Open a business in bbs?

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:56 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open a business in bbs?

Actually Terry on reflection ( and honestly not being flippant) how brilliant would it be if my experiences were in the minority and that others have had the experience you have because we dont get that feedback here so if others out there have been able to set up businesses etc and have backing in Barbados from government bodies please submit your experiences cos those of us who regularly contribute maybe out of the loop and just have had exceptional poor experiences.

Would be great to be able to encourage others that there is still hope for foreign investors in Barbados because its good news for my Bajan friends lively hood .
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

evie202 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Actually Terry on reflection ( and honestly not being flippant) how brilliant would it be if my experiences were in the minority and that others have had the experience you have because we dont get that feedback here so if others out there have been able to set up businesses etc and have backing in Barbados from government bodies please submit your experiences cos those of us who regularly contribute maybe out of the loop and just have had exceptional poor experiences.

Would be great to be able to encourage others that there is still hope for foreign investors in Barbados because its good news for my Bajan friends lively hood .
Serendipidy , your experiences are not in the minority , we had no help from anyone , including Invest Barbados . I started up our business and am leaving it leased out to some Bajan friends after 15 months of battle .
There is NO hope and i intend to go to the British newspapers with our story . We were treated like crap in Immigration , and pretty much shouted at by a very threatening bloke , why do you never have a camera when you need it !? We have fallen out of love with Barbados and can't wait to leave .
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:27 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Evie someone actually mentioned to me that they should take their stories to the Daily Mail who have recently been reporting about the lack of action taken about crime against British Visitors.

I understand your frustration and I really dont get why it all seems to be aimed at the British - feedback from Canadian and American Expats is no where near like the British im speaking to!

I was told by immigration "this aint your home so now go home" after paying taxes and investing in the economy for 5 years if we spoke to a foreign immigrant like that we would not only loose our jobs but probably end up in front of a court - where is the accountability on a human rights level just to be treated with humanity and consideration?
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:40 pm

I really do just wanna say something here though cos as a typical british reserve we never name and shame pepetrators and let them hide behind our feelings that they should be anonymous and in course they continue to do their deeds in the dark.

Maybe if we stopped being typically British and as expats identify good and bad experiences including names and see if there is consistency which might make people accountable both for good service and bad. As Bajan tax payers we pay these peoples wages! they are civil servants who for some have lost the concept of civil. I doubt for one moment that our American counterparts would take a back seat and whinge in whispers for fear of reprisals.

Although things did finish off badly with immigration I must say Mr Banfield in the Work Permits section did everything he could to make sure the experiences was less painful but his hands were tied with ever changing concepts and lack of proper computer systems and there was a lady who deals with the serving of notice to leave the island who couldnt have been more helpful have a feeling that her name was Ms Arthur - she was caring and considerate through an awful experience.

I found the Chief Immigration Officer herself to be rude and unhelpful and if I could have reported her to anyone then I would have and i think the name of the guy who told me "this is not your home now go home" to be a Mr White - I asked him if my partner could attend the outcome meeting and he said no way all you need now is God!! How insulting cos im sure he did not have God in his heart when he callously laughed as he instructed me to get off the island in 2 weeks. These people are playing with peoples livelihoods and dreams and seem not accountable to anyone !! AT PRESENT! As Terry pointed out "NEVER argue with them" in my opinion they are bullies and weild their power with no accountability.

They dont treat their own people any better either and as for other caribbean citizens i was reading in the news that at every Caricom meeting one of the heads of states (including Trinidad, Jamaica and St Vincent) complains about treatment of their citizens by Barbados immigration representatives. There are currently talks of taking some cases to human rights court because Barbados is just not taking accountability for these peoples actions

We are all accountable in the end to a higher power in my reckoning but right now some need holding to account sooner!

