached a certain age. There are also after school activities that the children can become involved as well. You will need register early as many of the years are already full and have waiting lists.. they do start them at 3years and for boys go up to age 11. They do follow the Ministry of education curriculum. The school has gone through some staffing changed in recent years but mostly in the upper portion of the primary and the secondary school. it's a very welcoming school. it is a Catholic school and the nuns, not as much as before, are around the school and do play a part in the children's school day.

I cant tell you much about Hill Top, again it is a very small school, not a lot of grounds...

As for St Angelas...I have 2 1/2 yr old twins and they are starting at St Angelas in sept....they start at 3 , but are only in for half day when they start at that age...so if your like me working full time, then you will need to find alternative arrangements for them after 11:45 am...(mine will have to go back to the nursery they are at now)

After looking at schools, i find i like this one as i like the teaching methods..and i know quite a few people who's children attend this school....St Gabriels is also a very good school, they are commencing a new class this year for 3 yr olds too.....

Gravy Apr 12th 2011 2:31 pm

Hill Top has been doing expansion recently so its facilities may be worth a look. They do get good Common Entrance results and I suspect their fees may be lower than the Collymore Rock area schools.

Sunniebgi Apr 12th 2011 9:37 pm

with totally and complete apologize.. where did Hill Top Expand.. can't imagine there is room.

The primary at St. Angela's is about 1400.00BBD a term and St. Gabriel's is now 1825.00 per term.. (I'll have to double check the actual figure for St. Angela's but this is now what I pay for my 9year old at St. Gabriel's.. and to me, It's worth it.. (and by the way.. cheap by any stretch of the imagination and compared to what you spend in US, UK and Canada

snillum Apr 12th 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks for all the feedback