Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Owning a Car in Barbados...are they seriously that expensive!

Owning a Car in Barbados...are they seriously that expensive!

Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

The Sullivans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Owning a Car in Barbados...are they seriously that expensive!

Hi there expat forum. I was so touched with the last help I got, you guys are wonderful.

Now, I have looked into moving over and it looks like we are set to leave the UK for Barbados at the beginning of Jan 14. We have our visits in April and May set up to visit the properties, schools, etc. I'm happy with most things except one...the car situation.

OK. In the UK I probably go a bit over the top on the Car thing, without going into detail - and was happy to think I would settle for less...but my goodness...what is the second hand car market all about in Barbados? Second hand (not great quality Discovery V4 - 100k?). It's obviously an area where locals know how to play it and newbies like me end up paying a fortune? Or is it just simply that bad?

I would prefer to bring a car in that I have bought from the UK. Say a 4 year old Discovery V4, and say I paid £30k for it, just for the sake of this exercise. How much would it finally cost me to bring it in? Tax looks like 45% and then there are loads more things on top, but I can't work out how much the final figure is. Ie £30k value, then is it £15k on top to bring it in, £30k or £60k. I am baffled. Seriously.

Any help, very gratefully received.
And what a great forum facility. I love it. Well done whoever made it, and those of you that support it.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 3:54 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning a Car in Barbados...are they seriously that expensive!

I'm sorry I can't give you any details on the costs associated with bringing a car in.. someone on this forum likely can give you an idea or at least who in government to speak to..

However, I can tell you.. cars are expensive. for locals and expats. there are models of cars out there that are years old and people still want 50,000.00 BBD for them.. and the response I get, when I question it, is.. it's the model, the type etc..

I'm in the process of looking for a car for my soon to be 17 yr old, who will be driving herself to the Community College in September (hopefully) and herself to a job.. not only am I finding it difficult.. we also, of course, have the issue with new drivers insurance etc...

I'll give you an example. a 2010 Nissan Tiida is selling on a "used car lot" for 47,000.00BBD.. a new one isn't much more than that at Courtesy Garage.. That Discovery you want to bring in, will be a gold mine for you if you kept it for a few years and then tried to resale it.. you will do well. people are willing to pay that kind of money for that kind of vehicle.. (not me, but some people). What I need is something that will get my daughter from Point A to Point B..without braking down and isn't going to cost me an arm and 3 legs...

Good luck with your search and hope someone can be a bit more help than me..
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:42 am
Just Joined

The Sullivans is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi View Post
I'm sorry I can't give you any details on the costs associated with bringing a car in.. someone on this forum likely can give you an idea or at least who in government to speak to..

However, I can tell you.. cars are expensive. for locals and expats. there are models of cars out there that are years old and people still want 50,000.00 BBD for them.. and the response I get, when I question it, is.. it's the model, the type etc..

I'm in the process of looking for a car for my soon to be 17 yr old, who will be driving herself to the Community College in September (hopefully) and herself to a job.. not only am I finding it difficult.. we also, of course, have the issue with new drivers insurance etc...

I'll give you an example. a 2010 Nissan Tiida is selling on a "used car lot" for 47,000.00BBD.. a new one isn't much more than that at Courtesy Garage.. That Discovery you want to bring in, will be a gold mine for you if you kept it for a few years and then tried to resale it.. you will do well. people are willing to pay that kind of money for that kind of vehicle.. (not me, but some people). What I need is something that will get my daughter from Point A to Point B..without braking down and isn't going to cost me an arm and 3 legs...

Good luck with your search and hope someone can be a bit more help than me..
Many thanks and good luck finding you're daughter a reasonably priced car. So if I understand what you are saying properly, depreciation on vehicles isn't like it is elsewhere - eg if you have a 7 series BMW in reasonable condition, it's always worth what a 7 series BMW is worth, whether its 4 years old or 8 years old. I guess mileage is never going to be a big factor on the island? If so maybe ill bring in a couple of cars and make a few quid on them over a few years? May help towards the cost of the car itself, which would be great. Many thanks again
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:33 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

yes, regarding the depreciation value.. but a BMW (and a Honda) are always going to have a better perceived value, than say a suzuki etc.. and honestly, I wouldn't even try to do the "bring in to sell" thing.. there are many people who order and bring cars in to resale.. I don't know what the costs are concerning this, but.. Customs already doesn't like the regular people who do this, much less the little guy....
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi View Post
yes, regarding the depreciation value.. but a BMW (and a Honda) are always going to have a better perceived value, than say a suzuki etc.. and honestly, I wouldn't even try to do the "bring in to sell" thing.. there are many people who order and bring cars in to resale.. I don't know what the costs are concerning this, but.. Customs already doesn't like the regular people who do this, much less the little guy....
Here in St Lucia, citizens who are returning after a good period of time and those who have never lived here are allowed to bring in a 20ft container of personal effects plus a car duty free. I thought that this was a "treaty" arrangement (unified) throughout the Caribbean as an incentive for locals to return to the region.

Of course once it's here you cannot sell it on without permission from Customs and in any event before three years has expired and the car is flagged as duty free by the vehicle registry.

It doesn't apply in Barbados?

Ok, Returning Nationals ONLY:

http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Custo...s/barbados.pdf

Sorry!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 10th 2013 at 5:10 pm. Reason: Ok, Returning Nationals ONLY: