British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Passport/ Residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/passport-residency-742636/)

MerkzBlue Dec 22nd 2011 2:10 pm

Passport/ Residency

My grandparents are both bajan and have bajan residency and my father has bajan passport and residency, my mother is in the process of getting her passport but because she is applying through marriage it's taking a while, almost been 4 years. I want my residency but need to know how long it will take and if i can apply for it now even though my mother hasn't got hers yet. We all plan on moving to Barbados soon and my grandparents and my father are already over there, i'm going in June next year and wanted to have my passport/residency by then. Will that be possible?

Lyndi1 Dec 22nd 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Passport/ Residency

Hi MerkzBlue

My 13 year old daughter and myself applied for Barbadian citizenship at the same time. Hers took 6 months and mine 3 years. We did ours from the UK. I believe that children of Barbadians get citizenship quicker than the spouses. Not sure if this has changed now.

MerkzBlue Dec 23rd 2011 9:43 am

Thanks for the advice i guess i can apply now then!
My boyfriend whom is 30 was born in England but moved to Barbados at 7yrs old, he lived in Barbados until his early 20's and had citizenship and an ID card but can't seem to find them any more, seems to have got lost in the last 8-10yrs. How would he go about getting a Barbados passport?

Sunniebgi Dec 24th 2011 12:41 am

Ok, just trying to get the connection straight.. so your grandparents where born in Barbados and moved away?? So they have Barbados citizenship. Your father was born outside of Barbados?? but obviously obtained Barbados Citizenship by decent. if that is correct, even though he holds a Barbados passport, you are not entitled to Citizenship by decent. (I just want to make sure you and we are clear about your line of citzenship. Holding a passport usually means you can live here, which is residency, but it also depends on how the passport was obtained.

My Husbands brothers/sister were born here but moved away in their twenties. Their children have applied for Citizen by decent and have been granted.. but their children would not be eligible for that same consideration.

Also having residency doesn't entitle you to a passport, but a residency card.

I'm only questioning what you have written as it's sort of vague regarding the line of status.

Lyndi1 Dec 24th 2011 8:38 am

That's interesting Sunnie.

So if my daughter was to have children who were not born in Barbarbados, they would not automatically be able to apply for citizenship by decent like she did?

If that is the case then that means there are different 'levels' of citizenship. I was always under the impression that if you were a citizen, then that is what you are - everyone the same.