British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Pre-Primary Education (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/pre-primary-education-735834/)

Tooth_Fairy Oct 16th 2011 3:21 pm

Pre-Primary Education

Hi Everyone
As I have not had any response to my last thread I wondered if anyone who has a child/baby that goes to pre-primary/nursery in Barbados could tell me how they find it. Especially if you have experienced education in England.

I am not necessarily asking for criticism just fascinated about the literacy rate being almost 100%. I would imagine this is because of the availability of books, the ICT that has been brought in for the country's improvement and the learning of another language which I believe to be Spanish (introduced at this age as well). Any feedback warmly welcomed.
Tooth_Fairy

:fingerscrossed:

Sunniebgi Oct 17th 2011 12:59 am

Re: Pre-Primary Education

HI there. it seems you put the question into the Caribbean section but specifically for Barbados.. so it didn't show up (if the only place I look, because it's booked marked) is in the Barbados Forum.

Regarding pre-primary education, I have had 3 children go through this system in Barbados and 2 are now in Secondary schools. Can't compare it to the system in the UK because I am from the US and my husband Barbados. All 3 children attended my sister-in-law's Montessori pre-school and loved it. The work that they did with the children (she closed the school about 6 years ago) was much more than just playtime, teaching them to recognize the alphabet, learn basic words etc, all through the Montessori Method (she was trained in the UK for Montessori education)

I don't know what ICT is so can't comment on that, and I would say that the learning of another language is almost relegated to the secondary education rather than primary or pre-primary. while all 3 children learned some words and phrases in Spanish through those year, they didn't really have proper teaching until they reached secondary school, at which they are required to take 1 or 2 languages, depending on the school, for at least the first 2 if not 3 years. (that is usually Spanish and French)

Barbados has always had a very high literacy rate because the country believe is the educated person. (almost to a fault). Children are generally in a school type setting from age 2 to 2 1/2 and then are required by law to go to a primary school from age 4. (there are countries around the world that don't start primary education until the age of 7).

hope this has helped in your research..

Tooth_Fairy Oct 17th 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Pre-Primary Education

Hi Sunniebgi
Thank you so much for your reply. My husband's cousin is German and married to a Bajan I think five or six years ago and they have a catamaran business. She has given me some information but she has no children hence my plea.
Montesorri is very much the same in England but most nurseries, like the one I manage are play based so sitting down to specific work books is not an encouraged element in pre-schools. Their primary education starts at 4 although legally not until 5.

Presumably with this school type setting for 2 to 2 1/2 year olds they are sitting down and doing specifics? Writing and Maths?
ICT is Information computer technology so wanted to know if children are introduced and using before the age of 4 really (very much a strong element here) and I had read about Computers being brought into schools.
I also understand that there is more being done to encourage nursery education with improvements to some places (read something in Advocate newspaper online)
If you can think of anything else that would be great
Thanks
Tooth_Fairy :thumbsup: