Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Plans to Live and Work in Barbados

Plans to Live and Work in Barbados

Old Jun 5th 2016, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

LG16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plans to Live and Work in Barbados

Good afternoon,

I am a chartered physiotherapist with additional acupuncture and cupping qualifications hoping to live and work on Barbados.

I'm very much determined to make this happen and feel with my skills there could be a place for me.

I am in the early stages of planning and would appreciate any information or guidance that can be offered.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 9:58 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plans to Live and Work in Barbados

hi.. The requirements for living and working in Barbados are very strick when it comes to someone that does not have the proper documentation to live or work here. That means anyone with Barbadian citizenship, residency or a caricom citizen who meets the requirements.

You would have to basically find a job with an existing firm and they would need to then apply for a work permit (usually not cheap and lasts for maybe 3 years if that , sometimes only a year, and then has to be renewed..).. however.. while your qualifications are good, there are a number of Physiotherapist on the island and those that provide acupuncture as well as cupping

not trying to deter you, but those are the facts..
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Thank you Sunniebgi.

I appreciate the information and realise that it can be difficult but not altogether impossible.

You've given me a better idea of what I need to do to initially get the ball rolling.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 2:57 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to find an employer on the island happy to pay to sponsor your employment over a local or person with the right to live there. They would of course have to be happy that their custoners wouldnt find that a problem...

I dint know if theres an economic citizenship program in barbados, several islands will let you live/work if you invest sums like half a million in their economy.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:00 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Which brings up another thought, you might well find it easier on other islands, but you shouldnt think about doing it for money, you will almost certainly earn less but you may well enjoy a better lifestyle, though island life is very different, and some things are very expensive compared with europe or america.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:29 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

there is sort of a residency (not citizenship, I don't think) program in Barbados which does allow a minimum amount of money to be invested and then it does allow for residency.. we haven't sold our soul for the almighty dollar with regards to citizenship yet.. although.. I'm sure we have in other ways..

LG16.. as UK_Grenada has said.. don't come here thinking it's going to be a bed of roses, because it really is not. you may be earning a nice salary in the UK, but that isn't necessarily going to translate to what you will earn here.. (been there done that myself.. but as a citizen by marriage).. my daughter has returned for the summer, between university sessions, is very well trained in her business and has been offered a lowly sum to work odd hours when the company needs her (she is a chef/pastry chef, with 2 Associates degrees - and people still need to eat.. they just don't want to pay what people are really worth..).. just saying.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for your replies.

It's helpful to get your perspectives and experiences. It probably would make sense to look into other destinations too but the truth is that its Barbados or staying where I am. I'm certainly not in this for the money nor do I think it will be a bed of roses. It's more of a lifestyle decision. From my own experiences Barbados is a beautiful place with some lovely people. I love what I do and want to make the most at being able to practice anywhere in the world.

I have to say that although there are some pretty tight restrictions on foreigners coming to work in Barbados, I think the government have the right idea.

I'm going to continue to look into all possible avenues and see what happens.