British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Potentially re-locating to barbados with bajan partner - Job Opportunities? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/potentially-re-locating-barbados-bajan-partner-job-opportunities-936372/)

Jskeels95 Jan 3rd 2021 9:21 pm

Potentially re-locating to barbados with bajan partner - Job Opportunities?

Hi,

New to the forum and would appreciate any advice!

My partner is a Bajan and we are currently living in London together. In the next couple of years it's very likely we will need to re-locate to Barbados permanently.

In terms of moving to Island, one of my chief concerns is finding employment. I work in Marketing, so it would be great if anyone could provide some insight into job opportunities in Barbados? Also, is there anywhere online where I can find info on average salaries?

I would expect my pay to drop from what I earn in the UK, however, it's difficult to determine how large a drop that will be?

Would be great to get some insight on how others have transitioned career-wise from the UK to Barbados, so any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

uk_grenada Jan 3rd 2021 10:59 pm

Re: Potentially re-locating to barbados with bajan partner - Job Opportunities?

Are you married?

Jskeels95 Jan 3rd 2021 11:13 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Currently, we are not, but we would marry before the move (as I understand it, we would need to be married for me to have the right to reside/work).

The main reason for the post was just to get an idea of the job market, opportunities for expats in my line of work, and in general, just get a sense of transitioning career-wise from UK to Barbados.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sunniebgi Jan 3rd 2021 11:56 pm

Interesting predicament .. Re the question Uk Grenada posed and you answered. .. you couldn't work on the island as an expat unless you had a work permit. As getting married is an option, you would also need to apply for residency or citizenship by marriage to be able to qualify for the Reside and work.. it's NOT a separate document (and I'm not sure it applies to residency, but maybe only citizenship)..

In terms of the jobs. That's a whole other animal. marketing professionals come in all shapes and sizes and abilities.., as I'm sure you are aware. I'm not sure anyone here can give you the kind of info you might be looking for on the job front. the other aspect is, while there are local companies, some are owned by larger companies outside of Barbados and in some cases, their marketing may be done by outside entities.. AND .. having just said there, there are some companies who will "pad" a job description to suit the resume of an expat they wish to hire, thinking there isn't someone in Barbados who is qualified.. I have a local/Bajan friend who applied for a 'real state job" she would have been ultimately qualified for in her field of "marketing plus" (she could have sold anyone a home and done the marketing herself).. and wasn't hired, because the company had someone they wanted, who wasn't Barbados (and because part of the target market was in the UK, felt that person, with the English accept, would connect with buyers better...)

you may want to check around google, or even some facebook (if you are on FB) info regarding jobs in Barbados and see what's available now, just to see what is or isn't available. ..

uk_grenada Jan 4th 2021 9:41 am

Effectively if you are married you can become a citizen then do any work you can get. As has been said - explore what might be available but dont expect to find a lot and certainly dont expect uk or us salaries. Just a higher cost of living for the same lifestyle. People who have to work to be on a caribbean island often end up changing job type, or actually having several job hats isnt unusual.

If not married you can only be sponsored as your employer would have to pay for the work permit etc, not something you are allowed to do.

Serendipidy Jan 14th 2021 12:42 pm

After Covid the world is more open to remote working, in the UK it is likely to become an optional norm. Maybe its worth considering a marketing job in the UK that allows you to work remotely.