British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Permanent Residency - Immigrant? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/permanent-residency-immigrant-852540/)

julesdoopydoo Feb 11th 2015 1:59 pm

Permanent Residency - Immigrant?

Hi all,
I have just joined this forum having spent many months reading the wealth of information available. My husband and I plan to buy a retirement home in Barbados in the next couple of years.
Many people have asked questions about residency and visa extensions etc. I have contacted both the Immigration dept in Bridgetown and the High Commission in London and was advised to email my queries, however have had no response yet!
How easy is it to get the normal three month visa extended? If my (only) home is in Barbados I would feel very vulnerable if this request for an extension was to be rejected! Can anyone advise how easy or not it is to apply for and get Permanent Residency, and should I start the process before we move?
Several questions in one I know....thanks for reading.
Julie

Sunniebgi Feb 12th 2015 3:09 pm

Re: Permanent Residency - Immigrant?

http://immigration.gov.bb/pages/SERVICES.aspx

HI there.. thanks for joining and asking the questions. The link I have above is the services page for Barbados Immigration. doesn't help much but gives you the forms to fill out. the column on the left has a page for the permanent residency information. Doesn't actually say anything about how you qualify but it does tell you what you need to present along with the application.

some people will say, including me, that you can't just buy land, build a house and be able to live here.. That usually applies to people who want to come and live and work etc (not the ones retiring..) The current government has been very hard on expats and did make a ruling regarding a special "visa" (not sure that is the right word) for people will a certain level of income etc.. Can't speak to that.. and don't actually see it in this list.

When did you send the e-mail?? and to what address?? if you don't mind me asking. I'd recommend trying to call again. just to see if you can speak to a live person about the situation. and sorry.. I don't have any current info on how long the process takes. you could start and see how it goes...

julesdoopydoo Feb 12th 2015 4:31 pm

Hi Sunni
Thanks for your reply.
I emailed twice - to : [email protected] - the address the High Commission in London gave me and then to : [email protected] - the one on the Immigration Dept website.
Unfortunately the Special Entry Permit is for those much wealthier than us!
We will nevertheless enjoy our two week holiday soon!
Julie

Serendipidy Feb 19th 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Jules

The extension is a lottery..there are no hard and fast rules ..just the same as when you get at the airport you may get a week or 3 months. I suggest on your trip you go down to the Immigration department take a ticket and put your questions to someone in person..you will get the cold truth then.

Buying a house does not guarantee you can apply for anything just as if someone from Barbados buys a house in UK it doesn't allow them special privileges...Permanent residence is a status obtained through marriage or descent normally ..as you state the special status is for high income earners and I think retirees but not sure what the qualifying status is. Havent heard feedback on forum anytime recently on someone applying.

Actually it might be easier for you to call the Barbados High commission in London they are more likely to give the feedback in a digestible manner and you might not have to "suffer" a day at immigration in Bridgetown...even local bajans dread that event

Address
Barbadian High Commission in London, The United Kingdom

1 Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3ND
United Kingdom
Telephone (+44) 20 7299 7150
Telefax (+44) 20 7323 6872
E-mail [email protected]
Website
Office Hours Mon-Fri: 09.30-17.30
Head of Mission Mr Hugh Anthony Arthur, High Commissioner

julesdoopydoo Feb 19th 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Dips,

Thank you very much for your full and candid reply. I'm not sure I can face a visit to the Immigration department but I might have to bite the bullet as we really need this information before deciding what to do.
Julie

satellite_ian Feb 20th 2015 11:19 am

On recent visits to Immigration I have found the whole place to be a good deal more welcoming than previously.

Of course your visit may still take some time so go prepared...

Sunniebgi Feb 20th 2015 3:24 pm

Ian.. I think they have been given a talking to.. on the whole.. can't be certain but you aren't the first person who has said this..

Serendipidy Feb 20th 2015 4:08 pm

Great news if thats the case...hope we get to hear some good feedback because its such a shame when its simple to fix...would love to know who talked that they listened to tho lol..bet Simon Cowell had a word ;)