British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Plant Nurseries - Recommended ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/plant-nurseries-recommended-548120/)

jondent Jul 10th 2008 12:31 pm

Plant Nurseries - Recommended ?

Hi there expats !

I'm having a house built at the moment, well due to be completed in the next few days and need to do some planting.

I have the soil, irrigation, drips and lawn already being installed by the builder.

What I need is a list of recommended nurseries where I can get both young and mature plants for collection or delivery. A bit of searching reveals a bunch of places, but I'd rather not be driving all over the place.

One I have been past recently is Griffin up in St Thomas, that looked good for big stuff at any rate.

Any other thoughts very much welcomed

I'm on island from 9th August in my new house... deliveries of furniture, white goods etc kick off on the 11th !!

Cant wait :)

Jon

jondent Jul 12th 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Plant Nurseries - Recommended ?

Oh come on ... 38 views and no one has any green fingers ?

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 12th 2008 8:17 pm

Okay, I'll admit I'm a silent viewer... I've only just arrived so I can't offer any advice. I'm waiting to see what the responses are as I'm looking for that information as well!

Good luck.
Foxy :thumbup:

jondent Jul 12th 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 6564745)
Okay, I'll admit I'm a silent viewer... I've only just arrived so I can't offer any advice. I'm waiting to see what the responses are as I'm looking for that information as well!

Good luck.
Foxy :thumbup:

Hey there Foxy ... where are you living ? I'm just off Six Roads.

If you are looking about for planting and doing the list on the yellow pages, please drop me a line and tell me where is worthwhile or not ... I'm sure I can return the favour in some other way :)

jon

Sunniebgi Jul 12th 2008 10:58 pm

sorry bout that.

Fairview Nurseries - St. George
Hunte's Nurseries - St....(thomas, joseph.. help me here someone)
There is a plant nursery at Sheraton centre in one of the places near the large parking lot (not the deck but the lot). Growing Things I think it is.

Good luck.

caz1 Jul 14th 2008 7:45 pm

There is a fairly new garden centre up near Sunbury Plantation House near Six Roads. It's run by a lovely lady called Penny who also runs her own landscaping business and has some pretty big contracts in Royal Westmoreland. She knows her plants and is very helpful. They also sell other bits and pieces garden/house related, so worth a drive up to take a browse : )

jondent Jul 14th 2008 9:01 pm

Hi Caz, i know where the Plantation house is ... what's the name of the garden centre ? Is it off HW5 ? Cheers

/jon

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 14th 2008 10:00 pm

Jon,

There is a place near me, but until today I couldn't remember the name of it.

It's called Growing Things and it's on Golf Course Road, near Rockley. I haven't been inside, but it's quite big and looks like all sorts of plants/trees.

Good luck,
Foxy

caz1 Jul 15th 2008 6:09 am

Hi Jon, I can'tf or the life of me remember what it's called, but from the six rds roundabout, take the exit heading West (not sure of Highway no. but it has the little hardware store down on the left handside) and appx 1/2 mile along there's a very colourful signpost on the right pointing to the nursery/garden centre. It's the same turning where the blue unit/caravan is that sells fruit and veg, and the same turning as if your heading to Sunbury (if my memory is serving me correctly). I may be able to get a phone no. from someone ... I'll post it here if I do.

shines Jul 15th 2008 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jondent (Post 6556222)
Hi there expats !

I'm having a house built at the moment, well due to be completed in the next few days and need to do some planting.

I have the soil, irrigation, drips and lawn already being installed by the builder.

What I need is a list of recommended nurseries where I can get both young and mature plants for collection or delivery. A bit of searching reveals a bunch of places, but I'd rather not be driving all over the place.

One I have been past recently is Griffin up in St Thomas, that looked good for big stuff at any rate.

Any other thoughts very much welcomed

I'm on island from 9th August in my new house... deliveries of furniture, white goods etc kick off on the 11th !!

Cant wait :)

Jon

Hi Jon,

There is a garden centre place up the hill where Royal Westmoreland is. Also there is the Ministry of Agricuture place on the East coast in St Andrew (you would need to call to find out exactly where I went with my husband a few times but was not paying a lot of attention ;)) where you can buy young trees/plants from.

HTH S