British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Opening times of food shops over the Christmas and New Year period (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/opening-times-food-shops-over-christmas-new-year-period-815132/)

Michael Digby Nov 14th 2013 8:19 am

Opening times of food shops over the Christmas and New Year period

We shall be arriving on the island on 2 December for a stay of 4 months. However we shall be joining a cruise on the 14th December and returning to Barbados on 28th December, my question is this; when do local food shops and supermarkets close for the Christmas and New Year break and will there be any food on the shelves during that period? I realise of course that shops need to be replenished after the holiday season but how long does it usually take for things to get back to normal? I guess what I'm really also asking is whether or not I need to stock up on some foodstuffs before we go away on 14th December? I am just a little bit worried about arriving back on the 28th and there being no food in the shops. Would really appreciate any help you can give me on this one please.

Sunniebgi Nov 14th 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Opening times of food shops over the Christmas and New Year period

The Supermarkets will close in the evening on the 24th of December and reopen on the morning of the 27th of December. there are shops that are attached to Gas Stations (Shell Shop etc) that will be open during those days that carry milk, eggs, bread, toilet paper etc. .and there are some small country stores that will also only be closed on Christmas Day and open on Boxing Day.. it's not like we close down for 3 weeks for Holidays, so I wouldn't think it would be necessary to stock up on much, if anything at all. I would say that if you felt you needed to, just those things that you know will not go sour.. but really no need to ..

Sunniebgi Nov 14th 2013 9:52 pm

Re: Opening times of food shops over the Christmas and New Year period

forgot to add.. New Years Day will be the only day they are closed.. maybe closing early on the 31st December.. but will be open on the 2nd for sure..

Mr. Digby.. I don't mean to sound rude.. but I'm not sure where you think you are actually going to be living.. Barbados is about as 1st world as you can get for a "3rd world" listed country.. and the Christmas/New Years Holidays fallen right slam in the beginning of our most important tourist season, the stores and shops etc will be open and operations.. except for the traditional Bank Holidays.. oh their might be a few things not on the shelve on the morning of the 27th of December.. but by the afternoon, you should find much of what you need...

If you plan to be in Barbados for Easter, however.. this would worry me more.. Barbados shuts down on Good Friday.. open on Saturday and shuts again on Easter Sunday and Monday.. not everything but many things.. Especially Good Friday.. (and for some Bajans.. that includes the beach)...