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 4th 2011 at 12:47 am.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

TERRYBENT is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, now I have heard of horror stories of people being made to leave, but in most cases you eventually get to hear the real reason. Clearly some people have been forced out for whatever reason, and this is not the place to go into individual cases, as I or someone else living here or someone looking to return could put themselves in the firing line!

What I will say I moved here in 04 and yes things were easier, that said as I mentioned earlier I know someone who moved here a year ago with no problem, on what on paper they had no hope of achieving, and they are still here!

I have gone out of my way to be seen to be politically neutral, befriending people on both sides but making it clear that I support neither. I have battled both the previous and current Governments for a licence to set up a new business, and am still 4 years on no further forward, and at times I get VERY frustrated. BUT the first time I go to the press (as an accredited journalist) I know I will be on the first plane home, so I have to bite my lip. Yes, IF the inevitable happens I will not only tell the story to the UK press but am a good way through a book, which may never see the light of day if things go well. Let me assure you that if you do go to the press you will never enter Barbados again, now your experience may well have been that bad you never want to anyway, but let me tell you the story you mention of the Holetown problems last year went a lot deeper, and I was asked to write the story for The Sun, I refused despite the fact I could have had a front page story in the biggest selling paper in the UK because of what it would mean to me. Also I spoke with a number of the victims who asked for the story to be written BUT when I told them I needed to use their names they withdrew.

I have heard stories of people going home on a holiday and returning to BGI only to be put back on the plane home "For no apparent reason". When you delve deeper in most cases it is because they overstayed their visa before they left. People think they can ignore the date on their stamp and go to Immigration when they feel like it, do they think the UK operates that policy? because they dont and neither does Barbados, overstay a day and you run the risk of being denied. Do you not think Nationals of other countries talk of the UK like some people feel about Barbados? Absolutely!

I have every sympathy for people who are being LEGITIMATELY thrown off the island because as you say some people in Immigration make very odd decisions, however, you have the right of appeal, and if you choose not to exercise that, then you have only yourself to blame.

Here is a hint I have found out in my dealings trying to get my licence, if you are dealing with the Government, and by that Immigration or whoever as the heads of all of these entities change following an election because they are all political "Jobs for the Boy's" appointments, use and Attorney who is either a member of the ruling party or works for the law firm of a government minister! You have an issue and use the wrong attorney and you are snookered as I have found out! I named an Attorney to represent my Company on my last application (which is supposed to be decided in 4 weeks by law and we are now over 3 years into my latest battle) only to find out he has decided to stand for the opposition at the next election! Now I know why things are taking so long, come a change of government perhaps things will change for me!

You have to speak to people who have been here a while, as I did, and play by their rules because rule One is, this is our country and we dont care what happens in your country this is the way we do it, if you fail to accept that no matter how stupid it seems you have lost before you start. I speak to so many people who are going to do this, or that and when I tell them it doesn't work like that here they think they can change things, they cant and wont!

I have been awaiting a meeting with the current PM over my problem but one thing I do intend to speak to him about is the issue of Visa's and people who buy property and then have issues being able to live in it! That said the proposed new Immigration Act makes the rules very clear unlike the current one, which is not helped by the BTA in London telling Brits they are entitled to a 6 month entry stamp. Again I know and meet a lot of people who have bought property here to holiday in, and always tell them if your visa expires on whatever date, make sure you go in for an extension they working day before it expires and usually these people have no problems, it seems to be the ones who say What is the point I am only going to be here another 3 days, and then wonder why they get turned away next time they try to enter, It is their country, their rules and from the experiences I have encountered I know of nobody who has stuck to the rules who has had a problem. Obviously that does not apply to everyone and I am not saying I am right and they are wrong!

I just think it would be the right thing for the Moderators on the pages (and PLEASE dont think this is meant as a slight on you Serendipity (are you still here if so lets met up for a beer) because I mean every Moderator on every country page to make it clear that any comments are those of the poster and are their own experience and not necessarily everybody's experience, as in some cases it works out totally different, and in the future who knows you may all be reading my book of everything I have gone through in the past 7 years! LOL

If you want to try Barbados, and everyone has their own expectations and experiences and my philosophy is that If I had not been through what I have experienced you dont know how frustrating life can get, you will always be left wondering WHAT IF?

