British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Passport Issuance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/passport-issuance-698498/)

blue_blanket Dec 29th 2010 7:02 pm

Passport Issuance

Hi,

My husband had a Barbados passport in the past that has since expired.
So we sent in all the information and the fee and are now waiting for the passport. It seems to be taking a pretty long time. We are living in the United States right now.

The thing is I am dealing with the Embassy in Washington DC and I am finding it a little aggravating. Someone telephoned last week but did not leave a message of any kind. Since then, whenever I call them they have either been closed or "There is no one in the office today". I ask when I should telephone and each and every time the answer is "You can try again tomorrow". :frown:

Does anyone have any idea why they would have telephoned and not left a message? I find actually getting any information from then is a little difficult, and I don't know if it's just me or if it's just how things are.

Thanks

Serendipidy Dec 29th 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Passport Issuance

nope sorry father xmas did not bring me any mind reading powers so cant help

RAZZMATAZZ Dec 29th 2010 9:27 pm

It's just how things are,only a little better than applying in Barbados itself.:)

blue_blanket Dec 30th 2010 1:42 am

Thanks Razzmatazz, I guess I will call tomorrow and hope for the best.

Sunniebgi Dec 31st 2010 7:04 pm

Even in Barbados a passport could take at least 6 weeks to get. An expired one, maybe longer. and I'm guessing, like in the US, the passport has to be process (or rather put together) in Barbados, not at the Barbados embassy in the US (US Passports are issued in the US, so while I apply for my US passport in Barbados, I still have to wait for it to be done and sent down).

I can tell you that, in general, over the Christmas to New Years Period no one moves very quickly.

and .. sorry can't read minds.. maybe the person didn't want to leave the message that your passport was ready and could be collected..etc.. or if there was something else to be said, just in case someone else received your messages instead of you.

Good luck.

blue_blanket Dec 31st 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks everyone for replying. I still haven't actually spoken to anyone regarding the mystery call but that is probably, as you said, the Christmas/New Years holidays.

lol..I guess the way I worded the question does make it look like I am expecting people to mind-read for me. I meant, really, if anyone knew under
what circumstances they would call and not leave a message. It was a little bit (not a lot, a little) worrisome but I shall call on Moday and hopefully solve the mystery. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

blue_blanket Jan 9th 2011 4:07 am

I finally got in touch with someone. Turns out, it is New York, not DC.
Anyhow, they are always very friendly and polite. In fact, she was very friendly and polite when telling me I needed to send them more money since they just raised the fee!

Anyhow, remembering the advice here I did not get upset and cheerfully(ish) sent it in. Passport should be here in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Serendipidy Jan 9th 2011 9:53 am

Congrats Blue - wow how cheeky tho you brought something at a lower price and cos they took soooo long to process it you have to pay a new price???

blue_blanket Jan 9th 2011 11:11 am

I know! That's what I thought too. Then I considered that the additional fee would be cheaper than therapy, and much less than airfare to fly there and actually make them staple and stamp the thing!

I hope they don't raise them again. I won't fall for it. :sneaky:
;)

Serendipidy Jan 9th 2011 11:43 am

:rofl:

Sunniebgi Jan 9th 2011 3:30 pm

Glad to hear passport saga is coming to an end sooner rather than later.. and trust me.. we all have to take a deep breath on the higher rates... just one of those things.