British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Pools? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/pools-660815/)

bakergirl Mar 23rd 2010 7:28 pm

Pools?

Hi, All -
I've been on the island with my kids and hubby for 2 months now. We do a lot of swimming at the beach, but I'd love to find a pool to take my kids to (3 1/2 and 14 months). It seems the Aquatic Center is primarily just for lessons. I am interested in lessons and would like any teacher recommendations, but I'm really wondering about pools for playing in? Any with slides or a toddler pool?

And, which beaches do you think are best for swimming with young kids?

Thanks for your help!

Sunniebgi Mar 24th 2010 3:14 am

Re: Pools?

Originally Posted by bakergirl (Post 8442451)
Hi, All -
I've been on the island with my kids and hubby for 2 months now. We do a lot of swimming at the beach, but I'd love to find a pool to take my kids to (3 1/2 and 14 months). It seems the Aquatic Center is primarily just for lessons. I am interested in lessons and would like any teacher recommendations, but I'm really wondering about pools for playing in? Any with slides or a toddler pool?

And, which beaches do you think are best for swimming with young kids?

Thanks for your help!

The Aquatic Centre is the only public pool (you still pay to use it) and yes at this point it's mainly for lessons and teams. no other real free time. There are hotel pools, some allow for you to use them as long as you buy from there restaurant or bar, but I'm sorry I can't advise which ones.

my choice of beach for your little ones would either be the west end of Accra/Rockley beach.. down by the Bar Kanai, or some where along Carlisle Bay. of course it really depends on where you live.. these are great of middle of the island and south.. if you live on the west coast, then find a good stretch of beach there.. like Paynes Bay

Good luck

Serendipidy Mar 24th 2010 7:10 pm

Most locals seem to take the kids to miami - there is alittle bit that is surrounded by rocks which breaks up the current its right next to the main beach - i love it there as its so tranquil and very rarely rough.

I would warn you tho for some reason i always burn there!!!

shines Mar 25th 2010 2:02 pm

If you are on the West Coast then the beach north of Port St Charles is very calm and shallow, it is where we go most of the time.

Starlit Sands Mar 26th 2010 2:48 am

Hi there,

You could take your little ones to Silver Sands Resort (hotel) to use their pool? It's on the south coast. There is a large sized children's pool, plus there's an adult pool. The hotel welcomes visitors who are not staying in the hotel.

:thumbup:

To use the facilities, you just need to purchase a BBD$35 card from Reception on arrival, which is broken down as follows:
$5 is non-refundable charge, so basically pays for your sunbed
$10 is refundable security deposit for the card, which is returned to you on exit, at Reception
$20 you can spend at the bar on drinks and food. (when we've visited previously, they have returned any money to us not spent). If you want to spend more than $20 at the bar, the card can be topped up at Reception.

Towels are not provided, but there is a water container on the bar where you can help yourself to cold drinking water.

When you purchase your card at Reception, it only lasts 24hours, so be sure to collect any monies owed before leaving, otherwise you will lose any value you had left on the card!

songbird835 Mar 26th 2010 7:19 pm

Hi, I have 19 month old twins and i know how you feel however, well i dont know what space you have but here are some ideas. Pricesmart are currently selling the big home pools, 1 u inflate it is 12 feet by 3 1/2 feet tall for $229 or they have the steel frame type at 15 feet for $879, both come with filters and covers and all of that.
The other option is the beach, we have recently joined the cruising club in aquatic gap on the way to the hilton for $400 for the year as a family membership. For that we get use of all the facilities which include using club boats, lazers, kayak, loungers and the newly done bar and restaurant. they have lovely showers and changing rooms and the beach is so smooth there are no rocks, obviously cos of the boats moored far out, so i find it great for the children to enjoy!!

hope this is helpful, the cruising club have a website too!!

i

Foxy_fromCanada Mar 26th 2010 8:44 pm

The cruising club website is www.barbadoscruisingclub.org

The club is open Thursday through Sunday from 12pm and they serve food, too.

I've seen those pools at Pricesmart too - they look pretty good, actually!

songbird835 Mar 26th 2010 8:52 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.52 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Actually we want to buy a pool but we are looking to rent another house and move from where we are so I've told my husband to hang fire til we move to buy 1!!!! The cruising club showers etc are open out of the clubs hours as they are accessed by a code lock number!! Great idea and the food is fantastic, homemade chocolate brownies last night!!!

Foxy_fromCanada Mar 26th 2010 9:04 pm

Sorry, I meant the BAR is open Thurs-Sun from 12pm. So you can get food and drinks during that time :)

songbird835 Mar 26th 2010 10:36 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.52 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Ohhh lol dumb blonde me!!! Good drinks they are too! Matthew the new barman rocks!

zanne Mar 27th 2010 2:50 am

Starlit Sands, excellent tip re: Silver Sands...is that available all year round, 7 days? I know that you can get day passes to the Hilton-- but they have a fixed number of them and you have to call ahead etc.