I hope everyone here, despite their individual experiences, see's Barbados for what it is, the same as everywhere else in the World but with palm trees!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the update Terry would love to read your book - even half way through and I totally agree that whilst being at the mercy of the Barbados Immigration Department for your livelyhood it is not advisable to speak out - we are so used to being able to express ourselves "at home" and I have indeed learnt thats one of the many blessings we should appreciate about the UK

In reference to your comment on personal viewpoints the rules of British Expats when signing up for your account is clearly covered as below with a full list available on the above menu at Site Rules. It would be impossible to add personally that note to all threads but if you feel strongly please contact Site Administrators.

12. Posts
Messages posted at this site are the sole opinion and responsibility of the poster. You are responsible for your own posts and agree not to hold britishexpats.com liable for any messages posted. Periodically the Moderators of BritishExpats.com will post his or her comments. These comments may not necessarily reflect the opinions of BritishExpats.com, or it's owners.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Serendipity, LMAO! Who EVER reads those? LOL Every site I go on, every piece of software I download, hell I'd spend all day reading those things!

I take your point and sometimes these "debates" get out of hand which is why I rarely come onto the site, it was only because I happened to be posting asking a question to any expats in Martinique and Aruba that I saw it! The trouble is anyone who has had a real bad experience will obviously be negative and those that haven't will be positive. I am sort of in the middle, I have had good and downright awful BUT it is the way things work here and you either accept it for what it is, or leave!

At the moment to be honest I have to look at considering the latter action, not because I want to and not because anyone is forcing me, but simply because what I want to do is not being made easy and I have to accept that, but before I do go I want to be sure I have done everything possible to try to make it happen, that's the way I am, others may not have the drive to stick it out and give up easily, we are all made different! Neither of us is right or wrong.

Anyway, the drink offer is still available, the book is about half complete and I have someone very interested in publishing it, but have had to sign confidentiality agreement or would email you it so far, if I go ahead as soon as I can will send you an e-copy! If it never sees the light of day because i win through you can also have it! LOL May become a collectors item or best seller when I die! A lot of it you really would not believe, not many people can say that The Prime Minister (Mr Thompson) phoned them on April Fools Day and came within a fraction of an inch of hearing the most terrible abuse ever because until i recognised his voice, I thought it was a friend messing about! Now that really would have been first plane home!

As I said I have sent Maria a Personal Message and I hope she makes the right decision for her and her family, and if they choose to come it all works well for them, only they can decide! Fact is we all make decisions in life which either work or fail dismally but no matter what happens at least I will always know I tried rather than die always wondering!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:02 am
Just Joined

pavani is an unknown quantity at this point

Ugh... i read all the posts.

What you writes seems you are describing my country. If you try to explain your rights to some office, probably you will never end. If you don't say anything, after long time , you will have it. If you want use the justice , don't worry ... it is a joke! If you are lucky, may be after 20/30 years can have your rights (this is italy).

In italy there are thousands expat from middle east and they not want follow our laws and our traditions. Thanks to our shi**ing politics, they are imposing their traditions to us!! For this and many other things, we want leave this fu**ing country. I ashamed to be italian!

But..... when we'll be moved, we WANT follow the laws and traditions of the new country and hope in future it will be mine too.

After this.... Terry wrote "As the OWNER/INVESTOR in a business be it a bar or whatever you will, and I did, get a work permit". Is this true and legal? How long is this permit? What for the rest of my family?

Serendipidy wrote "If and when a permit is allocated it will be for 1-3 years and I think the cost I paid years ago was around $4000bds for 3 years." Usually is this payment in advance or just when they give the permit?

