Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

place to stay while apartment hunting

place to stay while apartment hunting

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

bimbound is an unknown quantity at this point
Question place to stay while apartment hunting

Hello all,

I am 33 yo single guy no kids travelling from the US and will be moving down to Barbados the last week in July to live (for at least 2 years). I just returned from there for a one week visit.
I have been reading this site for about 6 months now and am very thankful for all the info that I have gleaned from other threads.

Currently my thought is to stay at a cheap hotel/apt for a week or two when I get down there and take that time to look for a place. I plan to stay/live in Christ Church.

1. Is that enough time to find and secure a place?
2. Am I better off trying to find lodging for a month instead to give me more time to look?
3. Does anyone know of cheap accommodations for either 10 days or a month. (I have found a place Miami beach apts for about $60 US a night.) Seems to be a reasonable price but I wonder if $600 US might be better used on a one month contract giving me more time to look.
4. I have not secured a real estate agent as of yet so I am open to any advice in that area. I have spent quite a bit of time on cariblist.com so I have some ideas.

Thanks in Advance
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: place to stay while apartment hunting

Hi there

Have you checked out the Nation Newspaper on line? Was looking through the appt adds yesterday and was amazed how much is available and how the price seems to have come down

If you have a look and there is anything that catches your eye I can give em a call for ya to see if available - as in all my replies I prefer to help interactively via msn or yahoo if you need anything then drop me one of those ids and we can chat more on line.

Serendipidy
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi there

Have you checked out the Nation Newspaper on line? Was looking through the appt adds yesterday and was amazed how much is available and how the price seems to have come down

If you have a look and there is anything that catches your eye I can give em a call for ya to see if available - as in all my replies I prefer to help interactively via msn or yahoo if you need anything then drop me one of those ids and we can chat more on line.

Serendipidy
Thanks Serendipidy,

I haven't looked at the Nation on line. I will check it out. Hopefully with this post I will be able to send you a pm a little later. Thanks again.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:57 am
Saturday Surfer

Netsirk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey good luck, we just landed today for 3 years. We came for a week and picked a place but if I could do it over I'd do what another friend did down here and that was get a temp apt for a month and then had more time to choose a place to live.

South coast! Woooo!! :-)

Where are you from in the US?
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Island...
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: place to stay while apartment hunting

Originally Posted by shines
Welcome to the Island...
Many thanks! We are happy to be here. Settling in nicely so far. Netsirk had the advantage, having been here for the month of May. Now it is my turn to learn everything and meet people, and find some hobbies/interests to keep me busy in my spare time Should be fun!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Netsirk
Hey good luck, we just landed today for 3 years. We came for a week and picked a place but if I could do it over I'd do what another friend did down here and that was get a temp apt for a month and then had more time to choose a place to live.

South coast! Woooo!! :-)

Where are you from in the US?
Congrats on the succesful move I'm looking forward to it. Thanks to Serendipidy's advice I actually found quite a bit of options for pretty cheap temp housing, so I plan to maybe do 2-3 weeks of looking or do a six month lease if I am uncertain. I'm not too picky but I am realizing that their are quite a bit of options if given the time.

Also glad to hear you guys are settling in well. I am originally from Jamaica but have lived in Chicago since I was very young. Looking forward to the change of pace (and climate) and more macaroni pie

Where did you guys come in from?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:27 am
Saturday Surfer

Waiter: "Rice or potato sir?"

Netsirk: "I'll just take extra macaroni pie please"

We're from Toronto, Canada and happy to have the change of pace and climate as well! No more snow!!!!!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:39 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Netsirk and Foxy.. welcome and enjoy your stay...

Does this mean we can open the coffee shop now??? I'm in NC but will return on August 16th, and prepared to bring cookies...

After 16yrs, and owning a home for almost 11yrs, I'm afraid I'm not much help in the housing marked, although I do read the Cariblist and the postings in the newspaper on Sunday's..

Good luck with everything.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sunnie! We are glad to be here.

Netsirk has promised to come back from his current business trip with lots of espresso beans, so we can make our lattes/cappuccinos

So let us know when you're back and we'll fire up the pot in Cafe Netsirk!

F
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Two weeks and counting...Hmmm Maybe I should be packing.

Hope you guys are settling in well!!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

afish is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.cariblist.com its full of rental places.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:12 pm
Saturday Surfer

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
Netsirk and Foxy.. welcome and enjoy your stay...

Does this mean we can open the coffee shop now??? I'm in NC but will return on August 16th, and prepared to bring cookies...

After 16yrs, and owning a home for almost 11yrs, I'm afraid I'm not much help in the housing marked, although I do read the Cariblist and the postings in the newspaper on Sunday's..

Good luck with everything.
We have guests coming on Friday with a delivery from STARBUCK'S! !!!!!

Coffee shop opens next week once we have had our fill ;-)

Me love cookies.....
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

where is this coffee shop going to be then...?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:20 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Not back until the 16th August, so the cooking craving will not get fixed until after then.. and I will also be traveling with.. yes you guessed it.. Starbucks..