I'm a little scared, please explain a little better... the immigration office can revoke or not renew a permit without a valid cause? I'm not looking for an high risk investment, spent money for years and a day found a gift (leave the island in 2 weeks.)

Sorry for my english!!!!

Maria

Last edited by Serendipidy; Aug 6th 2011 at 2:55 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

pavani is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't edit my message...

I'm not looking for an high risk investment, spent money for years and a day found a gift (leave the island in 2 weeks) is not really what i want.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:45 am

Hi Maria the payment of around $4000 was when the permit was approved.

Both Terry and I received permits under a previous government when it was a lot easier to get permits - the permit was just for myself not sure about Terry's situation and if his included has family.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:03 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not really going to comment here, as I don't have issues at this point with immigration (except how they treat people and there is no black and white only gray area's)..

This is not only an issue with immigration but with other areas within the government and their agencies as well.. sooo, as stated somewhere before, it not only happens to those wanting work permits etc, but also to those Barbadians simply trying to live in Barbados.

What is good for one, is not good for another.. what is done for one is not done for another.. as simple as trying to organize an event.. one is told one thing and one another.. and one might be told something for years.. and all of a sudden the rules change (because .. also as said before.. someone pisses someone off and all heck breaks lose). There are laws on the books that have been there for years but never enforced.. and wham one day.. you have to follow the rule.. (or not, depending on who you are and what you are doing).

Now.. Does this only happen in Barbados.. I seriously doubt it.. Running to The Daily Mail isn't really going to solve this issue.. keeping your month shut because you are frightened for what might happen, isn't going to help either.. sooo.. many catch 22's going on here. .and that's the way of life on a small island.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Dutchnick is an unknown quantity at this point

It all sounds a little frightening and off-putting! My brother and his wife have bought a house in Barbados and have convinced us that we should join them. They do not retire from the UK for a couple of years and I have a business that is purely internet based and the idea of running a business sitting in the sun with a rum punch and a keyboard has a certain appeal, compared with Holland! As it happens my son is a gifted chef and we had thought of buying a restaurant (we have an existing one in mind and it is on offer) with a view to setting him up and being involved ourselves. To set up and run the on-line business will require me to employ two or three people and I want to do it properly, register the business etc and obviously get permits etc. Is it really that difficult? Why are there such conflicting views about the regs? Any comments would be appreciated.regards
Dutchnick
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Dutchnick
Under the PROPOSED new Immigration Act, which is not in force nor accepted into law, but to some extent being applied now (As you will gather they make it up as they go along) they are proposing a new category for retired persons called Special Entry Permit which is for persons OWNING a property here and being 60 years or over (or 55 and show that you have full medical insurance and the ability to support yourself until you can apply at 60). Under this you are NOT allowed to do ANY work. You also have to prove, you are retired, have adequate pension to live the rest of your life upon, be in good mental and physical health (You have to pass their medical), evidence of health insurance, and only bring a spouse, no dependants allowed as part of the application.

As for your son the only way he would qualify is if you made him the "Investor/MD" of a business or he could get a job with one of the big hotels if he is highly qualified on paper and the hotel could not find anyone better locally (But he would need to apply for an advertised job and get it and the work permit BEFORE entering the island!).

As i told Maria there are a number of restaurants on the market at the moment and as I and a TOP restauranteur discussed only recently, EVERY restaurant is for sale for the right price, they are all going through hard times.
If you want to ask any more questions please feel free to personal message me as there are things which cannot be said in a public forum!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

biswa is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all

I think in Barbados you have good future in doing hotel business

Hope to see more posting related to Barbados holidays
Attached Thumbnails Open a business in bbs?-79212433.jpg   Open a business in bbs?-cmforum12.jpg   Open a business in bbs?-images.jpg  
Old Jul 27th 2012, 10:53 am

Hi Biswa and welcome... you will not really get any posts on holidays to barbados as this is an expat site which is for british (and others) people who actually live(short term or long term) in barbados or are planning to.. its not a visitor site as such